Instituto de Medicina Molecular João Lobo Antunes (iMM) opens a call to hire a Postdoctoral Researcher correspondent to the initial level according to the Applicable Regulation, under an Unfixed-term contract, under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) – Call nr 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by National Funds (FCT-MEC), under the research project PTDC/MED-NEU/29325/2017 – “Hippocampalcortical coordination and the mechanisms of cognition: the formation and retrieval of contextual memory during decisionmaking” (MNEMOSpike).
Work Plan Activities
- In vivo and in vitro functional dissection of a novel multi-sensory integrator in the medial secondary visual cortex (area Oc2M or V2M);
- Anatomical characterization of the circuits connecting V1, Au1 with Oc2M, and these with the hippocampus (HIPP);
- In vitro functional characterization of Oc2M´s local microcircuits, and its electrophysiological responses to optogenetic stimulation of V1 and Au1 terminals;
- In vivo characterization of Oc2M responses to visual and auditory stimulation, and the role if Oc2M in stimulus-trajectory association tasks;
- Assist and advise, technically and scientifically, other lab members in their ongoing projects;
- Develop theoretical models of hippocampal-cortical circuit mechanisms.
Members of the Jury:
According to article nr 13 from RJEC, the jury is composed by Professors Miguel Remondes (President of the Jury and Project´s PI), Luisa Lopes and Tiago Maia (all PhD’s).
Start Date and workplace:
The contract is expected to start in January 2020 and will remain only for the necessary execution period of the work plan; the activities will be developed in iMM installations and/or other necessary locations to their execution.
Gross monthly Remuneration is 2.128,34€, in accordance with subsection a), section 1, article 15 from Law nr 57/2017, 19th July, and with the remuneration position at initial level predicted in article 2 of Regulatory Decree nr 11-A/2017, of 29th December, correspondent to level 33 at Tabela Remuneratória Única, approved by Order nr 1553C/2008, 31st December.
Profile of Candidate:
- PhD in Physics, Biology, Electrical/electronics Engineering, Biotechniology or akin areas;
- Experience in in vivo and in vitro electrophysiology recordings in the rodent brain, evidenced by relevant publications in high-impact, international, peer-reviewed journals;
- Solid knowledge of engineering applied to data acquisition, computation, and computational statistics applied to neurophysiology data analysis, evidenced by relevant publications in high-impact, international, peer-reviewed journals;
- Experience with neuronal manipulation tools (optogenetics and pharmaco-genetics);
- Experience and solid knowledge of Linux and PC OS´s, as well as programming languages including, but not limited to, Python, Matlab, applied to neurophysiology. C++ is considered an added value.
- Fluency in read, spoken and written English.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In the event the PhD degree was awarded by a foreigner higher institution, the degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law nr 66/2018, 18th August, and all formalities established there must be fulfilled by applications deadline.
The call is open from 5th November until 16th December 2019 (30 working days), and the application documents (indicated below) should be sent, in PDF format, to Human Resources Office through the email email@example.com, indicating the Reference of the position (mandatory):
- Motivation Letter in English;
- Detailed CV;
- PhD Certificate;
- Refference letters, minimum 3.
- Other documents that applicant may consider to be relevant to prove his track record.
Note: The non-compliance with these requirements determines the immediate rejection of application.
False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
iMM promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Pursuant to Decree-Law nr 29/2001 of 3rd February, disabled candidates shall be preferred in a situation of equal classification, and said preference supersedes any legal preferences. Candidates must declare, on their honour, their respective disability degree, type of disability and communication / expression means to be used during selection period on their application form, under the regulations above.
Eligible applications will be evaluated based on the quality, timeliness and relevance of the candidate´s track record (scientific production and research experience) and CV, and its adequacy to the proposed work plan.
First phase: Eligible applications will be ranked qualitatively based on the CV (50%), reference letters (30%), and motivation Letter (10%) – The curriculum vitae will be analyzed qualitatively in what concerns to content and relevance for the tasks to be performed, namely: executed and/or published scientific work, with special emphasis on areas related to the work plan (25%); research experience and relevant knowledge in the area of the proposed work plan as described in the candidate profile (25%). The merit of the candidate (30%) and the motivation and interest for the proposed activities (10%) will be analyzed through the references and motivation letters, respectively.
Second stage: Interview (10%) - The 5 candidates ranked highest in the first phase (with a minimum score of 50%) will be called for an interview. In the event of a tie, the decision will be responsibility of the chairman of the jury.
After evaluation of all admitted applications, the jury will produce a written report of the recruitment process, including an ordered short list of approved candidates and their classification.
The jury´s final decision of the jury shall be validated by the Head of the Institution, who is also in charge of the hiring.
Both admitted and excluded candidates list and final classification list shall be posted at Av. Prof. Egas Moniz, Ed. Egas Moniz, 1649-028 Lisboa, at iMM website at https://imm.medicina.ulisboa.pt/jobs/#results and all candidates will be notified by email.
Preliminary Hearing and Final Decision Deadline:
Pursuant to article 121 of the Administrative Procedure Code, after notified, all candidates have 10 working days to respond. Panel’s final decisions are pronounced within a period of 90 days, from application deadline.