Applications are invited for 14 PhD positions (“Early Stage Researchers”) to be funded by the Marie-Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network “ETERNITY –European Training Network on Electromagnetic Risks in Medical Technology” within the Horizon 2020 Programme of the European Commission.
ETERNITY will create a long-lasting multidisciplinary, academic-industrial network for doctoral training, with leading European industries and academia. Our consortium (based in Belgium, Portugal, Spain and The Netherlands) brings together expertise in 4 areas: ElectroMagnetic Compatibility, Medical Engineering, System engineering and Risk Management.
This project has received funding from the European Union's EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation Horizon 2020.
Each of the 14 ESRs will be trained to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams, with a new mindset tuned towards the inclusion of the three main elements of a risk-based approach into innovative design methods (e.g., concurrent engineering and agile/scrum design methods). For this inclusion to occur, each ESR will develop through their research the missing dedicated tools and techniques, and apply them to a representative set of medical devices under development. This hands-on training is supplemented with several scientific professional courses and an immersive training where the ESRs can fine-tune their skills for the Jobs of tomorrow, while addressing the societal challenges of the ETERNITY program
The successful candidates will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers. The exact (net) salary will be confirmed upon appointment and is dependent on local tax regulations and on the country correction factor (to allow for the difference in cost of living in different EU Member States). The salary includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (if applicable). The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 months (i.e. EC funding, additional funding is possible, depending on the local Supervisor, and in accordance with the regular PhD time in the country of origin). In addition to their individual scientific projects, all fellows will benefit from further continuing education, which includes internships and secondments, a variety of training modules as well as transferable skills for the Jobs of Tomorrow acquired through a unique immersive learning.
Applicants need to fully respect three eligibility criteria (to demonstrated in the Europass CV):
- Early-stage researchers (ESR) are those who are, at the time of recruitment by the host, in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers. This is measured from the date when they obtained the degree which formally entitles them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the research training is provided, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate was envisaged.
- Conditions of international mobility of researchers: Researchers are required to undertake transnational mobility (i.e. move from one country to another) when taking up the appointment. At the time of selection by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to their recruitment. Short stays, such as holidays, are not considered.
- English language: Network fellows (ESRs) must demonstrate that their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English is sufficiently high for them to derive the full benefit from the network training.
We invite you to submit a complete application on our centralized Recruitment page (hyperlink: https://iiw.kuleuven.be/brugge/m-group/research-and-projects/eternity/applyform)
The recruitment procedure is detailed in our recruitment procedure document (hyperlink: https://iiw.kuleuven.be/brugge/m-group/research-and-projects/eternity/documents/recruitmentdocument)
We will need from you:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for your top three positions (max) in the network
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
For more information, click here.