- Human Resources Division
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
- First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Offer Starting Date
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Reference Number
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
5 Research Grant Announcement (M/F)
Call open for applications for five research grant within the framework of project FERROVIA 4.0, with reference POCI‐01‐0247‐FEDER‐046111, co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), through the Operational Programme for Competitiveness and Internationalization (COMPETE 2020), under the PORTUGAL 2020 Partnership Agreement, under the following conditions:
Scientific Area: Electrical and Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or in related fields.
Admission requirements: Candidates who cumulatively meet the following two requirements may apply for this grant:
- Be a student enrolled in a doctoral program in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or in related fields, a requirement to be duly proven at the time of signing the contract.
- Holder of an academic degree enrolled in a non-academic degree course integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution, developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units, requirement to be duly proven at the time of signing the contract.
Note: In the case of masters who are enrolled in non-academic degree courses, the scholarship can only be awarded to those who do not exceed, with this scholarship contract, including possible renewals, an accumulated period of two years in that typology of the scholarship, followed or interpolated.
- Hold a master’s degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or in related fields.
If the degree has been awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the provisions of the Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of august 16th, and any formalities established there must be fulfilled until the time of signing the contract.
Activity Outline: The hiring is aimed at R&D activities that fall within the area of Electrical and Computer Engineering or Informatics, with a view to:
- Development of remote vehicle monitoring systems based on on-board sensors, involving the construction, and testing of the demonstrator prototype.
- Testing on real vehicles and infrastructures the components, tools and systems developed to increase the competitiveness and quality of the rail transport service, considering four axes of intervention:
- Sustainability - Reducing the environmental footprint and attracting more passengers
- Cost reduction - Monitoring and optimization of the railway system
- Asset management - Monitoring of infrastructure and rolling stock data
- Traffic safety - Security conditions and alert systems
- Preparation and publication of articles in scientific journals and national and international conferences.
It is therefore intended to involve and participate in the following project activities:
- Profile 191 – Activity 8 of PPS1 and 2 of PPS5 (2 scholarships).
- Profile 192 – Activity 8 of PPS1 and 2 of PPS5 (2 scholarships).
- Profile 198 – Activity 6 of PPS2 and 2 of PPS5 (1 scholarship).
Legislation and regulations: Law Nº. 40/2004, of 18th August, in its current wording (Statutes of Scientific Research Fellow) and Regulation of Research Grants of Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, in force (https://www.fct.pt/financiamento/programas-de-financiamento/bolsas/ ) and Regulation of Research Grants of University of Porto, in force.
Workplace: The work will be developed at the Department of Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto (FEUP), under the scientific supervision of Professor Adriano da Silva Carvalho.
Grant duration: The grant will last until 30/06/2023, with the predicted starting date in March 2023, on an exclusive basis eventually renewable but never exceeding the end of the project.
If the recruitment procedures do not allow the grant to last for a minimum of 3 consecutive months, in accordance with paragraph 3 of article 6 of the Research Grant Regulations of the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. , the scholarship will not be awarded.
The eventual renewal of the scholarship will be carried out as determined in article 6 of the Research Grants Regulation of the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.
Stipend: The grant stipend amounts to 1.199,64€ according to the table of values of the grants awarded directly by FCT, I.P. in the Country (https://www.fct.pt/financiamento/programas-de-financiamento/bolsas/).
The payment will be made by bank transfer.
Selection procedure: Candidates will be graded on a scale of 1 to 5 points. A curricular evaluation (60%) will be carried out, which will focus on the candidate's merit, in which the following factors will be considered:
Curricular evaluation classification = (30%* AC1) + (30% * AC2) + (40% * AC3)
- AC1 - Academic training:
- Master's Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering - 5 points;
- Master's Degree in related areas relevant to the project - 4 points;
- Other Masters - [≥ 0 and < 4] points;
- AC2 - Master's final average:
- [≥ 17 values] – 5 points;
- [≥ 15 and < 17 values] – [≥ 4 and < 5] points
- [≥ 13 and < 15 values] – [≥ 3 and < 4] points
- [< 13 values] – 2 points;
- AC3 – Research experience:
- in the project area – [≥ 4 and ≤ 5] points;
- in areas related to the project – [≥ 2 and < 4] points;
- outside the project area – [≥ 0 and < 2] points;
After analyzing the submitted documentation, the Evaluation Panel will interview the 6 best classified in the curriculum evaluation, and candidates who obtain a score lower than 3,5 points will not be admitted to the interview.
In the interview (40%), topics related to the work plan, previous experience, motivation, and the candidate's CV will be discussed, where the following will be verified:
Interview classification = (60%* EC1) +(20% * EC2) +(20% * EC3)
E-C1 - Knowledge and motivation for the exercise of the function:
- Excellent knowledge and motivation – [≥ 4 and ≤ 5] points;
- Good knowledge and good motivation – [≥ 1 and < 4] points;
- Lack of knowledge or motivation – [≥ 0 and < 1] points
E-C2 - Attitude (evaluates the candidate's behavior in terms of ability to work in a team, ability to manage conflicts, capacity for persuasion, presentation and confidence)
- Excellent attitude – [≥ 4 and ≤ 5] points;
- Adequate attitude – [≥ 1 and < 4] points;
- Inappropriate attitude – [≥ 0 and < 1] points
E-C3 - Capacity of expression and verbal fluency in Portuguese and/or English (coherence and discursive clarity, vocabulary richness, ability to understand and interpret the questions asked).
- Very good ability to express, communicate or interpret – [≥ 4 and ≤ 5] points;
- Good ability to express, communicate or interpret – [≥ 1 and < 4] points;
- Difficulty in expressing, communicating or interpreting – [≥ 0 and < 1] points;
The final classification of the interviewed candidates will result from the sum of the classifications obtained in the Curriculum Assessment (AC) and Interview (E), giving each factor the weight of 60% and 40%, respectively:
Final classification = (60%* AC) +(40% * E)
The right not to hire is also reserved if the candidate with the best final classification does not obtain a classification equal to or greater than 4 points.
President: Prof. Dr. Adriano da Silva Carvalho
Effective member: Prof. Dr. Fernando Arménio da Costa Castro e Fontes
Effective member: Prof. Dr. António Pedro Rodrigues Aguiar
Supplementary member: Prof. Dr. Gil Manuel Magalhães de Andrade Gonçalves
Advertisement of final decision: The results of the evaluation will be released to the candidates
by email to the email address indicated in the application process.
Deadline for applications and form of presentation of the applications:
The call is open from 09/03/2023 to 22/03/2023 (until 23h59m, GMT time).
Applications must be formalized by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly stating the reference FEUP-BM5-FERROVIA4.0 and including the following pdf documents: Motivation letter (in English), Curriculum Vitae (in English or Portuguese), Copy of certificates evidencing academic degree (referring the classification of each separated or integrated degree), Declaration on honor that the candidate fulfills the requirement contained in article 6 of the Regulation for Research Grants of the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. (model below, for student enrolled in a non-academic degree course integrated in the educational project of a higher education institution, developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units) and other documents considered relevant by the applicant.
Declaration on honour
I, (identification of the scholarship holder), holder of the Citizen Card / Visa / Residence Permit no. valid until _____, declare under honour, to be in the conditions of no. 5 of article 6º of the Research Grants from FCT, IP - Regulation No. 950/2019, of 16 December.
- Number of offers available
- FEUP - FACULDADE DE ENGENHARIA DA UNIVERSIDADE DO PORTO
- Postal Code
- RUA DOUTOR ROBERTO FRIAS, S/N
Where to apply
- Rua Dr. Roberto Frias
- Postal Code