ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/10/2016 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONRomania › Bucharest
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKTo be discussed (at least 1/2 of full-time)
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2016
The post is funded by a EU POC-A1-A1.1.4-E- 2015 Competitiveness Operational Programme 2014-2020 award, for the development of a „Multi-omics prediction system for prioritization of gerontological interventions” (GERONTOMICS). The duration of the post is one year, extendable for up to 4 years, based on satisfactory performance. The selected candidate will work part-time in the project.
GERONTOMICS aims to use a systems biology approach to combine data from different “omics” levels (e.g.: genomic, transcriptomic, epigenomic, etc) and from various models of ageing in order to create a large-scale data-driven analysis and prediction platform for experimental interventions in gerontology.
The project will involve both computational aspects (data aggregation and processing, multidimensional data analysis, network-based methods, systems theory approaches, etc) as well as wet-lab experiments (some of the predicted interventions will be tested in vivo), with a highly multi-disciplinary team.
Candidates should be highly motivated, with experience in front-end development and web design, and with a good knowledge of the English language. Competencies in or familiarity with a Biology-related field of study would be an advantage but are not required.
As a front-end developer the candidate’s responsibility will be to:
- collaborate with the rest of the web-development team in order to identify usability issues,
- design agile and user-friendly interfaces,
- implement the front-end code (writing clean and testable code) for the group’s databases/resources
- create technical documentation and user-guides for the team and external users
While not the main focus of the post, being in an interdisciplinary team will also offer the successful candidate the opportunity to train in other fields than his/her own (e.g. gerontology, theoretical and experimental biology, bioinformatics, computer science – including back-end technologies, statistics and systems biology).
The post will require the succesful candidate to be able to present his/her work to the rest of the group. Depending on the existing skill set and the candidate’s career goals, attendance to various training courses could also be available.
For any formal or informal inquiries (e.g. discussing ideas of fun team building activities), prospective students and postdocs are encouraged to contact me by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
International team, multi-disciplinary academic environment, flexible program
Web site for additional job details
- Work experience as a front-end developer or web programmer
- Hands on experience with markup languages (HTML, XML) and various front-end technologies (JS, CSS, JQuery, etc)
- Good capacity at combining usability with visual design
- Enjoying to keep up-to-date with new digital technologies
- Some familiarity with back-end technologies
- Being able/open to work in a multi-disciplinary team and in a fast-paced, agile work environment
- Ability to communicate (oral/written/presentations) and work well in a team
Optional but desirable skills:
- BSc degree in Computer Science or an IT relevant field
- Experience in bioinformatics or biology will help with your group integration but is not required and will not be a selection criterion
- Highschool Diploma
For eligibility, the job application must include the following documents (additional documents will be required when signing the contract):
- Request for job application
- Curriculum Vitae including Work Portfolio
- Copy of diploma for highest academic grade achieved
- Letter of intent
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation
Job applications should be sent before 16:00, 21.10.2016, by e-mail at email@example.com or directly at the Institute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy, Bucharest, Splaiul Independentei, nr 296, sector 6, room 307 (Human resources), for the attention of Dr. Robi Tacutu.
Job interviews will take place on 25.10.2016, at 11:00 at the Institute’s location (in special cases, skype interviews can also be arranged).
Job posted on: 21.09.2016
EURAXESS offer ID: 126483
EURAXESS old offer ID: 34111457