RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE09/03/2018 22:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Leuven
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
What you will do
The capability of placing single biomolecules on nanoelectronic devices is of contemporary interest. Moreover, it is crucial for the advancement of lab-on-chip technologies that operate at the single molecule level. The controlled placement of single biomolecules involves the state-of-the-art surface chemistry used to bind the targeted biomolecules on the sensor surface and adequate anti-biofouling treatments. Next to this it also requires novel nanoscale chemical and physical approaches to control the number and location of the deployed biomolecules.
To immobilize single biomolecules on various sensor surfaces you will explore and develop different nanoscale surface patterning methodologies These need to be compatible with the mass-manufacturing processes of CMOS technology. You will deploy surface chemistry to link the molecules of interest to the sensor chip surface. The surface adjacent to the sensor chip is equally important as it should prevent biofouling. Beyond the classical patterning techniques, we aim to create novel nanoscale methods to allow single biomolecule placement. You will help us to fabricate test nanodevices in our state-of-the-art facilities. The single molecule placement techniques will be characterized using single molecule metrology such as fluorescence microscopy and atomic force microscopy. This challenging activity will take place in an international, multidisciplinary team context.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
apply online at https://www.imec-int.com or via the direct apply link: https://www.imec-int.com/nl/work-at-imec/job-opportunities/post-doc-sing...
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Who you are
- You have a PhD degree in chemistry, biochemistry, physics or nano-sciences.
- You show a strong and wide interest in (bio)chemistry and physics.
- We value your extensive knowledge and experience with single molecule fluorescence microscopy or atomic force microscopy. Other technologies that allow for single molecule resolution is considered a plus.
- We are looking for a hands-on, creative and result oriented team player.
- We need your experience in optimizing design of experiments, performing tests in the lab and interpreting results. You know how to construct, modify, calibrate, operate and set-up equipment used for performing your experimental work.
- We appreciate your skill to collect, analyze and report scientific data leading to valid conclusions and keep abreast of cutting-edge methodology in the areas of nanoscale patterning methodologies and characterization techniques.
- You have effective communication skills since you will work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team of imec researchers, PhD students and industrial researchers. Given the international character of imec, excellent knowledge of English is a must.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through the KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).
EURAXESS offer ID: 279190