ORGANISATION/COMPANYLuxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST)
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science › Ecology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/09/2022 08:52 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Esch-Sur-Alzette
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher?
Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
To this end, the mission of the ERIN department is:
(1) To conduct impact-driven scientific research and development, as well as technological innovation
(2) To support companies in the implementation of new environmental regulations and advise governments on determining sustainable policies for the future, with the objectives of:
- Analysing, managing and exploiting sustainable resources (water, air, soil, renewable energy, bioresources)
- Reducing the environmental impact of human consumption and production activities.
You will join ERIN's Environmental and Industrial Biotechnologies (BIOTECH) unit. This RDI unit has developed expertise in (i) proofing new concepts using metabolic engineering and integrative biology approaches for the production of biomolecules of industrial interest produced by plants or microorganisms, ii) developing tools for microbiological hazard assessment and decontamination of emerging microbial pathogens, especially viruses, iii) developing bio-process engineering solutions to convert organic resources into energy and molecules for industry. The BIOTECH unit carries out impact-driven research geared to the development of bio-based products and processes of industrial interest, new biorefinery concepts for more efficient and sustainable processes, and new technologies for the detection and treatment of environmental pollution.
You will more specifically join the Environmental Microbiology research group. The team’s main RDI activities relate to microbial risk assessment and management in the environment. To strengthen its activities in environmental microbiology and biotechnological applications using microbes, LIST is offering a principal investigator position for a microbiologist with expertise in the development of antimicrobial (antibacterial and antiviral) solutions for the environment and with experience in public-private partnership projects.
How will you contribute?
You will be in charge of developing and leading projects aiming the development of technologies allowing prevention, reduction or elimination of environmental contamination by pathogenic microbes, innovative green antimicrobial compounds or decontamination technologies aiming a microbiologically safe environment for Humans and animals in a One-Health perspectives. The range of technological solutions to be developed by the candidates goes from biobased compounds (e.g. bacteriocins) to probiotics or phages.
In one hand, you will contribute to the development and validation of antimicrobial solutions using probiotics or phages in collaborative projects involving private partners. On the other hand, using competitive national or European funding, you will deepen the understanding of the mode of actions of the antimicrobial compounds intended for environmental applications.
You will be in charge of:
- Design and perform laboratory experiments to understand the mode of action of antimicrobial agents (biobased compounds such as probiotics or phages, natural biocides, …) to successfully replace classical antimicrobials (heavy metals, antibiotics).
- Contributing to the development of support to national or international companies which develop or implement technological solutions (proof-of-concepts, prototypes) in high TRL projects aiming pre-industrialisation
- Attracting budgets from national and European funding agencies, to carry out low TRL research aiming the understanding of molecular mechanisms leading to contamination and decontamination.
- Developing research partnerships and networks at national and international level, making LIST visible in the “antimicrobials” field
- Disseminating and publishing the results in top ranked scientific journals
- Supervising the work of engineers and researchers working on collaborative projects with private partners.
- Staying connected with regulatory bodies and monitor and predict new emerging pathogens.
- Participating in the drafting of technical reports, scientific articles, patents and inventions.
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
EURAXESS offer ID: 830442
Posting organisation offer ID: 40421924
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.