- DEADLINE: 15 February 2019
The Centre de Recerca Matemàtica is currently seeking for a postdoctoral researcher with strong technical skills to join the project HIPPOPLAST (FLAG-ERA JTC 2017), funded by the European Commission. The contract is expected to start in April 1st, 2019, and will finish at the end of the tasks required in this position for the project, likely September 31st, 2021.
The post-doctoral researcher will be involved in developing computational models in the framework of a Flag-Era project of the Human Brain Project, in collaboration with experimental groups located in Marseille and Budapest. The goal of the theoretical group, located in Barcelona, is to understand the computational benefits for navigational strategies of mixing rigid and plastic neurons into the same hippocampal network. This theoretical project itself is comprised of three separate objectives:
1) The relative contributions of network heterogeneity versus single-cell diversity in generating plastic and rigid assemblies.
2) How diversity affects the fidelity of the place-cell code: an information theoretic study.
3) How diversity shapes replay in hippocampal networks.
Our end goal will be to provide a predictive model that combines all the experimental data sets from our experimental collaborators. While our work will specifically address hippocampal place-cell dynamics, we will also seek to gain insight into possible fundamental computational advantages of heterogeneity in neuronal networks in general.
The selection process is led by the research project team, and will be overseen by the Director and Manager of the CRM. This process consist of:
1) Admission of candidates: applicants must submit a résumé, a cover letter (maximum 500 words) and the questionnaire attached to the offer, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, until February 15th at 2:00 p.m., indicating the reference code of the offer. Applications referred to another portal, other than CRM job openings section and the instructions included in this, will not be accepted.
2) Pre-selection: determination of compliance with the minimum requirements of the offer.
3) Selection: assessment of the preselected candidates by scoring based on objective criteria.
4) Final decision: in case of finding the suitable person, the election will be formally communicated to him/her, and the identification of the chosen person will be published on CRM job openings section.