The Marie Skłodowska-Curie European Training Network - BIOREMIA ("BIOfilm-REsistant Materials for hard tissue Implant Applications") invites applications for 15 early-stage researcher (ESR) / PhD positions, available with a starting date in the period April -August 2020. The duration of the appointment is 36 months, full-time employment contract.
The main objective of BIOREMIA Network is to provide excellent inter-disciplinary and inter-sectoral research training to ESRs in an emerging area of research targeting a spectrum of biofilm-resistant biomaterials and coatings aiming to reduce the infection rates of medical implants for bone-related applications. The network comprises 11 beneficiaries and 6 partner organisations from both the academic and industrial sectors from 12 countries (Germany, Austria, Italy, Sweden, Greece, UK, Spain, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Netherlands and US), www.bioremia.eu.
A list of the 15 PhD positions /ESR projects is presented below. To apply to a specific position/project, click on the title and follow the instructions.
NOTE: Application dates and start dates vary. Please check individual ESR projects for details as well as for specific / local acceptance requirements.
List of available PhD / ESR positions (+ host institutions and supervisors):
- ESR 1: Antibacterial coatings of metallic surfaces: From ab-initio to large scale molecular dynamics simulations
University of Ioannina (Greece), Supervisor: Prof. Christina Lekka
- ESR 2: Low-rigidity beta-type Ti-based alloys with intrinsic antibacterial and anti-biofilm properties
Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research Dresden (Germany), Supervisor: Prof. Mariana Calin
- ESR3: Fabrication and characterisation of dense and porous Fe-Mn-(Ag,Zn) based alloys with enhanced antibacterial performance for biodegradable implants applications
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain), Supervisor: Prof. Jordi Sort
- ESR 4: Fabrication and functionalization of hierarchical micro-/nano-patterned bulk metallic glasses
Montanuniversität Leoben (Austria), Supervisor: Prof. Jürgen Eckert
- ESR 5: Optimisation of biomechanical behavior and deformation mechanisms of antibacterial glassy alloys
University of Cambridge (UK), Supervisor: Prof. Lindsay Greer
University of Cambridge (UK), Supervisor: Prof. Serena Best & Prof. Ruth Cameron
- ESR 7: Design of antimicrobial mechanism of metallic patterned hydrophobic surfaces produced by dealloying and plastic flow deformation of metallicg lasses
Università degli Studi di Torino (Italy), Supervisor: Prof. Paola Rizzi
- ESR 8: Aqueous electrodeposition of hydroxyapatite (HA) and Ag NPs-HA and ZnO-HA composite films with antifouling performance
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain), Supervisor: Dr. Eva Pellicer
- ESR 9: Oxidative stress effects (biochemistry), corrosion and electrochemical response of new metastable Ti alloys with and without bacteria-killing oxide-based coatings
Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research Dresden (Germany), Supervisor: Dr. Annett Gebert
- ESR 10: Sustainable manufacturing of anti-fouling and anti-bacterial bioresorbable PEG-polymer coatings for metal surfaces of implantable medical devices and nanotube-based drug delivery system
Ashland Specialties Ireland Ltd (Ireland), Supervisor: Dr. Udo Greiser
University of Gothenburg (Sweden), Supervisor: Prof. Margarita Trobos
- ESR 12: Interplay between inflammation and regeneration and its modulation by surface and bulk composition of metallic materials
University of Gothenburg (Sweden), Supervisor: Prof. Anders Palmquist
- ESR 13: Bactericidal properties of precious metal-based glassy alloys: an industrial design approach towards a novel class of anti-biofouling materials
PX Services SA (Switzerland), Supervisor: Dr. Andreas Blatter
- ESR 14: Minimally-invasive dental implants with improved microbiological safety from Ti-based bulk metallic glasses
Anthogyr SAS (France), Supervisor: Dr. Nicolas Curtois
Stryker Trauma GmbH (Germany), Supervisor: Dr. Robin Büscher
Deadline: 31 March 2020
For more information about the call and application process click here.