Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) invites applicants for PhD positions.
Opportunities are available in the following topics:
Application deadline: 6 July 2020.
MDC offers a structured PhD programme in a research-intensive environment, including:
• Excellent scientific, international and supportive environment
• Individual PhD supervision and mentoring
• Advanced scientific, research-related and methods training
• Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
• Regular lectures and seminar series
• Framework program for personal and career development
• Participation in PhD symposia and retreats
• Travel grants for external courses and conferences
Students may join our MDC-NYU PhD Exchange Program in Medical Systems Biology, iNAMES - German-Israeli Helmholtz International Research School for Imaging from NAno to MESo, or become associated with the interdisciplinary HEIBRiDS Data Science School. The working language of the programme is English.
Berlin is one of the most vibrant cities located in the heart of Europe. It offers an incredible load of entertainment, cultural and recreational activities. The MDC is situated at two locations in Berlin: majority of infrastructure is located on Campus Berlin-Buch, a modern science and biotechnology park with a clear focus on biomedicine, while laboratories and offices of the Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (MDC-BIMSB) are located on Campus Berlin-Mitte. Family-friendly campus offers services to support the compatibility of work and family life, such as campus kindergarten or fully equipped Parent-child room. Join our community of 400 international PhD students and enjoy studying and living in Germany!
Who are we looking for?
• You are an enthusiastic student with a strong interest in Life Sciences
• Your degree is in biology, biotechnology, medicine, molecular medicine, chemistry, computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics or a related field
• You hold or expect to obtain a Master degree not later than February 2021
We are committed to meet today’s challenges in biology and medicine and realize that excellent science requires outstanding researchers. If you aspire to be one of them – welcome to the MDC!
Application deadline: 6 July 2020
MDC adheres to principles of responsible research, good scientific practice, openness and transparency, and is committed to setting a good example as a scientific environment where scientists can flourish and grow, independently of their national or ethnic background, functional variation, sex/gender identity/alignment/orientation, family configuration, or other such feature of their persons or contexts.
The required application documents include a research experience and interest letter, university transcripts and certificates, CV, and contact details of two referees. Applications via email can unfortunately not be accepted.
PhD researchers are fully funded through an initial 3-year employment contract with the MDC, according to 65% TVöD 13 (monthly net payment of approximately 1600 EUR). Health and social insurance are included in the contract. In many cases, contracts are extended for an additional year. Salaries are competitive to national standards. The university tuition fees per semester are approximately 350 EUR, and include public transportation ticket.
Start date: Four months from the onsite interview week (latest February 2021)