RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/09/2022 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPortugal › Portugal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
A CALL IS NOW OPEN FOR THE INTERNATIONAL SELECTION OF 1 (ONE) Ph.D. HOLDER EQUIVALENT TO JUNIOR RESEARCHER (CALL REFERENCE: DivRestore/010/CT/2022) FOR THE PURSUIT OF RESEARCH ACTIVITIES IN BIOLOGY, UNDER THE PROJECT “Conservation and restoration of degraded insular biodiversity: impacts of the removal of introduced mammals on the dynamics of infectious diseases in seabirds across islands of the Southern Ocean”, UNDER DECREE-LAW No. 57/2016, OF AUGUST 29th, AMENDED BY LAW No. 57/2017, OF JULY 19th
1. The Board of Directors of ISPA CRL, have opened an international call to appoint a Post Doc, Junior Researcher level, to conduct research-related activities in the scientific area of Biology, for the project “Conservation and restoration of degraded insular biodiversity: impacts of the removal of introduced mammals on the dynamics of infectious diseases in seabirds across islands of the Southern Ocean” (reference DivRestore/0012/2020), funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia – FCT, I.P./MCTES) through national funds. The duration of the employment contract will be unfixed term under the Labor Code.
The tender is aimed exclusively at filling the abovementioned position and can be cancelled up to the homologation of the list of the final ordering of the applicants and expires upon the filling of the vacancy under offer.
2. Applicable Legislation
The tender is governed by the provisions of the Decree-Law No. 57/2016, August 29th, amended by Law No. 57/2017, July 19th, that approves a regime for hiring Ph.D. holders to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC); by Regulatory Decree No. 11-A/2017, December 29th, that regulates the pay levels of contracts; and by the Labor Code, approved by Law No. 7/2009, February 12th.
The tender is open according to paragraph b) No. 1, No. 3 of article 6, and article 20 of Decree-Law No. 57/2016, and in the framework of the Terms of Acceptance, formalized between FCT, ISPA, CRL, and the Principal Investigator.
4. Work Place
The place of work is at the MARE - Marine and Environmental Sciences Centre, based in ISPA – Instituto Universitário, at Rua Jardim do Tabaco, 34, 1149-041 Lisboa, Portugal and will include fieldwork in the Falkland Islands/Islas Malvinas and, possibly, travelling to France for laboratorial work.
The gross monthly remuneration to be paid is 2.153,94 euros according to the Decree-Law No. 11-A/2017, of December 29, that regulates the pay levels of contracts, and according to level 33 of the Single Remuneration Table approved by Ordinance n.º 1553-C/2008, December 31.
The contract is expected to start in December 2022 and will have an expected duration of 13 months.
6. Job Description
The project in which this position is to be filled aims to study the incidence of parasites and diseases in seabirds in the Falkland Islands (particularly albatrosses Thalassarche melanophris) and to assess the potential role that skuas Stercorarius antarcticus play in the spread of disease. The position in question will involve one or two field missions to the Falkland/Malvinas Islands for work with seabirds, including data collection linked to a demographic study of albatrosses, the placement and collection of mini-GPS on birds, as well as collecting biological samples (blood, feathers, etc) and performing necropsies on birds killed by disease. The candidate must also analyse ecological and/or epidemiological data and write at least one scientific paper on these topics.
The candidate should be a biologist or veterinarian with a high level of experience (at least 3 years and hundreds of procedures performed) of working autonomously handling, ringing and collecting biological samples from wild birds (particularly seabirds) as well as the placement and recovery of devices for tracking seabirds. The candidate should also have proven capacity to analyse ecological or epidemiological data and to write scientific papers for international scientific journals.
7. Requirements for admission to the tender
7.1 National, foreign and stateless candidates who hold a doctoral degree in Biology or Veterinary Sciences, and holders of a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals an appropriate profile for the position and research to be conducted (Point 6) may apply.
If the doctorate degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law No. 66/2018, of August 16, and candidates must prove the respective recognition or equivalence of the degree.
