Press statement by President von der Leyen:
Tackling climate change and caring for our environment requires us to rethink the way we live. That is why we have made the European Green Deal our priority
We are taking the steps, one by one, to get there.
Today's strategy for a Renovation Wave will help us cut emissions and cut energy poverty.
It will bring economic, environmental and social benefits. But our European Green Deal is bigger.
It is a systemic change.
To achieve this, we need broad engagement, wide support and lots of innovation and creativity.
This is why we are today launching the New European Bauhaus.
The New European Bauhaus movement is intended to be a bridge between the world of science and technology and the world of art and culture.
It is about a new European Green Deal aesthetic combining good design with sustainability.
The New Bauhaus is about bringing the European Green Deal closer to people's minds and homes. And making tangible the comfort and attractiveness of sustainable living.
Good design can improve lives.
The New European Bauhaus will demonstrate that the necessary can also be beautiful.
The New European Bauhaus will be a think and experiment-space.
It will be:
- a forum for discussion
- an experimentation lab
- an accelerator for new solutions
- a hub for global networks and experts
- a meeting place for citizens interested in the topic.
The European Bauhaus will be rolled out in 3 steps.
- A design phase, to explore ideas and shape the movement.
Here we want to draw on the expertise and engagement of
- digital experts
- and engineers and students
- The delivery-phase starting with 5 New European Bauhaus projects in different EU Member States.
- all of them committed to sustainability, combined with art and culture
- each adapted to local conditions and with specific focus such as:
- natural building materials,
- energy efficiency,
- future-oriented mobility or
- resource-efficient digital innovation
- The third phase will be about spreading the ideas.
The European Bauhaus' vocation is to grow and reach out beyond Europe's borders.
If Europe is to lead the way in the twin green and digital transition
We should engage in cultural debates as well.
The New European Bauhaus is part of our broader vision:
Building the world of tomorrow for a tomorrow that is greener, more beautiful and humane.