Top opportunities for researchers from developing countries
Please send us your application,
- if you are a researcher with above average qualifications in a developing or transition country. (see list of countries), ASEAN countries eligible except Singapore and Brunei
- if you intend to carry out long-term research of your own choice (6 to 24 months) at a research institution in Germany together with an academic host you have chosen yourself,
- if your research outline includes aspects that are important for the continued development of your country or region of origin and
- if you want to contribute to the exchange of knowledge and methods between Germany and your country of origin.
We offer you
- a monthly fellowship of €2,650 for postdoctoral researchers (doctorate completed within the last four years) or €3,150 for experienced researchers (doctorate completed within the last 12 years),
- a flexible starting date and - for experienced researchers - the option of splitting the fellowship up into a maximum of three stays,
- individual mentoring during the sponsorship period,
- intensive German language course for fellows and their marital partners prior to the fellowship,
- additional financial support for accompanying family members and items like travel expenses and
- comprehensive alumni sponsorship once the research stay has come to an end, such as a Return Fellowship or further stays in Germany.
In recent years, approximately 20% to 25% of applications were successful (see also positive selection decisions within the past 12 months).
In addition, the Humboldt Foundation grants Georg Forster Research Awards every year to leading researchers from developing countries.