OFFER DEADLINE04/02/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMENot funded by an EU programme
ORGANISATION/COMPANYMaimonides Biomedical Research Institute of Cordoba - IMIBIC
LABORATORYClinical virology and zoonosis Group
IMIBIC HOSTING OFFER:
La Caixa INPhINIT INCOMING Doctoral Fellowship Programme Call 2021
Dr. Antonio Rivero Román (email@example.com)
RESEARCH PROJECT/RESEARCH GROUP
Research Project / Research Group Description
The Clinical virology and zoonosis Research Group of the IMIBIC is under the leadership of Antonio Rivero Román. Our research group studies infection diseases using two main approaches: i) Study of new or emergence zoonotic viral disease: these studies are focusing on the discovery of new viral agents in different species of mammals (rodentia, chiroptera, ungulates…) from Europe, South America and Africa with zoonotic potential. ii) Clinical and epidemiological studies (including clinical trials). Our objective in these studies is to identify and differentiate risk factors, clinical features and the efficacy/safety of new treatments in order to improve the prognosis of infectious diseases. Iii) pathogenesis studies for use in developing specific clinical strategies. The most relevant are our studies on immunopathology. All our studies start by identifying a clinical problem, which we try to solve using an experimental approach. Hence, our aim is for our scientific findings to have an impact on healthcare solutions and to improve disease prognosis (translational research) promoting the One Health approach.
The present research project will focus on line 1 (Study of new or emergence zoonotic viral disease), specifically in the discovery of new and emergence viral agents from swine (including pigs and wild boar). The researcher will be involved in the characterization of viral agents by Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) in different tissue (lung, liver and intestine) collected from these species. Once the new viruses have been characterized, the applicant will evaluate the zoonotic potential by cell culture and will develop a specific qPCR-based assay that will lead to conducting wide surveillance in large human and animal populations from the same setting where the viruses were detected.
Job position description
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented predoctoral investigator to join a multidisciplinary research team working on infectious diseases investigating clinical virology and emerging zoonosis. The applicant will develop mentored research in one of the priority research lines of the group. During the PhD period, the researcher will acquire knowledge on the infectious diseases field, developing lab and scientific skills needed to face an early scientific career. Specifically, the applicant will be instructed in skills and basics of molecular biology (PCR, qPCR, ddPCR, and sequencing), analysis and interpretation of Next generation sequencing (NGS) results, DNA/ARN extraction from different animal tissues, development of ELISA, in vivo and in vitro models, among others. Furthermore, the researcher will be formed in the design of epidemiological and clinical studies, acquiring the bioinformatics skills needed for their analysis and critical review. We offer an inspiring research environment, including state-of-the-art research facilities, enthusiastic scientists of different disciplines (medical doctors, veterinary science, clinical pharmacologist, and biologist), and an exciting interdisciplinary project of considerable fundamental and applied relevance to the population. We are committed to excellent science and to fostering the careers of promising young scientists.
How to Search for this offer:
You can find this offer via the Offer Finder, available at https://finder.lacaixafellowships.org/finder
Select “IMIBIC – Maimonides Biomedical Research Institute to Cordoba” from the dropdown list under “HOST ORGANIZATION”
You can also search the position by its title "THE DISCOVERY OF NEW VIRAL AGENTS WITH ZOONOSIS POTENTIAL" under "Search by project title / Job position / Positions description”.
1) At the call deadline (4th Feb 2021), applicants must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
2) At the time of recruitment, candidates must comply with one of the following options:
- To have completed the studies that lead to an official university degree adapted to the European Higher Education Area awarding 300 ECTS credits, of which at least 60 ECTS credits must correspond to master level.
- To have completed a degree in university not adapted to the European Higher Education Area that gives access to doctoral studies. The verification of an equivalent level of studies to the ones mentioned above will be made by the university when the admission procedure starts.
3) Candidates must not have resided or have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline (4th Feb 2021). Short stays, such as holidays, done in a country other than their country of usual residence (where they carried out their main activity), will be considered as time spent in their country of usual residence.
4) Candidates must have a demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher).
5) Only candidates whose applications meet all the requirements of the call may be accepted.
How to Apply:
If you want to apply for an INPhINIT fellowship, click on the link below to create your personal account and fill in the on-line application form: https://candidate.lacaixafellowships.org/login
4 February 2021: Application deadline.
18 February 2021: Deadline for submitting the language certificate.
22 April 2021: Notification of the shortlist results.
25, 26 and 27 May 2021: Face-to-face interviews in Barcelona.
7 June 2021: Publication of the final list of selected candidates.
7 – 30 June 2021: Matching between the research centres – fellows.
Call for application:
Email (for questions concerning the host organisation IMIBIC):
The responsibility for the hosting offers published on this website, including the hosting description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.