CONEX-Plus is a training and incoming mobility program that aims to accelerate the career development of a cohort of international Experienced Researchers (ERs) at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M). CONEX-Plus will offer 30 fellowships to ERs with up to six years of postdoctoral experience by means of two international public calls.
Fellows will undertake a three-year project freely chosen by them within the objectives and subjects outlined in the Research and Innovation Strategy for Smart Specialisation (RIS3) of the Community of Madrid. These areas will be underpinned by an area of strength of UC3M, the strategic research area of Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) and its application to the areas of the RIS3 strategy. The link of the program with the priorities of the RIS3, extended both to Spanish and European priorities, will improve the fellow’s employability and career prospects both in and outside academia.
Projects will be implemented in one of the 27 departments at the UC3M and through a compulsory secondment in a high-level non-academic organization. Each fellow will have 2 supervisors (i.e. one from UC3M and another from the secondment organization) to support their career development and will set up a Career Development Plan (CDP) that will guide the fellows to achieve their scientific and career development objectives. The CONEX-Plus training and career development programme is based on the so-called triple ‘i’ dimension: International aspects, intersectoral exposure and interdisciplinarity. All fellows will benefit through the training programme with dedicated modules on relevant transferable skills and Industry Training Blocks.
For the first call, the CONEX-PLUS programme offers 20 fellowships with a duration of 3 years to Experienced Researchers (0-6 years research experience), with a gross yearly salary of €41,203.62 in addition to other economic benefits, such as family allowance or research expenses.
CONEX-Plus invites applications for 3 types of full-time fellowships:
- Standard CONEX-Plus fellowships: are open to researchers coming to Spain from any other country in the world.
- Career Restart fellowships: are open to researchers coming to Spain, who wish to resume research in Europe after a career break. (e.g. after parental leave, long-term illness, clinical training, national service, working outside research, etc).
- Reintegration CONEX-Plus fellowships: are open to researchers coming to Spain, who wish to return and reintegrate in a research position in Europe.
The purpose of the fellowship is the training and career development of the researcher during the fellowship duration. The fellowship does not involve future recruitment or direct tenure track position at UC3M.
The CONEX-Plus programme offers fellowships in the strategic research areas identified in the Research and Innovation Strategy for Smart Specialisation (RIS3) of the Madrid Autonomous Region:
- Advanced Materials, Manufacturing Technologies and Space
- Energy, Environment and Transport (including Aeronautics)
- Health and Biotechnology
- Information Technologies and Communications. These areas are underpinned by an area of strength of UC3M:
- Social Sciences and Humanities and its application to the areas of the RIS3 strategy indicated above.
Deadline: 30 September 2019.