ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Amsterdam (UvA)
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/09/2022 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Amsterdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
Foundations and Applications of Emergence (FAEME) has three open positions for three year postdoctoral fellowships.
FAEME seeks senior postdocs whose research is at the interface between at least two of the institutes: the Van 't Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences (HIMS), the Korteweg-de Vries Institute for Mathematics (KdVI), the Institute of Physics (IoP), the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC), the Informatics Institute (IvI), the Institute for Advanced Study (IAS), the Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED) and the Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API).
You will join an excellent team of scientists that conducts exciting interdisciplinary research within emergence in areas such as (quantum) information theory, non-equilibrium statistical physics, theory of critical phenomena, experiments on (quantum) systems and living systems, chemical ecology, reaction networks, multiscale modelling, machine learning, complex system theory, agent-based modelling, causal inference, evolutionary game theory, network analysis, phases of matter, biophysics, emergent spacetime, and stochastic methods. Your research to be carried out at FAEME should be aligned with the Core Problem of Emergence. For ongoing projects within the various research clusters involved within FAEME, see DIEP@UvA (see also DIEP Fellows), AI4Science Lab, and AMCOOL; see also the Project Hub for inspiration.
In order to elaborate your cover letter and future research intent, we recommend that you contact researchers associated with FAEME for potential projects and interest.
We expect you to be able to work with a high degree of independence and serve as a driving force for your research subject. We also expect you to participate and help with FAEME's activities (e.g. seminars, workshops and other educational activities such as the Emergence course) and contribute to the creation of an exciting research environment.
The position is open to suitable candidates with a PhD in mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, logic, biology, ecology or astrophysics. The candidates should have (some) experience as an independent researcher, and excellent organisational, communication and cooperation skills.
What are you going to do
You are expected to:
- Perform, high level research (analytical theory, numerical modelling or logical-semantical foundations, experiment, formal proofs etc.) related to the above topics or a closely related field.
- Be able to work together with several other researchers within FAEME from different background (mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, logic, biology, ecology or astronomy).
- The research fellow will be integrated within the research interests of at least two of the following institutes: IoP (physics), HIMS (chemistry), IILC (logic), KdV (mathematics), Ivl (computer science), IBED (biodiversity and ecosystem dynamics) and API (astronomy).
- Act as central beacon on the research topic within FAEME.
- Assist in organising workshops, seminars or educational activities related to FAEME topics.
We offer a temporary employment contract for 38 hours per week for a period of 3 years. The preferred starting date is as soon as possible.
The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and dependent on relevant experience, ranges between € 2,846 to € 4,490 (scale 10). This does not include 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% year-end allowance. The UFO profile researcher is applicable. A favourable tax agreement, the '30% ruling', may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Universities of the Netherlands is applicable. The fellowship includes a 5k€ travel budget per year and access to funding for visitors and workshop organisation.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- a complete educational program for PhD students;
- multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- multiple courses on topics such as time management, handling stress and an online learning platform with 100+ different courses;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- partly paid parental leave;
- the possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- a pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- the possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you're moving from abroad.
Are you curious to read more about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits, take a look here.
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the button below. We accept applications until and including 30 September 2022. We will recruit until the positions are filled. The selection process commens immediately, but will close when a suitable candidate has been found, even if this is prior to the final date of the application window.
Applications should include the following information (all files besides your cv should be submitted in one single pdf file):
- A cover letter including motivation and explaining how your research fits into FAEME, what institutes could be involved, potential co-workers and research subjects (DIEP@UvA , DIEP Fellows, AI4Science Lab, and AMCOOL; see also the Project Hub for inspiration).
- A research statement about what topics or research programme you would like to pursue while at FAEME and how.
- Your CV, including publication list.
- The name and email address of three referees, who will be contacted when you are shortlisted.
Web site for additional job details
- A PhD in mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, logic, biology, ecology, or astronomy.
- Experience as an independent researcher.
- Excellent organisational, communication and cooperation skills.
EURAXESS offer ID: 797190
Posting organisation offer ID: 313697
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.