- Universidade de Coimbra
- Divisão de Projetos e Atividades (Bolsas)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
- First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- H2020 / ERC
- Reference Number
- Grant Agreement 948609
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
CALL FOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
University of Coimbra opens a call for one research fellowship, in the framework of the project “EOLinPLACE - Choice of where we die: a classification reform to discern diversity in individual end of life pathways” (Grant Agreement number: 948609), financed by the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme – Starting Grants, in the following conditions:
Scientific area: Medicine.
Skills/Qualifications/Admission requirements: Candidates with an integrated masters course in Medicine that are attending a course, not leading to an academic degree, which is relevant to the project (for example biostatistics, epidemiology).
We are seeking a well-organised person, with acquired skills in quantitative research, interest and understanding of issues in palliative and end of life care research.
It is necessary to have proficient skills in English and Portuguese, in Microsoft Office, willingness to travel abroad, knowledge of research ethics, capacity of fast learning of relevant software (eg. SPSS/Stata, Endnote).
It is desirable to have knowledge in health sciences, a clinic internship in palliative care and direct contact with people with advanced diseases and family carers in Portugal, as well as statistical analysis of quantitative datasets..
“Courses not conferring an academic degree” must be related to the research fellowship’s activity type. “Courses not conferring an academic degree” are the courses referred to in paragraph e) of number 3 of article 4 of Decree-Law no. 74/2006, of 24 March, in the current wording, provided that they are developed in association or cooperation between the higher education institution and one or more R&D units, in accordance with the provisions of paragraph e) of article 3 of the Regulation for Research Fellowships of the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P.
Although the recipients must be enrolled in a course not conferring an academic degree, at the time of application it is not necessary for the candidate to have made such an enrollment, and proof of enrollment must be presented until thefellowship is contractualized. Candidates are only required to meet the requirements to enroll in the training offer. If there are candidates already enrolled (including attending a course), they compete on an equal footing with those who are not enrolled.
Work plan/ Objectives:
The successful candidate will conduct R&D activities, supporting the scientific research and the implementation of the work plan of the EOLinPLACE project, aimed to create a solid base for the first international classification tool that maps preferred and actual places where people die (home, hospital, among others) in a way that is meaningful to individuals. www.eolinplace.com
Duties of the successful candidate will include:
1. Provide academic input and work in specified parts of the project, including protocol and methods development, data collection, analysis and reporting, with a focus on quantitative components of the project.
2. Collect research data in Portugal (qualitative and quantitative), which include closely following patients (adults and children) in the last phase of their life, and their carers, to be able to chart how and where care is provided. The data also includes interviews and focus groups with key stakeholders, such as health care professionals, researchers, policy-makers, among others.
3. Contribute to data integration and writing of reports.
4. Publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals and aid dissemination.
5. Organise, attend and contribute to project meetings.
6. Collaborate with and support other team members and project partners.
7. Support in tasks associated with the research activities of the project (such as contact with different interlocutors).
8. Maintain strict confidentiality of any patient / family / staff / other stakeholders information and work under the terms of the General Data Protection Regulation and in line with the protocols of the project.
9. Any other duties consistent with the grade of the post. This may include undertaking ad hoc reports and representing the project.
10. Conduct all tasks in agreement with Dr. Barbara Gomes (PI of project).
Regime: The attribution of the fellowship does not generate or entitle a relation of a legal-labour nature, and the fellowship is undertaken in an exclusive dedication regime. The fellowship holder is awarded the Fellowship Statute of the UC, in its current wording, according to the Research Fellowship Holder Statute , and according to the Regulation for Research Fellowships of the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P., both in their current wording.
Location: Faculty of Medicine at the University of Coimbra.
Duration: 12 months.
Renewal: Potencially renewable.
Scientific orientation: Bárbara Oliveira Gomes da Silva.
Financial conditions: The amount of the fellowship is € 1.144,64 corresponding to the monthly compensation stipulated in the FCT table (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores.phtml.en), plus social security (Seguro Social Voluntário, first level contributions) and personal accidents insurance. The payment will be made by bank transfer. This amount will not be increased during the entire period of the fellowship duration.
Selection methods: Curriculum vitae and Interview.
Selection criteria: CV (60%) and Interview (40%)
In the CV evaluation we will consider:
- Quality of CV including integrated master's degree in medicine, language and computer skills, willingness to travel abroad, quantitative research skills, acquired skills in health sciences with particular attention to statistical analysis of quantitative databases (75%);
- Interest/knowledge in palliative and end-of-life care including clinical internship in palliative care and direct contact with people with advanced disease and family carers in Portugal (25%).
In the interview we will consider:
- Research skills, with a focus on quantitative methodologies, ethical, language, communication and teamwork skills and any questions arising from the CV evaluation (50%);
- Interest/knowledge in palliative and end-of-life care (50%).
Jury responsible for selection: Bárbara Oliveira Gomes da Silva, Andrea Bruno de Sousa and Sílvia Lopes .
Formalization of application: The application should include the applicant's CV (in English), qualifications certificate, a cover letter (in English) and two reference letters (preferably in English)..
Declaration on the honor of the candidate(s) with the indication of the fellowship(s) of the typology to which the contest was held and the respective duration(s).
Applicants with academic degrees obtained abroad will be required to present a Certificate of Recognition in accordance with applicable law. This document is mandatory only in the contractualization phase.
Applications submission: Applications must be submitted in https://apply.uc.pt/IT137-22-237.
Submission of applications: Between 22/11/2022 and 14/12/2022.
Submission deadline date: 14/12/2022.
Additional information: The evaluation results will be announced within 90 working days after the end of the applications submission deadline, by notifying the applicants via email. After the announcement of the results, candidates are considered automatically notified to, if they wish to do so, comment on the results on a preliminary hearing period within 10 days after that date. After this, the selected candidates will have to declare in writing their acceptance. Unless a justification worthy of consideration is presented, if the declaration is not submitted within the referred period, it is considered that the candidate waivers the fellowship. In case of resignation or withdrawal of the selected candidate, the next candidate with the highest evaluation score will be notified immediately.
Once the selection process is completed, the fellowship contract will be drawn up in accordance with the draft contract provided by the FCT.
After the contracted period, the fellowship holder and supervisor must prepare the final report in accordance with the respective assessment criteria that were established.
Pursuant to subparagraph h) of Article 9 of the Portuguese Constitution, the University of Coimbra, as employer, actively promotes a policy of equal opportunities between men and women in access to employment and professional development, and acts to prevent each and every kind of discrimination.
Therefore, no one can be privileged, benefited, harmed or deprived of any right or immune from any duty on account of, in particular, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, family, economic situation, education, origin or social condition, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic or racial origin, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and trade union membership.
Selection reserve list: A selection reserve list will be created for a period of 6 (six) months
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universidade de Coimbra
- Rua Larga
Where to apply
- Rua Larga