ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Calgary
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Aerospace engineeringEngineering › Industrial engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringEngineering › Nuclear engineeringEngineering › OtherEngineering › Simulation engineeringEngineering › Thermal engineeringPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/01/2023 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCanada › Calgary
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
The Computational Fluid & Structural Mechanics group (CFSMgroup) at the University of Calgary has an open fully-funded Ph.D. position in Numerical Modeling and Simulation for Subsonic and Supersonic Combustion.
The project focuses around design and analysis of high-speed air-breathing propulsion concepts. The Ph.D. role will be around the combustion chamber design and operation which is a key for engine performance and for produced emissions. During this process, fundamental questions related to turbulence and flame stability will be explored. The effect of combustion instabilities, such as pressure oscillations, on the overall performance of the engines will be investigated in details and possible solutions to remedy this issue will be provided.
The Ph.D. role will be to:
- validate different combustion models for ramjet combustion using experimental data (e.g. ONERA ramjet experiments)
- simulate combustion process in ramjet using OpenFOAM
- implement combustion models in in-house FEM code
The potential candidates should have:
- a strong background in numerical methods and fluid mechanics
- prior experience with combustion modeling and/or analysis and/or theory (or completed courses in combustion)
- experience in developing numerical models, codes, and computation algorithms
- experience with CFD using FEM or FVM
- strong hands-on experience with computing in Fortran, C/C++, Python, or other languages
- familiarity with at least one mesh generation tool (Gmsh, ANSA, Pointwise, or other)
- strong interest and self-motivation to perform cutting-edge research and conquer challenges in real-world engineering and to publish high-impact papers.
Experience with parallel computing (MPI, CUDA) is beneficial.
CFSMgroup is a part of the University of Calgary Aerospace Network (UCAN), https://www.ucalgary.ca/aerospace , that involves collaboration with national and international academic institutions, industrial partners and governmental agencies, including NASA, Canadian Space Agency (CSA), Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC), US Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), Lockheed Martin, Peraton, and more. Research projects are also sponsored by various Canadian small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and startups in aerospace, which is a potential employment opportunity after the degree completion.
Position is available starting January 2022 ((the actual start date can be negotiated)). Please send to Dr. Artem Korobenko (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- up-to-date CV
- unofficial transcripts
- unofficial English language test results (if applicable)
- one-page cover letter. In your cover letter, please include projects you worked on and a short proposal (few paragraphs) for the potential research topic (around combustion modeling) that you would like to work on during your program at the University of Calgary.
Computational Fluid and Structural Mechanics group: https://www.cfsmgroup.com/
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
EURAXESS offer ID: 413341
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.