• Contract: 18 month full time contract to be filled on 1 January 2023. Remuneration between 2889.51 and 3321.55€ gross per month.
• Missions: The OVPF-IPGP invites applications for a postdoctoral researcher in the framework of the ERC PRESEISMIC project. The postdoctoral research will focus on the use of machine learning techniques to improve detection and localization of earthquakes during seismic swarms.
Seismicity is currently one of the best tools to monitor transient aseismic processes such as slow slip on active faults or magma migration on volcanoes. However, given the large number of earthquakes to be identified and the increase in the number of available stations, automated approaches are necessary.
• Activities: The successful candidate will test the ability of existing deep neural network picking techniques to detect and locate earthquakes during active swarm episodes observed on volcanoes and on active faults. As a first application case, we intend to analyze preeruptive volcano-tectonic swarms at Piton de la Fournaise volcano to characterize the spatio-temporal properties of magma
migration in the volcanic edifice. Funding is guaranteed for 18 months starting at the end of 2022 or early 2023.
• Location: Observatoire Volcanologique du Piton de la Fournaise – La Réunion
• Applications: The application must be made via the CNRS job portal: https://emploi.cnrs.fr (job reference: UAR3454-SABGAL-003)
Please attach a cover letter, a CV and the names of two references who may be contacted for letters of recommendation.
• Download: job description in PDF