7.2 General requirements: Doctoral degree in Biology or Veterinary Sciences.
7.3 As specific requirements, the candidate must have 1) extensive experience in handling medium to large wild birds, as well as in conducting procedures in these animals; 2) advanced knowledge in seabird ecology; 3) scientific publications compatible with the date of Ph.D. conclusion. The candidate is expected to be proficient in English.
8. Formal application
8.1 Applications should be formalized through a written request to the Board of Directors of ISPA, CRL, stating the identification of this notice (call reference: DivRestore/010/CT/2022), full name, filiation, citizenship/civil identification number, expiry date of ID card, tax identification number, date and place of birth, marital status, profession, residence, and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
8.2 Applications should include supportive documents (in PDF format) and proof of the conditions specified above to be admitted to this call (Point 7):
a) Copy of Ph.D. certificate and/or diploma, with indication of completion date.
If the doctorate degree was awarded by a foreign higher education institution, a proof of its recognition or equivalence by a Portuguese higher education institution must be presented, under the terms of the provisions of Decree-Law No. 66/2018, of August 16. If the candidate has already requested but is waiting on the recognition or equivalence of the degree, he/she can alternatively submit proof that the recognition or equivalence was requested. In this case, the application will be conditionally admitted and all formalities established therein must be fulfilled by the starting date of the contract.
b) Detailed curriculum vitae;
c) Motivation letter (max 1 page), detailing why the candidate is suitable for the position.
8.3 Applications and documentation should be submitted digitally (in PDF format) from September 1 to September 15 2022, 11h00PM (Lisbon time) to the e-mail address email@example.com, cc to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email should indicate the reference of this call (DivRestore/010/CT/2022). Applications can be submitted in Portuguese or in English.
9. All candidates who formalize their application incorrectly or fail to provide the requirements imposed by this tender may be excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the panel is entitled to request further documentation to support the candidates’ statements.
10. False statements by candidates shall be punished by law.
11. Selection Criteria
11.1 The selection is to be made based on the candidate’s scientific and curricular evaluation, as defined by Decree-Law No. 57/2016, of August 29th, amended by Law No. 57/2017, of July 19th.
11.2 The evaluation of the candidate’s scientific and curricular achievements will focus on the relevance, quality, and timeliness of the scientific contributions of the candidate taking into account:
a) The scientific and technological outputs over the last 5 years, the candidate regards as being most impactful;
b) Applied or practice-based research activities developed over the last 5 years, considered by the candidate as having the greatest impact;
c) Activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed in the last 5 years, in particular in the context of the promotion of scientific culture and practices, the candidate regards as being most impactful.
11.3 The 5 years’ period mentioned above can be extended by the panel, if requested by the candidate, when justified on the grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, such as parental leave, prolonged serious illness, and other situations of unavailability for work that is legally protected.
12. Selection Methods
Evaluation and selection methods will be the curricular evaluation and, in case of a tie between candidates, an interview will be conducted.
13. Curricular Evaluation
13.1 The curricular evaluation (CE) is expressed on a 0 – 100 scale and results from the formula: CE = 50% SP + 40% RA + 5% DK + 5% ML
- SP corresponds to the scientific and technologic outputs over the last 5 years, which the candidate regards as having the most impact in the scientific areas of this call. This criterion includes the number and quality of scientific publications (index on Web of Knowledge and/or Scopus);
- RA corresponds to research activities developed over the last 5 years, which the candidate regards as having the most impact in the scientific areas of this call. This criterion includes previous participation in funded research projects (particularly with seabirds) and proven autonomous fieldwork namely in conducting procedures involving the handling of medium to large wild birds (essential for the scope of this project).
- DK corresponds to activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge developed in the last 5 years, in particular in the context of the promotion of scientific culture and practices, which the candidate regards as having the most impact in the scientific areas of this call. This criterion includes scientific outreach and dissemination of knowledge and results to the society, to academic and nonacademic audiences, and other activities of science communication.
