The Horizon Europe MSCA-Doctoral Network ETERNITY (“FuEl ThE bRaiN In healtThY aging and age-related diseases”) is a Consortium consisting of laboratories from Universities, Research Institutions and small-medium enterprises. ETERNITY offers a groundbreaking PhD level training in brain metabolism, focusing on metabolic and aged-related disorders.
Given the complementary expertise, ETERNITY will have excellent opportunities to delineate different molecular pathways underlying impaired brain metabolism as well as to identify novel pharmaceutical targets and/or nutritional interventional strategies that may ameliorate ageing and related disorders.
The 10 doctoral candidates (DCs) will have the unique opportunity to be trained by a transnational consortium with multidisciplinary expertise. Apart from the innovative and collaborative approach of the research programme, the DCs will also be exposed to a well-structured training programme in which cutting-edge methodology, innovation and transferable skills are key components.
The following organizations will directly recruit the DCs:
- Università degli Studi di Milano (UMIL), Department of Pharmacological and Biomolecular Sciences, Milan, Italy
- Neurocentre Magendie (INSERM), Bordeaux, France
- Deutsches Zentrum fur Neurodegenerative Erkrankungen e.V. (DZNE), Bonn, Germany
- Universidad de Salamanca (USAL), Institute of Functional Biology and Genomics, Salamanca, Spain
- AvenCell Europe GmbH (AVENCELL), Dresden, Germany
Read more about the Individual Research Projects (DCs) here
Each DC will receive a 36-month grant to cover their participation costs, living, travel and installation allowance, family allowance, as reported in the following table. The reported amount is referred to gross salary (€/month) before tax. Please note that taxation may vary according to country.
* This amount varies because of the application of a correction coefficient to the living allowance of the country in which the researcher will be recruited.
There are strict eligibility requirements for the DC positions enrolled trough the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action-Doctoral Network. Each DC will be employed according to the financial and eligibility rules reported in the EU document accessible to the following link: https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/docs/2021-2027/horizon/wp-call/2021-2022/wp-2-msca-actions_horizon-2021-2022_en.pdf . The key requirements are reported below in the points from 1 to 5.
1. Supported researchers must be doctoral candidates, i.e. not already in possession of a doctoral degree at the date of the recruitment (Researchers who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will not be considered eligible).
2. Researchers must be enrolled in a doctoral programme leading to the award of a doctoral degree in at least one EU Member State or Horizon Europe Associated Country.
3. Recruited researchers can be of any nationality and must comply with the following mobility rule: they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment date.
4. For 'International European Research Organisations' (IERO), 'international organisations', or entities created under Union law, the researchers must not have spent more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment in the same appointing organisation.
5. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays and time spent by the researcher as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention (1951 Refugee Convention and the 1967 Protocol) are not taken into account.
Additional eligibility criteria are required by the ETERNITY consortium:
- Admission to the programme is open to applicants who hold a 2nd Level Master’s Degree (120 ECTS + 180 ECTS in a bachelor’s degree) or a Single Cycle Degree (minimum 300 ECTS), or a comparable university degree (Second Cycle qualification), as required by the partner universities for admission to doctoral studies. Applicants are expected to achieve their degree within June 30th, 2023. They must submit a certified copy of any degree achieved by the deadline of June 30th, 2023.
- Highly motivated and science-driven person holding a master’s degree or equivalent in Life Science or related disciplines. A background in metabolism and/or neuroscience or related areas of biology (e.g., neurobiology, molecular biology, (epi)-genetics) is an added value. We offer exciting and fully funded research projects; committed mentorships; an excellent scientific environment in major centers for translational neuroscience research; access to a well-structured network of hands on-activities as well as doctoral programs at the associated Universities.
- Applicant must hold an English language certificate (at least B2 level).
Please ensure you hold all the eligibility criteria (those set by the EU programme and those set by the ETERNITY consortium) before applying since ineligible candidates cannot be considered.
The Doctoral Candidates will be selected according to the following criteria (in random order):
• Scientific skills and research experience
• Ability to collaborate and communicate
• Career profile and potential for excellence
• Expected impact of the proposed training on their career.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2023, 17:00 Central European Time (5 p.m.)
- Website for additional job details