RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE22/10/2017 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK25
OFFER STARTING DATE15/11/2017
A call is open for one technical assistant at the Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), in the context of the “MACBIOIDI: Promoting the cohesion of Macaronesian regions through a common ICT platform for biomedical R & D & i” project financed by the EU under the INTERREG program (MAC/1.1.b/098) under the following conditions:
Scientific areas: Computer Science, Human Computer Interaction
The ideal candidate would be a computer scientist, electric, electronic or tele-communications engineer or a closely related discipline with background in one or more of the following fields: Game development, Human Computer Interaction, Signal processing. Experience in ICT for health, depth sensors or full body tracking technologies will be a plus.
Applicants should fulfill the following requirements:
- Currently studying a Bachelor degree or equivalent in computer science, electric, electronic or tele-communications engineering or other relevant disciplines for the project;
- Strong oral and written English communication skills, people skills, the ability to work independently as well as a team member of the NeuroRehabLab (http://neurorehabilitation.m-iti.org/lab/) and taking the initiative and being proactive;
- Willingness to participate and lead End—User evaluations with healthy, elderly and patients.
The main task for the accepted candidate will be to support the research project with the development of Virtual Rehabilitation scenarios applied to stroke, and related research tools.
The main tasks will consist of:
- supporting the development of virtual reality scenarios using the Unity game engine (https://unity3d.com/) for post stroke rehabilitation, with emphasis on the motor aspects and the use of physiological signals such as EEG (Electroencephalography).
- contributing to the integration of the project developments in 3D Slicer (https://www.slicer.org/), an open source software platform for medical image informatics, image processing, and three-dimensional visualization.
- eventual support tasks such as web and/or system administration.
Legislation and regulations: The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
Work place: The candidate will work within an interdisciplinary team of researchers with competences in both technical and clinical domains. The work will be conducted at Madeira-ITI (Funchal, Portugal) in close collaboration with the MACBIOIDI project partners and end users, under the supervision of Prof. Sergi Bermúdez i Badia and Mónica da Silva Cameirão (http://neurorehabilitation.m-iti.org).
Scholarship length: The scholarship will have a length of 6 months (with the option of renewing the contract for the same duration), with an expected start as soon as possible. The MACBIOIDI project end is 31st of December 2019.
Monthly stipend: The student will work 25 hours/week and will receive a stipend of 385€/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Voluntary Social Security (SSV) and accidents insurance are included.
Selection process: The selection process will be based on:
- Motivation letter (10%)
- Curriculum Vitae (30%)
- Previous experience (20%)
- Interview (40%)
Recommendation letters are facultative but can contribute positively to the evaluation. Speaking and understanding Portuguese will also be considered as a plus.
Selection committee: Prof. Dr. Mónica S. Cameirão (President), Prof. Dr. Sergi Bermúdez i Badia and MSc Fábio Pereira.
Notification of results: The final results will be published through an ordered list by final note that will be posted in a visible and public place at the Madeira-ITI, being all candidates notified by email.
Candidacy term and applications form: The competition will be open over the period of 12-10-2017 and 22-10-2017.
Required documents include a transcript of degrees, CV and motivation letter.
Applications and queries must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “MACBIOIDI_HR03”.
EURAXESS offer ID: 182792