RESEARCH FIELDGeosciences › Geology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/09/2022 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Orléans cedex 2
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2022
Joining the French Geological Survey (BRGM) means becoming part of France’s leading public institution for Earth Science applications bringing together 1,000 wholeheartedly committed experts across 29 bases in Mainland and Overseas France.
BRGM focuses on enhancing geological knowledge and understanding of surface and sub-surface-related phenomena, with a view to: meeting the challenges of environmental changes through innovative projects with societal implications.
The BRGM restructured in late 2021 and created a new department for data science applied to the geosciences.
Its objective is threefold:
(1) to conduct research in data management including data processing and delivery modes, (2) to design and implement platforms for researchers, and
(3) to set up digital services (databases, websites, 3D modelling and visualization tools, etc.).
The successful candidate will join the new Data Processing team (TIA), in charge of developing digital processes using Artificial Intelligence approaches. He/She will also interact with DNG’s DATA team, responsible for managing and structuring the scientific data in order to ensure consistency throughout the data life cycle.
• Proposition and consolidation of an in-house knowledge model, linked to national and international data models developed thanks to world-wide standardization efforts, which the BRGM has already been contributing to (OGC, WMO);
• Organization and animation of workshops with BRGM partners to assist with the knowledge formalization process for each discipline. Also, participation in work groups discussing terminology and cataloging issues in connection with various BRGM consortium projects (IR DataTerra, EPOS, ENVRI FAIR)
• Development of appropriate processes allowing optimal semantic interoperability between BRGM repositories and external information systems, which they are interacting with (IR DataTerra, EPOS, ENVRI FAIR);
• Monitoring of European and international distributed systems and communities (EPOS, OGC, ENVRI-FAIR, Research Data Alliance) in order to suggest improvements and make the in-house work compliant with international recommendations
• Promotion of technology advances via scientific publications, as well as presentation of the research work at international congresses.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESFRENCH: Excellent
Education : PhD degree
Requested start date : as soon as possible
Required Qualifications :
• PhD degree in digital geosciences or data science with a specialization in ontology and web semantics (knowledge engineering) applied to environmental sciences;
• at least 3 years of experience in structuring knowledge (concepts and languages of the semantic web, alignment of ontologies), as well as building data webs (concept of linked data);
• Current and sustained research publication record in peer-reviewed accredited journals.
The candidate ideally has a good knowledge of interoperability standards and an interest in the activities of the international consortia developing them (W3C, OGC, etc.).
He/She will be able to refer to and adequately apply them in R&D projects, in which he will be involved.
The candidate has experience in supervising students at at least MSc level, and has successfully implemented/worked with geographic information systems.
English will be your regular working language, including within the BRGM.
• Proficiency in structuring knowledge (concepts and languages of the semantic web, construction and alignment of ontologies) and building a web of data (concepts of linked data),
• Good knowledge of interoperability standards and web data (W3C recommendations for knowledge representation),
• Semantic Web technologies and languages: SPARQL, SKOS, RDF, RDFS, OWL,
• Ability to work independently; autonomy is necessary to participate in multidisciplinary international groups,
• Good communication and interpersonal skills,
• Fluency in English (written and spoken); oral skills must be sufficient to do international teamwork and to promote the work carried out in-house at an international level.
EURAXESS offer ID: 829755
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.