- Research Field
- Formal sciences
A tender is hereby opened for the award of 1Research Grant (RG)in the scope of the thematic line BioMathematics of the Center for Research and Development in Mathematics and Applications (CIDMA), ref. UIDP/04106/2020,under the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Mathematics; Systems and Control
2. Funding Source: Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P./MCTES, through national funds (PIDDAC)
3. Admission Requirements:
Masters in Mathematics and Applications (enrolled in courses that do not confer academic degree integrated in the educational project of the University of Aveiro). Preference will be given to candidates with motivation for research in the area of Mathematical Modeling and Dynamical Systems in discrete and continuous time. The following skills will be valued: knowledge in numerical simulation in Python, initiative, critical thinking, autonomy, creativity and ability to work in a team.
The proof of enrolment must be made available until the contract is awarded, and the candidate may attach a declaration of honor to confirm that they meet the requirements for enrolment in an integrated master's degree, master's or doctoral program (or in a course that does not confer an academic degree).
If the qualification has been conferred by a foreign higher education institution it must be recognized by a Portuguese higher education institution, under the terms of the provisions of article 25 of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August 16th, which approves the legal regime of recognition of academic degrees and diplomas of Higher Education, attributed by foreign higher education institutions, and of paragraph e) of no. 2 of article 4 of Decree-Law no. 60/2018, of August 3rd, and any formalities established therein must be fulfilled by the date of the hiring act.
4. Eligibility: Applicants are eligible if they comply with paragraph a) of no.1 of article 2, of the Research Fellow Statute as amended by Decree-Law no. 123/2019, of August 28th, as well as nos. 1 (and 2) of article 6 and article 9 of the Research Grant Regulations of the Foundation for Science and Technology. (The RG(s) awarded to undergraduate or master students enrolled in courses that do not confer academic degree may only be granted to those who do not exceed, upon conclusion of the grant contract in question, including possible renewals, an accumulated period of two years in that type of grant, consecutive or interpolated, under the terms of no.5 of article 6 of the aforementioned Regulations.)
5. Work plan: Dynamical Systems are a powerful tool for studying population dynamics. The goal of this grant is to contribute to scientific advancement in mathematical modeling. Time is crucial in dynamical systems and, among the usual options, time is considered as continuous or discrete. In this grant we intend to investigate the general theory of time scales, building new time-scale models that are dynamically consistent and coherent with the reality being modeled. As objectives, it is intended to write a paper to be submitted to an international journal and a public presentation of the work developed.
6. Applicable legislation and regulations: Statute of Scientific Research Grant Holder, as amended by Decree-Law no. 123/2019, of August 28th; Regulation no. 950/2019, of November 29th, published in Diário da República, no. 241, Series II, of December 16th (FCT, I.P. Research Grants Regulation); Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August 16th (Legal regime for recognition of academic degrees and diplomas of higher education awarded by foreign higher education institutions).
7. Workplace: The work will be carried out at the Center for Research and Development in Mathematics and Applications of the University of Aveiro, under the scientific supervision of Professor Delfim Fernando Marado Torres.
8. Duration of the grant(s): The grant duration will be 5 months, starting in March of 2023, and may be renewed for equal periods, up to the maximum limit of approved funding. Under no circumstances shall it exceed the limits defined in nos. 3 and 4 of article 6, of Regulation no. 950/2019, of November 29th, published in Diário da República, no. 241, Series II, of December 16th (Research Grants Regulation of FCT, I.P.).
9. Amount of monthly maintenance allowance: The amount of the grant corresponds to €1.144,64, according to the table of monthly maintenance allowance amounts set out in Annex I of Regulation no. 950/2019, subject to any updates that may be applicable, under the terms of no. 2 of article 18 of Regulation no. 950/2019, of November 29th, published in Diário da República, no. 241, Series II, of December 16th (Research Grants Regulation of FCT, I.P.). The fellow may also be reimbursed for the amount corresponding to the Voluntary Social Security, in case of adherence to this plan.
10. Selection methods: The selection methods to be used will be the following: Curriculum vitae (50%) and interview (50%) with a value of 0 to 20. The interview will take place on a date to be set by the jury and may be in person or electronically, and candidates will be contacted for this purpose. The Selection Board reserves the right not to admit any candidate from among those who apply, in case the desired requirements are not met (total final classification higher than 10 points).
11. Composition of the Selection Jury: Chair of the Selection Jury: Delfim Torres (DMat and CIDMA); 1st permanent member: Cristiana Silva (ISCTE and CIDMA); 2nd permanent member: Natália Martins (DMat and CIDMA); 1st alternate member: Helena Sofia Rodrigues (IPVC and CIDMA); 2nd alternate member: Vera Afreixo (DMat and CIDMA).
12. Deadline for applications and how to submit applications: The call is open from 23 january to 3 February, and only applications submitted within the deadline will be admitted.
Applications must be formalized by sending a letter of application accompanied by the following documents: Curriculum Vitae, certificate of qualifications, declaration of honor and other supporting documents deemed relevant. They shall also indicate the e-mail address to which by such indication they accept to be notified for all purposes within this procedure.
Applications should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com with the subject BI-CIDMA-BIOMATH-6-2023.
13. Form of publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will be published through an ordered list by final mark obtained posted on the University's website, within 90 working days after the final date of submission of the application, and the successful candidate will be notified by email. For the purposes of prior hearing of interested parties, the deadline of 10 working days is set, as provided for in the Code of Administrative Procedure. At the end of the period for hearing the interested parties, and in the absence of any response from them, the list of candidates will become final. Candidates may lodge a complaint against the final decision within 15 working days, or appeal to the maximum executive body of the funding entity within 30 working days after notification of the final decision, in accordance with the provisions of article 12 of the Research Grants Regulation of the Foundation for Science and Technology.
14. Tender duration: The final ranking list of candidates will be valid until May 1, 2023, for the purpose of constituting a reserve list for selection.
The models of the grant contract and of the final report to be prepared by the grant holder and the supervisor are available at Research fellows - sgrh - Universidade de Aveiro (ua.pt).
More information available at https://cidma.ua.pt/calls
- Organisation name
- Organisation Country
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.