The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation grants up to fifty German Chancellor Fellowships to prospective leaders from the United States, Brazil, China, India, and South Africa – irrespective of their field of work. Together with a German host and mentor of their choice, fellows conduct a socially relevant project they have developed independently.
Due to the war in Ukraine, the German Chancellor Fellowship for prospective leaders is not open to applicants from the Russian Federation this year. More information on the Humboldt Foundation’s response to the war and our measures to support at-risk researchers from affected countries is available here.
This fellowship for prospective leaders brings you to Germany for one year to implement a project idea you have developed yourself. They will help you network with international future leaders here to find new answers to the global issues of our time.
The German Chancellor Fellowship sponsors future decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders – regardless of industry. We invite you to apply if you:
- hold American, Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, or South African citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society, or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating this twelve-year period is October 1st, 2023.
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- have good knowledge of English and/or German
- The applicant must be a national of Brazil, People's Republic of China, India, South Africa, or the United States.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent academic degree completed less than twelve years before the beginning of the fellowship
- A mentoring agreement from the host in Germany
- A project plan in which candidates must draw up independently and coordinate with their host (examples of projects)
- Initial proven leadership experience
- A monthly fellowship of €2,000, €2,300, or €2,600, depending on the applicant’s qualifications
- Flexible timing: 12-month fellowship between August 1st, 2023 and March 31st, 2025
- Individual mentoring during the stay in Germany
- Additional financial support such as mobility allowance, subsidies towards insurances, family benefits, and support towards travel expenses
- Intensive preparatory German course and further language support joint program events with an opportunity to meet the German Chancellor, and an invitation to a study tour of Germany
- The chance to actively participate in a vibrant network and cooperate in peer groups
- Extensive alumni sponsorship, particularly to help sustain contact with collaborative partners in Germany during the fellow's entire professional career
Recommended period of sponsorship: October 1st, 2023 to September 30th, 2024.
Deadline: Saturday, October 15th, 2022.