ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)- BarcelonaTECH
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Communication engineeringEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineeringPhysics › Computational physicsPhysics › ElectromagnetismPhysics › Quantum mechanicsTechnology › Remote sensing
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/06/2017 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Terrassa
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2018
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER722337
The UPC Lightning Research Group is looking for a qualified Ph.D. student within the H2020 SAINT project: "Science And INnovation with Thunderstorms".
In the last 20 years it has been discovered that thunderstorms can produce transient beams of very energetic radiation escaping into space, known as Terrestrial Gamma-Ray Flashes. At the same time, lightning leaders in negative polarity cloud-to-ground flashes have been observed to produce X-rays at the ground. To study this phenomenon in much more detail than before, a new space mission "Atmosphere-Space Interactions Monitor" (ASIM) on the International Space Station is about to start in 2017. The general objective of the Ph.D. is to increase our knowledge of the emission of energetic radiation and processes during lightning flashes.
The UPC group has developed extensive infrastructure for study of lightning, thunderstorms and their energetic and radio emissions as well as high-voltage experimental facilities and computational models. For more information, visit our website: http://www.lrg.upc.edu
1) The student will develop a VHF digital interferometer. This system uses the phase differences of arriving pulses to multiple antennas to compute the direction to emission sources at the micro/nanosecond scale during the processes in lightning flashes. Such system will provide much higher spatial and temporal resolution than the 3D Lightning Mapping Array of the UPC group.
2) By deploying the new interferometer in field campaigns, the student will use the data to study the lightning processes at the moment of energetic emissions detected at the ground or from space, and publish the research.
3) Secondments (research visits of a few months) are scheduled with high-voltage laboratory DENA in Spain, University of Bath (UK) and the Danish Technical University (DTU).
4) The student will participate in SAINT workshops and collaborations and present the work at conferences.
Besides the specific objectives, the project will contribute to the general knowledge of lightning and thunderstorms useful for lightning protection, warning and detection.
The salary will be in line with the European Commission rules for Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant holders (Early-Stage Researchers, Initial Training Network).
The period of employment is 3 years.
The position is open to applicants from around the world, with the limitation that at the time of recruitment by the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, researchers must not have been resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date.
Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) shall, at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
The selection is based on qualifications and fit to the project in a competitive process and subject to approval by the Project Recruitment Committee and the Ph.D. program on Electrical Engineering of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELAll: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Candidates shall have experience in signal processing (e.g. frequency analysis such as FFT and filtering).
- Candidates shall have a solid base in electromagnetism.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)- BarcelonaTECH
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 214744