ORGANISATION/COMPANYCECS-Communication and Society Research Centre
RESEARCH FIELDCommunication sciencesSociology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE18/09/2022 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Braga
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
The University of Minho (UM) opens a call for the attribution of 1 Master enrolled in non-academic degree courses or PhD student research fellowship, reference no bYou_BI2022_1, in the area of Communication Sciences or Sociology, under the Research Fellowship Statute (EBI); the ruling FCT Regulation for Fellowships (RBI), and the University of Minho Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships (RBIC).
The Fellowships will be funded by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) under the scope of the “bYou – Estudo das vivências e expressões de crianças e jovens sobre os media”, ref. no PTDC/COM-OUT/3004/2020.
The research activities will take place at the Communication and Society Research Centre (CECS), University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, Portugal, under the scientific orientation of Professor Doctor Sara de Jesus Gomes Pereira. Due to the nature of the work plan, the candidate must have or come to settle in Portugal.
The fellowship holder will carry out activities in support to the organization and technical-scientific development of the project, namely:
- Conducting fieldwork in basic and secondary schools nationwide;
- Support in conducting focus groups and workshops in primary and secondary schools nationwide and their transcription;
- Carrying out works of processing, analysis and validation of qualitative data using NVIVO or MAXQDA;
- Support in the design and management of the project's 'expression wall', as well as the online exhibition of works resulting from the project;
- Preparation and participation in project meetings;
- Preparation of scientific meetings and support in the organization of Seminars and the Final Conference;
- Support in the development of dissemination and dissemination actions for the project and its results;
- Other tasks to support the development of the bYou project.
The Call runs between 9 and 18 September 2022, until 11:59 pm (GMT). Applications and application support documents requested in this call (‘Application Admissibility Requirements’) must be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com, indicating the call reference in the email subject “bYou_BI2022_1”. Applications sent by other means or extemporaneously will not be accepted.
Application Admissibility Requirements
It is essential, under penalty of non-admission to the call, to attach to the application the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Certificates of the previous academic degrees held, specifying mandatorily the final classification and, if possible, the classifications obtained in all the curricular units performed. Alternatively, the candidate must submit a declaration of honour, declaring that he/she has completed the Degree and the Master's Degree required in this call, at the time of the application deadline;
- For degrees obtained abroad, proof of recognition of academic degrees assigned by foreign higher education institutions and registration of the conversion of the final classification (GPA) to the Portuguese classification scale. Alternatively, the candidate's declaration of honour attesting to the request for recognition of degrees;
- Proof of proficiency in Portuguese, if the candidate does not have Portuguese as a first language / Proof of proficiency in English if the candidate does not have English as a first language. Alternatively, a declaration of honour by the candidate;
- Proof of research experience;
- Motivation Letter.
Applicable legislation and regulations
Research Fellowship Statute (EBI), approved by Law No. 40/2004 of August 18, in the current wording published by Decree-Law No. 123/2019 of August 28; the ruling FCT Regulation for Fellowships (RBI), and the University of Minho Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships (RBIC) of the University of Minho published in Diário da República n.º 199/2020, series 2, of June 22, 2020 (dispatch n.º 6524/2020).
The fellowship will last for 12 months and may, eventually, be renewed up to the applicable legal limit.
The fellowship amount, paid monthly by bank transfer to the account identified by the candidate, corresponds to 1144,64€, according to the FCT fellowships table, available at https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/Tabela_Valores_SMM_LOE_2021.pdf
Benefits: Reimbursement of Voluntary Social Insurance (SSV), corresponding to the 1st echelon of the contributory base (for fellowships lasting 6 months or more) and Personal Accident Insurance.
Exclusivity regime: The grantee will perform the activities under exclusivity, as foreseen in article 5º of the Research Fellow Statutes and applicable regulations.
Candidates must meet the eligibility conditions provided for in article 9 of the FCT Regulation for Fellowships (RBI).
The academic degrees and diplomas documents, or their respective recognition when awarded by foreign higher education institutions are not mandatory in the application phase, being replaced by a declaration of honour of the candidate with the contents of academic results. The documents of academic qualification or respective recognition will be required in the contracting phase and must attest to facts that occurred on a date prior to the application. In situations of divergence between the information contained in the declaration and the documentation submitted for contracting the grant, only the information contained in the latter will be considered. If the documents proving the ownership of the academic degree and diploma, or the respective recognition under the terms of Decree-Law No. 66/2018, of August 16, do not correspond to the classifications awarded in the evaluation of the academic path, which can change the candidate's ranking, the fellowship won’t be contracted.
Applicants with degrees obtained abroad must present proof of recognition of qualifications in Portugal and conversion of the final classification obtained in them to the Portuguese classification scale or declaration under the terms indicated in the previous point. For candidates who do not comply with one of these provisions, the selection panel will assign “0” in the grade of the graduation and/or master's course. Candidates will be evaluated on the remaining parameters.
