The Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action “Advanced Research and Training Network in Food Quality, Safety and Security” – “FoodTraNet” is designed to provide high-level training of a new generation of high achieving Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) in a common platform of advanced mass spectrometric tools for food quality, safety, and security. Application deadline is June 30th, 2021.
ESR 1 Markers for pasta and rice organic authentication
ESR 2 Authenticity of dairy products
ESR 3 Distinctive multimodal molecular organic and traditional wine characterisation
ESR 4 Development of novel edible photonic barcodes for food tagging and tracing
ESR 5 Characterisation of bioactive compounds in organic beekeeping
ESR 6 Novel strategies for verifying food authenticity and build consumer trust
ESR 7 Alternative waste exploitation: micro and nano-plastic in agricultural wastewater reuse
ESR 8 Synthesis of “smart” polymer nanostructured materials for use in food research
ESR 9 Identification of contaminants of emerging concern in novel foods for human consumption
ESR 10 Alternative waste exploitation: contaminants of emerging concern in agricultural wastewater reuse
ESR 11 New chemical and bio-sensors for food quality and safety
ESR 12 The synthesis of smart biopolymer materials with nanostructured surfaces with antimicrobial, biocompatible, anti-adhesive properties
ESR 13 Functional coatings for active packaging development
ESR 14 Plastics in Seafood
ESR 15 Consumer awareness and perception
All applications, in English, must be done using FoodTraNet application form.
FoodTraNet is looking for a broad international representation of Early Stage Researchers. The network acknowledges its responsibility for recruiting researchers and their working and living conditions, as stated in the document “The European Charter for Researchers - Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers”.
- Mobility: The positions are open to all nationalities. However, your application has to comply with the European Commission’s Mobility Rules, meaning that at the time of recruitment, you must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organisation for more than 12 months in the three years immediately before the reference date (indicative start of the employment contract, Month Date 2020). Compulsory national service and short stays such as holidays are excluded (European Commission’s Guide for Applicants).
- Early Stage Researcher (ESR): If you have already gained prior work experience in academia, you shall be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research career at the time of recruitment by the host organisation and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from when you obtained the degree entitling you to embark on a doctorate, even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. Part-time research experience will be counted pro-rata (European Commission’s Guide for Applicants).
- Excellent Proficiency of the English Language: Network fellows (ESRs) must demonstrate that their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English is sufficiently high for them to benefit from the network training.
- Relevant University Degree: ESR applicants must hold a master’s degree (or equivalent) relevant to the project(s) for which they apply. For further information, please consult the detailed information for each position. Applicants should not have been awarded a PhD degree. Additional requirements can apply for specific positions.
If any of the prerequisites mentioned above are not satisfied, FoodTraNet reserves the right to exclude applicants from the selection process at any time, even after the selection procedure has taken place.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by email to the FoodTraNet email address firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline.
The application consists of downloading and completing the Application Form, the submission of a Curriculum Vitae, a Covering Letter, your Academic Records and Referene letter(s) (if you have them) in a single PDF file.
The application form requires basic contact information (name, surname, email) and ESR eligibility criteria (date of Master’s award, full-time postgraduate research experience in months, country of residence and duration of residence in that country). Applicants are invited to choose up to three PhD Positions in order of preference. Only the complete applications (completed application form, CV, Covering Letter, and Academic Records) will be evaluated. FoodTraNet is committed to Open, transparent, Merit-based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R). Please contact email@example.com if you have any problems submitting your application.
An applicant can apply for a maximum of three specific ESR projects listed in order of preference. The selection committee will check applications against the following criteria:
- Scientific background and potential of the candidate as indicated by his/her experience.
- Fit to a research project.
- Evidence of ability to undertake research.
- Evidence of working within groups or teams.
- Impact and benefit of the proposed training to the candidate’s research career.
Up to five candidates will be short-listed for each position and invited to an interview (interviews by video link will be held if candidates cannot travel).
Successful applicants are admitted to their selected ESR position and PhD programme following the order of the ranking list. The selected applicants must confirm by email their participation in the FoodTraNet ESR position to the project coordinator within 15 days. Applicants who fail to meet this deadline will be replaced by the next ranked applicant.
If there is no suitable applicant, the FoodTraNet network may recruit a qualified applicant for a different PhD position or launch a new call. The selected ESR will be expected to start their research as soon as feasibly possible (start deadline: January 31st, 2022). Application deadline is June 30th, 2021.