Via the Joint Excellence in Science and Humanities (JESH) programme, the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) promotes the development and intensification of cooperation between outstanding young researchers from abroad and scholars in Austria.
JESH is an OeAW funding programme providing young scholars in all fields of research from the target countries listed below the opportunity to initiate or intensify international contacts and cooperation.
Projects funded within the framework of JESH must reinforce the research landscape in the recipient’s country of origin. Joint research activities are intended to increase chances of securing third-party funding by international funding institutions such as the ERC, to name just one example. Successful JESH projects contribute to the establishment of sustained relations between scholars in Austria and the focus countries and to the further development of international research cooperation in their particular field of research.
Who may apply?
Applications are invited from scholars who completed their doctorate/PhD studies no longer than 10 years ago and are affiliated to a university or non-university research institute in one of the focus countries. If a candidate is successful in his or her application, this affiliation must continue to exist after the receipt of JESH funding. Only one application may be submitted per person.
- Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia, Ukraine
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
- Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Pakistan, Syria, Turkey
- Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia
- Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela
What is funded?
JESH provides travel and accommodation expenses for a research stay of a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 6 months. Other project-related expenses or overheads are not covered.
Accommodation expenses are awarded at a flat rate of EUR 2,700 per month.
The research stay must commence within the period between December 2019 and December 2020.
More information here.
Deadline: 15 April 2019.