The evaluation will be based on the Candidate Merit (MC), taking into account several subcriteria. The evaluation subcriteria to be used will be as follows:
- a. Academic path (which reflects the academic degree rankings) (0 to 25 points);
- b. Professional curriculum (which reflects the scientific and professional path) (0 to 70 points);
- c. Motivation letter (0 to 5 points).
The Candidate Merit (MC) classification will be obtained by applying the following formula: MC = a + b + c
The Jury may decide to call for an Interview (ENT) the two candidates with the best scores. In this case, the following sub-criteria will be evaluated:
- a. Interpersonal skills (0 to 30 points);
- b. Knowledge demonstrated in the contest area (0 to 40 points);
- c. Motivation (0 to 20 points);
- d. Language skills (0 to 10 points).
The interview classification (ENT) will be obtained by applying the following formula: ENT = a + b + c + d
In the case of an interview, the Final Classification (CF) of the Candidate Merit (MC) and the Interview (ENT) will be obtained by applying the following formula: CF = (MC*0,7) + (ENT*0,3)
If the interview does not take place, the final classification (CF) will correspond to 100% of the evaluation obtained in the Candidate Merit (MC).
The jury may not attribute the fellowship if the quality of the candidates is inferior to that intended.
President of the Jury
Sara de Jesus Gomes Pereira, CECS, UMinho
Daniel da Cruz Brandão, CECS, UMinho
Maria da Conceição Costa, CICANT, Universidade Lusófona
Manuel Joaquim da Silva Pinto, CECS, UMinho
The first effective member will substitute the President of the selection panel in case of impediment, being nominate the first substitute member in the place of the first effective member.
Reserve/substitute list: in case of cancellation of the fellowship, up to 6 months after its attribution, the vacancy(s) will be filled by the candidate(s) from the list of substitutes, according to the final ordering.
Publication of results
The final results of the evaluation will be publicized through a list sorted by the final grade obtained, posted in a visible and public place of the host institution, as well as by email to all candidates, attaching the minutes with the deliberations of the jury, within 90 working days after the deadline for submission of applications. The notification will be sent to the email address used by the applicants for the submission of the application/indicated in the application, with receipt of delivery of the notification.
Complaint and Appeal Procedures
After the notification, applicants have a period of 10 working days to produce their arguments at a prior hearing of interested parties, under Articles 121 and 122 following the Code of Administrative Procedure (CPA).
A complaint may be filed against the final decision, within 15 working days, addressed to the President of the Jury. Interested parties may also present an optional hierarchical appeal, addressed to the Pro-Rector for Research and Projects, Professor Dr. Sandra Paiva.
Contract template and final report template
The granting of the fellowship takes place through the signing of a contract between the University of Minho and the grantee, in accordance with the draft contract in its updated version in accordance with point 2.4 (Version 2021).
Failure to deliver any of the documents necessary to complete the process of contracting the fellowship, within 6 months from the date of communication of the conditional decision to grant the fellowship, implies the expiry of the aforementioned concession and the closure of the process.
The activities under the fellowship contract can only begin after proper authorization by the contracting entity.
Without prejudice to the other causes provided for in the applicable fellowship regulations (FCT and UMinho) and in the Research Fellowship Statute, the fellowship ends with the conclusion of the contracted work plan, as well as with the end of the period for which it was granted or renewed. At the end of the fellowship, the fellowship holder is obliged to present the Final Report of the work carried out, in accordance with the objectives and evaluation criteria defined with the scientific advisor, within 30 days after the end of the fellowship. The final report must be prepared in accordance with Annex I of the Scientific Research Scholarships Regulation of the University of Minho. Contract template and final report template (link).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELCommunication sciences: Master Degree or equivalentSociology: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESPORTUGUESE: ExcellentENGLISH: Good
The research fellowship is meant for enrolled candidates or candidates who may prove to have the necessary conditions to enrol in a Doctoral Program. Or enrolled masters or masters who may prove to have the necessary conditions to enrol in non-academic degree courses integrated into the educational project of the institution (UMinho), developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units. Applicants to the current call must comply with the following:
- Be a national citizen or a citizen from other European Union Member States;
- Be a citizen from third-party states;
- Be a stateless citizen;
- Be a citizen who may benefit from the political refugee status.
Applicants admissibility requirements
- Have a Bachelor's and Master's Degree in the following areas: Communication Sciences or Sociology;
- Good skills in Portuguese;
- Proven research experience in the field of communication sciences, specifical research on children, youth and media.
- Experience in conducting field work with children and young people;
- Experience in data analysis using SPSS, NVivo or MAXQDA;
- Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals on children, youth and the media;
- Participation in national and international conferences with communication about children, youth and media.
- Good skills in English.
EURAXESS offer ID: 825715
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.