The Faculty of Applied Engineering is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Chemistry for a
Postdoctoral researcher in the area of laser-induced nucleation
Lower employment percentages for an extended duration can be possible.
For a project in cooperation with Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V., the iPRACS research group at the Faculty of Applied Engineering, in cooperation with the ECM research group of the department of Physics in the Faculty of Science, are looking to fill a postdoc position on a 6 month FTE project.
The project concerns Non-Photochemical Laser Induced Nucleation, a proposed technique for nucleation supersaturated solutions reliably with laser light. A literature search will quickly show that this subject is ill-understood, and the project proposes a solution for two of the main issues – how to get reliable and statistically significant data on nucleation, and how to implement the technique in practice.
We are looking for a PhD graduate who loves a challenge and works independently, is meticulous in documenting the procedures and steps taken, and has the skills to build experimental setups. The ideal candidate is well-versed in statistics, has experience with the operation of lasers and has experience with micro- and/or millifluidics. Experience with laser-induced nucleation is a plus.
- You contribute to research in the field of laser-induced nucleation by building a dedicated setup.
- Project management and the co-ordination of collaborations with interested companies is also part of your task.
- Part of your job will be the organization and management of project applications within the field of laser induced nucleation and the search for external funding.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in Physics, Chemistry, or Engineering Sciences
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have strong communication skills.
- You are fluent in academic English (speaking and writing).
- An affinity with engineering and the skills to build a working experimental setup is a plus.
- Knowledge of nucleation mechanisms and working with lasers is an advantage.
- Knowledge of reactor engineering (micro- or millifluidics) serves as recommendation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time contract as a postdoctoral researcher for a period of six months
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the contract research staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- The planned start date is November 1st 2020 at the earliest.
- A dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until October 5th 2020. Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): (1) a motivation letter and your CV,
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Christophe Vande Velde, +32 3 265 18 46, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.