RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/06/2022 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Hasselt
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
You will give courses in the Master program Statistics and Data Science. You will also teach statistics and/or mathematics courses in other programmes (bachelor/masters) at Hasselt University. You will stimulate cooperation between statistics and mathematics. Supervision of bachelor and/or master theses will also be one of the tasks.
The professor’s duties will primarily include research in mathematical modelling of infectious diseases, where you actively contribute with publications, scientific communication, project coordination, PhD supervision and grant writing, and research based teaching in the Master program Statistics and Data Science. You will look for collaborations with research groups in computational mathematics and/or dynamic systems within the department mathematics-statistics. You will actively explore opportunities to strengthen the pandemic preparedness by expanding your research and collaborations with various partners. Outstanding applicants conduct both methodological and applied research in infectious disease epidemiology.
The Data Science Institute (DSI) brings together researchers working in the broad field of data science across different research groups from different faculties at Hasselt University, including researchers from statistics, computer science, mathematics, life sciences, and operations management. DSI's main objective is to facilitate the data‑driven future. It supports and enhances collaboration between different data science research groups at the university, and acts as a single point of contact for external collaborations and consultancy.
The Center for Statistics (CenStat) en the department Mathematics-Statistics, is hiring an outstanding, enthusiastic colleague to complement and strengthen the research line in infectious disease modelling. CenStat builds upon more than 30 years of ground-breaking research in mathematical statistics, biostatistics, statistical bioinformatics and epidemiology. CenStat offers, together with DSI, a master in Statistics and Data Science, which is an international and multidisciplinary master programme with four different specialisations: biostatistics, statistical bioinformatics, quantitative epidemiology and data science. CenStat is a division of I-BioStat, the Interuniversity Institute for Biostatistics and statistical Bioinformatics, and is internationally renowned, both for its theoretical as well as for its applied component. The activities in the field of modeling infectious diseases are situated within the interuniversity research group SIMID (www.simid.be) which has taken a leading role in policy-preparing research in the COVID-19 pandemic in Belgium and abroad. De department Mathematics-Statistics brings together various research groups in mathematics and statistics, including CenStat, Computational Mathematics, algebra and Dynamical Systems, and is, in addition to the master’s degree in Statistics and Data Science, involved in the Bachelor in Mathematics program and responsible for service education in various faculties.
We are currently looking for a candidate with a strong affinity in the mathematical modelling of infectious diseases, both in theoretical and applied sense so that the modelling outcomes can be used by policymakers under the circumstances of a pandemic. Furthermore, the new colleague should be eager to share and communicate his or her knowledge to others, both to peers and to the younger generations.
More information: https://www.uhasselt.be/DSI
We will offer
- either an appointment as a lecturer in the tenure track system during 5 years. This will lead to an immediate permanent contract as a senior lecturer, if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved, based on previously set public grading criteria.
- Otherwise, we will offer a fulltime appointment as a lecturer or higher, which will lead to tenure. In case of a first appointment as a member of the academic staff, the Board of Directors of the University can decide on a temporary appointment for a period up to 3 years. This will lead to a permanent contract if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved.
The selection procedure consists of a preselection based on application file, an introductory interview, a in-depth interview (with assignment) and an assessment center. If required, a selection exam can be held after preselection.
- You have obtained a PhD in statistics, data science, computer science. (or equivalent)
- You have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research in Statistics and Machine Learning, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make future impact.
- You are capable of and interested in facilitating cross-disciplinary interactions both within the Data Science Institute and beyond.
- You are involved in national/international partnerships.
- A demonstrable experience in scientific consulting and contract research for industry and other forms of technology transfer is an added advantage.
- A demonstrable experience in preparation and acquisition of scientific grants at national/international level is an added advantage.
- You have experience with respect to various aspects of academic education: coordination and organization of courses, development of teaching materials and supervision of practical projects and dissertations.
- Experience with interdisciplinary teaching in statistics and/or machine learning, including courses for students with a non-technical background is an added advantage.
- You are cooperative and can work well in teams.
- Dutch is the official administrative language of Hasselt University. If you do not have a sufficient knowledge of Dutch (CEFR level B2) upon your appointment, we expect you to obtain the required level no later than 5 years after being appointed or at the moment of tenure (usually after an internship of 3 years for senior academic staff). We provide tailor-made language training. If you are a coordinating lecturer you must have a command of the language of instruction of the program component at CEFR level C1. We provide tailor-made language training.
EURAXESS offer ID: 793972
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.