ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre for Demographic Studies (CED)
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/06/2022 13:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Bellaterra
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2022
CED, invites applications for a full-time Leading researcher in Demography.
The successful candidate will have a PhD in Demography or a cognate discipline, will be expected to contribute significantly to the research output of the Centre. The candidate will have, relative to career stage, a track record in research, including high-impact scholarship and international publications, and proved funding ID (i.e ERC grants).
Applications are sought from candidates with expertise in quantitative methods that align with the priority research areas of the Centre as detailed on the CED’s website (https:// ced.uab.cat/en/research/areas/). We particularly invite applicants with expertise in the areas of migration, inequality and life course dynamics. The appointee will be expected to engage in wider public and policy debates, and to foster collaboration with other external research bodies.
Centre for Demographic Studies (CED)
The Centre for Demographic Studies (CED), located on the Campus of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), counts some 70 members: its own scientific, technical and administrative staff, associated researchers belonging to the UAB, graduate and doctoral students and visiting fellows.
The CED ranks amongst the top European centres in demography and its a native member of the Population Europe Network. CED’s researchers are specialized in seven main demographic research areas: 1) Fertility and Family; 2) Education and Work; 3) Health and Ageing; 4) Migration, Mobility and Housing; 5) Historical Demography; 6) International Migrations; and 7) Applied Demography.
Over 65% of CED’s budget comes from competitive grants, mainly from European and Spanish research agencies. The CED has a high level of internationalization and excels in its research.
Conjointly with the UAB Department of Geography, the CED offers the Doctoral Program in Demography (https://ced.uab.cat/en/doctorat/doctorat-en-demografia/) which has granted 82 doctoral degrees since 2000 and has been awarded with the Mention toward Excellence by the Spanish Ministry of Education. It is an active member of the European Doctoral School of Demography-EDSD and it will be hosting the school for the second time during the next two years. The CED also offers the Barcelona Summer School of Demography (https://ced.uab.cat/courses/barcelona-summer-school-of-demography/).
CED is an equal opportunities employer and invites applications from all suitably qualified candidates. CED also works to promote work/life balance and facilitates this through Centre policy and practices.
CED offers a total gross salary R4(B) on CED's salary scale (from 46.907,37 to 54.107,37 euros per year)
Depending on the candidates, the final decision will be taken either by late July or early September. In any case, he successful candidate would be able to start as soon as of 1st of October 2022 and not later than six months after resolution
Applicants should submit a full Curriculum Vitae, two letters of recommendation and a cover letter (max. 2xA4 pages). The cover letter should state the reasons why the candidate is applying to this position and a short statement of his/her research interests and agenda for the next five years.
The application has to be written in English, and will only be accepted by email: email@example.com.
For application queries, please contact: Hermínia Pujol (CED Human resources and General manager) firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection will mainly take place during the month of July by an International Selection Committee.
Applications will be acknowledged by email. If you do not receive confirmation of receipt within one working day of submitting your application online, please contact Hermínia Pujol (email@example.com), on the job specification immediately and prior to the closing date/time.
First evaluation will be based on the merits stated in the their CVs, letters of recommendation and cover letters. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview during the months of July (of early September at the latest). In some instances, the interview may be done by video conferencing.
CED is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to employment policies, procedures and practices which do not discriminate on grounds such as gender, civil status, family status, age, disability, race, religious belief, sexual orientation or membership of the travelling community. On that basis we encourage and welcome talented people from all backgrounds to join our staff community.
The CED does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELDemography: PhD or equivalentOther: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: ExcellentSPANISH: Basic
• Have an excellent academic record and hold a PhD in Demography or a cognate discipline;
• Have or be willing to acquire an appropriate postgraduate professional qualification in third-level teaching.
2. Knowledge & Experience
• Evidence of research achievement, relative to career stage, in the form of publications in high-impact peer-reviewed international journals (e.g. ISI-ranked journals) and/or publications of equal standing of recognised originality and value;
• Proven ability or evident potential to attract external research funding (e.g. European Research Council grants);
• Experience in teaching and supervision at, mainly, postgraduate level;
• Ability to engage in public and policy debates and capacity to co-operate with nonuniversity institutions;
• Experience of working collaboratively and effectively in an interdisciplinary environment.
3. Skills & Competencies:
• Advanced knowledge of and ability to teach statistical methods to postgraduate level;
• Be fluent in English, both written and oral, (some command of Catalan and/or Spanish is an asset);
• Excellent presentation skills with the ability to enthuse listeners;
• A commitment to research-led and innovative methods;
• Strong organisational skills with the ability to effectively manage a demanding workload;
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to engage in the administrative requirements of the Centre.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• undertake high-quality, internationally-recognised demographic research with a view to consolidating their publications record;
• prepare and submit national and/or international research funding bids;
• represent the CED at national and international conferences;
• Ability to attract postgraduate students to the Centre, and to supervise Masters and PhD students;
• contribute to the general teaching of Demography;
• undertake administrative duties as assigned by the Director or the Manager’s CED.
EURAXESS offer ID: 790550
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.