- ML corresponds to the motivation letter clarifying the relevant scientific activities over the past five years, namely how the candidate’s expertise aligns with the project and profile laid out in point 6.
13.2 Each Jury member evaluates the applications based on the defined evaluation criteria for the Curricular Evaluation (CE) in a 0-100 scale. Final classifications of each criterion will be obtained by averaging the classifications indicated by each Jury member.
13.3 Candidates who are tied in the Curricular Evaluation score will be invited to the interview for tie-breaking purposes.
14.1 The interview consists of a discussion between the candidate and the Jury, which is meant to further clarify aspects related to the results of the candidate’s research.
14.2 The evaluation criteria of the interview will focus on the scientific knowledge demonstrated by the candidate, and on the suitability of the candidate’s research to the position of this call.
14.3 The evaluation of the interview is expressed on a 0 – 100 scale.
14.4 The final classification of the interview will be obtained by averaging the classifications indicated by each Jury member, and expressed on a 0-100 scale, up to the centesimal place.
15. Final Classification and Ranking
15.1 The final classification (FC) of each candidate corresponds to the score of the CE. In case of a tie between candidates, the interview conducted will weigh 10%.
In this case, FC is expressed by the weighted average of the two phases:
FC = 90% Curricular Evaluation + 10% Interview
15.2 In the event of a tie, the president of the jury will have a casting vote.
16. Minutes of the Jury meeting should be drawn up to include a summary of the meeting, as well as all votes cast by the members with the respective justifications. These minutes can be made available to candidates upon request.
17. The Jury also draws up an ordered list of approved candidates with their respective classification.
18. The final decision of the Jury should be validated by the institutional leader who also decides on the recruitment, namely the President of the Board of Directors of ISPA, CRL. If none of the candidates has the profile required for the position and respective work plan, then the jury has the right to not appoint anybody.
19. Hearing of interested parties
19.1 The final decisions of the Jury will be announced within 90 days from the deadline for submission of the applications. After notification, candidates will have 10 working days to respond (Pursuant to article 121 of the Code of Administrative Procedure). All candidates will be notified by e-mail.
19.2 Once the prior hearing period is finished, the selected candidate has 10 working days to accept the position in written. If the candidate fails to declare he/she accepts the position, this will be regarded as withdrawal or renouncement of the position. If the selected candidate declines, or withdraws from, the position, the jury can approach the next candidate(s) in the list and offer the contract to this candidate.
20. The tender is exclusively intended to fill the abovementioned position, and may be cancelled up to the homologation of the list of the final ordering of the applicants and expires with the respective filling of the position.
In conformity with article 13 of Decree-Law No. 57/2016, the Jury is composed of:
President: Doctor Paulo Catry, Assistant Professor with Aggregation at Ispa – Instituto Universitário, Principal Investigator of the project;
Effective member: Doctor Letizia Campioni, Integrated researcher at MARE - Centro de Ciências do Mar e do Ambiente – Ispa cluster;
Effective member: Doctor Ana Rita Patrício, Integrated researcher at MARE - Centro de Ciências do Mar e do Ambiente – Ispa cluster;
Alternate member: Doctor Joana Robalo, Associate Professor at Ispa – Instituto Universitário;
Alternate member: Doctor Manuel Eduardo dos Santos, Associate Professor at Ispa – Instituto Universitário e Scientific Coordinator at MARE - Centro de Ciências do Mar e do Ambiente –Ispa cluster.
22. Policy of non-discrimination and equal access
ISPA, CRL actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access policy, that is, no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties, based on ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, education, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
23. Pursuant to Decree-Law No. 29/2001, of February 3, disabled candidates are given preference in case of equal classification, which supersedes any legal preference. Candidates must declare, on their honor, on the application form, the respective disability degree, the type of disability and the means of communication/expression to be used during the selection process, according to the regulations above.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: PhD or equivalent
EURAXESS offer ID: 825726
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.