ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › InformaticsMathematics › Probability theoryMathematics › Statistics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/01/2019 16:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONRomania › Bucharest
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40 hours per week (academic flexibility)
OFFER STARTING DATE15/02/2019
We are looking to hire one research assistant as a biostatistician in aging research. The post is funded by a EU POC-A1-A1.1.4-E- 2015 Competitiveness Operational Programme 2014-2020 award, for the development of a „Multi-omics prediction system for prioritization of gerontological interventions” (GERONTOMICS). The duration of the post is one year and 9 months. The selected candidate will work full-time in the project.
GERONTOMICS aims to use a systems biology approach to combine data from different “omics” levels (e.g.: genomic, transcriptomic, epigenomic, etc) and from various models of ageing in order to create a large-scale data-driven analysis and prediction platform for experimental interventions in gerontology.
The project will involve both computational aspects (data aggregation and processing, multidimensional data analysis, network-based methods, systems theory approaches, etc) as well as wet-lab experiments (some of the predicted interventions will be tested in vivo), with a highly multi-disciplinary team.
Candidates should be highly motivated, with a PhD (or studying for the PhD title) in Statistics (or a similar/related field – ex: Math, Physics, Economics, Computer Science, etc). Knowledge in biology will be considered an advantage but is not mandatory.
As a biostatistician the candidate’s responsibility will be to:
- Carry out statistical analyses for the datasets of interest (including multi-dataset analysis)
- Design (together with the rest of the team) the bioinformatics analyses,
- Collaborate with the rest of team to implement algorithms used towards training and evaluating complex machine learning models;
- Integrate and interpret results from multiple analyses,
- Create adequate mathematical/computational models in relation to the biology of ageing,
- Publish and present results to the group, at scientific meetings and in scientific papers
While not the main focus of the post, being in an interdisciplinary team will also offer the successful candidate the opportunity to train in other fields than his/her own (e.g. gerontology, theoretical and experimental biology, bioinformatics, computer science, machine learning and systems biology).
The post will require the successful candidate to be able to present his/her work to the rest of the group and occasionally might also require him/her to attend and present at national and international meetings. Depending on the existing skill set and the candidate’s career goals, attendance to various training courses could also be available.
International team, multi-disciplinary academic environment
Ideal candidate should have a PhD degree or PhD student in Statistics. Equivalent/similar field (ex: Math, Physics, Economics, Computer Science) is acceptable, providing the candidate will have a strong background in Statistics.
More information can be found at: http://www.aging-research.group/careers/
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELMathematics: Bachelor Degree or equivalentComputer science: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Mandatory skill requirements:
- Formal training as a statistician or similar (strong background in statistics)
- Hands on experience with statistical methods, in particular in biology (this will be considered an advantage)
- Being able/open to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to communicate (oral/written/presentations) and work well in a team
Optional but desirable skills:
- Familiarity with problems and concepts in biology
- Familiarity with theoretical concepts from probability theory used in machine learning (ex. Bayesian reasoning, parametric estimators, maximum likelihood estimation);
For eligibility, the job application must include the following documents (additional documents will be required when signing the contract):
- Request for job application (form can be found on our website)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of diploma for highest academic grade achieved
- Letter of intent
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation
It should be noted, that upon succesful selection, the candidate might be required to provide additional documents (eg: copy of official ID, all academic diplomas, criminal records, etc) or autorized translations of these (if the official document language is not Romanian).
Job applications should be sent before 16:00, 28.01.2019, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly at the Institute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy, Bucharest, Splaiul Independentei, nr 296, sector 6, room 307 (Human resources), for the attention of Dr. Robi Tacutu.
We estimate that job interviews will take place within the next week after the job deadline, at the Institute’s location (in special cases, skype interviews can also be arranged).
EURAXESS offer ID: 281089