Application Deadline: 15 December 2019 at 12 noon (Central European Time).
The Student Summer Research Fellowship (ETH SSRF) Program offers undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to gain their first research experience in an area of their choice. The fellowship provided by the Computer Science Department of ETH takes place during two summer months and is open to all students worldwide. The department is committed to increasing diversity in the computer science area.
All applicants fulfilling the following conditions are eligible for the program:
– You can attend the entire fellowship period from July 1st to August 31st. (Note that this time is fixed and cannot be changed)
– You are currently enrolled in a bachelor or master (or combined) program and your expected graduation date is earliest in spring the year after the fellowship.
You are eligible for the Student Summer Research Fellowship program if you satisfy the following:
- You are enrolled in a study program (Bachelor or Master) in computer science or a closely related field (e.g., electrical engineering, mathematics, physics)
- Your expected graduation date in your current study program (Bachelor or Master) is January 2021 or later.
- You have 2 years of study completed by summer 2020 (Master students naturally satisfy this condition).
- The duration of the fellowship is fixed to the full two months of July and August. You can be present during the entire time.
The program is fully conducted in English. Formal evidence is not required. However, the fellowship requires a good working knowledge of English. Your language ability may be assessed during an interview.
Your application will be evaluated on the basis of the documents provided. The last step of the application process may include an interview conducted with the shortlisted candidates.
List of research areas
Research opportunities are available in the following areas:
- Theory and Algorithms
- Networked Systems and Parallel Computing
- Pervasive Computing and Cyberphysical Systems
- Information and System Security
- Data Management and Machine Learning
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Visual Computing
The main part of the Student Summer Research Fellowship program at ETH Zurich is devoted to doing research in one of the available areas.
- Time frame: 1 July – 31 August 2020. Please note that the time and duration of the fellowship is fixed to cover the full two months of July and August.
- Eligibility. Bachelor’s and master’s students worldwide with an expected graduation date earliest during the spring semester the year after the 2-month fellowship.
- Research experience. Fellows will pursue a research project that aligns with a chosen area of their interest as part of a research group in our department. This includes interacting and collaborating with group members.
- Networking and socializing. A number of on-site socializing events will help fellows to get to know people outside their respective research groups, including current ETH students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Stipend. Fellows at ETH Zurich will receive a monthly allowance of about CHF 1.750 to cover housing and living expenses. Travel and visa expenses will be covered as well. Students can claim the travel costs against receipts at the beginning of the program.
- Accommodation. Affordable housing during the research stay will be organized, once a candidate is accepted into the program. We will also provide information regarding visa applications (where required).
- Application ends at 15 December 2019 at 12 noon (Central European Time).