FACULTY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS, UNIVERSITY OF RIJEKA hereby issues the call for enrollment into the University Postgraduate Studies (Doctoral Program) in Economics and Business or the academic year 2021/2022, leading towards the academic title doktor znanosti (dr.sc./PhD) in Economics.
The University Postgraduate Studies (Doctoral Program) in Economics
and Business are carried out as full-time or part-time study programs
lasting 3 years and awarding a total of 180 ECTS credits upon program
The doctoral program may be enrolled by:
1. A person who has completed a corresponding university graduate study program in economics or business economics;
2. A person who has completed a corresponding four-year pre-Bologna
university study program in economics or business economics in
accordance with the regulations valid prior to the enforcement of the
Act on Scientific Activity and Higher Education (hereinafter: the Act);
3. A person who has not completed a corresponding study program
defined under items 1 and 2 of this paragraph may enroll the doctoral
program if he/she has completed one of the following study programs in
social sciences in the field of economics:
- Scientific master study program in accordance with the regulations valid prior to the enforcement of the Act;
- Postgraduate vocational study program in economics or business
economics in accordance with the regulations valid prior to the
enforcement of the Act, under the condition that they shall pass the
differential exams in the following courses: Microeconomics and
- Postgraduate specialist study program in economics or business
economics in accordance with the provisions of the Act, under the
condition that they shall pass the differential exams in the following
courses: Microeconomics and Macroeconomics.
The applicant needs to have active knowledge of (business) English.
The ranking of applicants is done in line with Article 6 of the
Regulations on University Postgraduate Studies (Doctoral Program) in
Economics and Business at the Faculty of Economics and Business in
Applicants will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- GPA achieved during previous studies,
- doctoral dissertation topic proposal,
- business English language skills,
- the existence of a potential supervisor who has agreed to mentor the respective candidate,
- awards, current research and scientific achievements,
- references given by the potential supervisor/mentor or university
professors acquainted with the academic achievements of the respective
- interview with the Committee for Postgraduate Studies and Doctorates
(hereinafter. The Committee). The Committee may choose to propose to
the Faculty Council to reject an application even though the applicant
has met other admission requirements if the Committee establishes that
the Faculty cannot ensure a suitable supervisor for the respective field
of scientific interest i.e. scientific field in which the applicant
wants to pursue his/her research in.
Applications shall be submitted via the on-line application form
The following documents shall be submitted together with the application:
· Filled in Application Form
· A certified copy of the Diploma awarded on completion of undergraduate, graduate and/or postgraduate study
· Transcript of grades and calculated GPAs
· Reference(s) given by university professors (obligatory for
applicants with a GPA below 3.5, may also be submitted by other
· Curriculum Vitae
· Motivational letter
· Proposal of the doctoral dissertation topic in English (Official Efri form). The applicant may suggest his/her topic of choice or may choose one in accordance with list of active scientific projects and potential advisor's scientific interest
· Certificate of English language skills (e.g. transcript of records,
TOEFL, ESOL or the like). The Faculty reserves the right to
additionally test the applicant’s knowledge of the business English
language, if the candidate does not possess appropriate certification.
The Faculty also reserves the right to submit the applicant to English
· List of publications, awards for scientific and professional activities (if available)
· The Mentorship consent (Official EFRI form)
signed by the potential supervisor/advisor meeting the eligibility
criteria for mentoring doctoral students at the University of Rijeka and
the Faculty of Economics and Business in Rijeka as defined under
Article 13 of the Regulations
. The respective supervisor or advisor does not have to be a member of
the Faculty’s teaching staff; he/she may be from other scientific
institutions in Croatia or abroad. In the event that the applicant does
not possess such consent, the Faculty shall upon enrollment assist the
candidate in finding a suitable supervisor/co-supervisor/counselor
· Decision on the Recognition of foreign higher education
qualifications (for applicants who have completed their studies abroad;
can be submitted after admission)
· Foreign citizens need to provide certificate of citizenship.
Applications shall be submitted by post (registered mail) to the Faculty's address:
Ekonomski Fakultet Sveučilišta u Rijeci
Ivana Filipovića 4
'Natječaj za upis na Poslijediplomski doktorski studij'
Application deadline: January 28, 2022
The tuition fee amounts to HRK 88,500.00, full amount must be paid upon enrollment.
In the event that the number of applicants meeting enrollment
criteria is rather low, the Faculty reserves the right not to go on with
the Program in 2021/2022.
All additional information on the Doctoral program as well as application forms may be found on the Faculty’s official website or at the Student Registry for Postgraduate Studies.
Student Registry for Postgraduate Studies