ORGANISATION/COMPANYJ. Heyrovský Institute of Physical Chemistry of the CAS, v. v. i.
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Physical chemistryPhysics › Biophysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/10/2022 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONCzech Republic › Prague 8
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2022
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions COFUND
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860592
The position is part of the Innovative Training Network (ITN) "PROTON". The network is devoted to the investigation of proton transport and proton-coupled transport. It is funded under Marie Sklodowska-Curie actions (H2020-MSCA-ITN-2019, grant agreement number: 860592). The successful applicant will focus on the natural voltage-gated proton channel Hv1 and investigate the protons pathway in the channel using time dependent fluorescence shift measurements and FRET.
The Ph.D. student will have two secondments:
• Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria (2 months): electrophysiological measurements of proton conductivity using planar lipid bilayer.
• INTANA, Germany (2 months): FCCS of Hv1 and antennae inhibiting elements
The applicant will be funded from the EU project for the 1st 19 months, but not later as till the project termination in July 2024. Monthly salary will be approximately €1800 after taxes and social security, including a monthly mobility allowance and - if applicable - a family allowance which will be paid in addition. After that, a successful Ph.D. student will be prolonged for additional 17 months and will be funded from a different project based on the Czech funding practice.
- 25 days paid leave of absence (holidays) per year
- Lunch vouchers
- 3 days of paid sick-leave in addition to the statutory insurance
- Subsidy for sport and cultural activities
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- Applicants must, at the date of recruitment by PROTON, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate) of their research careers
- They should not have a doctoral degree.
- Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the recruiting institution's country for more than 12 months in the three years immediately before the recruitment date, excluding short stays such as holidays or compulsory national service.
- We look for students with exceptional academic performance holding or very close to completing their Master degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biophysics, Biochemistry or closely related subjects,
- Knowledge of the English language is essential.
Advanced methods of fluorescence spectroscopy and microscopy. Basic preparation skills of the model bilayer systems and protein labelling. Biochemical labelling, chromatography, fluorescence spectroscopy, time resolved anisotropy and circular dichroism spectroscopy, single molecule microscopy
1. Knowledge of fluorescence spectroscopy and microscopy techniques (e.g. confocal microscopy, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, TCSPC)
2. Experience in handling fluorescent molecules, etc.
3. Publications in international journals/attendance of international conferences in the following fields: biophysics, fluorescence spectroscopy.
4. Protein purification and membrane reconstitution
5. Ability to use programming languages for data acquisition
6. Soft skills: presentation skill, team working ability
For all the above, knowledge is proven by publications, certificates, master thesis or equivalent documentation. Skills should be acknowledged in reference letters and demonstrated during the interview (presentation skills). During the interview each applicants presents his/her master thesis and a scientific paper from an area unrelated to his/her specialization (chosen by the interviewers, approximately 5 minutes).
Women are encouraged to apply. The recruitment committee gives preference to female candidates if they are equally qualified as male candidates.
- Motivation letter
- Reference letters
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of Bachelor and Master certificates
- Publications (if available)
EURAXESS offer ID: 838954
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.