ORGANISATION/COMPANYTallinn University of Technology
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceTechnology › Computer technology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/07/2022 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tallinn
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2022
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
Tallinn University of Technology (TalTech) is an international scientific community with 11,000 students and approximately 1,800 employees, one of the largest universities in Estonia that is a leading EU country in digitalization. The strengths of the university are wide multidisciplinary study/research interests, modern research and study environment as well as good collaboration with international educational and research institutions.
More information about TalTech: https://taltech.ee/en
Estonian Maritime Academy of TalTech invites applications for a postdoctoral position in the category of Recognised Researcher – R2 in cybersecurity of autonomous maritime systems.
The position is advertised under EU-funded Horizon2020 project entitled “ERA Chair in Maritime Cyber Security at Tallinn University of Technology”, with acronym MariCybERA (grant agreement No 952360-MariCybERA) coordinated by TalTech, Estonia.
More information: https://maricybera.taltech.ee/
Ships and maritime infrastructure were already among the most complex mechanical systems and civil structures needing specialization to design and operate them. The digital transformation of maritime industry, have motivated deployment of digital artefact in maritime infrastructures resulting into autonomous and semi-autonomous ships and maritime infrastructures. While these systems come with promise of higher efficiency, better performances, and easier operation, they strongly increase the attack surface of these systems. The issues surrounding connected and autonomous ships and infrastructures provides some of the most advanced and complex technical challenges of the digital transformation. Deep learning has shown great potential in autonomous systems, leveraging online learning, and adapting to changes in dynamic uncertain environments, enabling machine learning for autonomous navigation based on cognition-driven decision-making for ships, known as the situational awareness support. However, the design of these autonomous systems must incorporate cybersecurity to not risk safety of maritime operation, especially considering that today’s vessels should remain safe with only limited support from the shore, taking into account the future trends in increasing the capacity of shore assistance and management.
The Postdoctoral researcher will work on the cybersecurity of AI-based autonomous systems based on situational awareness in maritime systems. This may include the development of AI techniques for detecting anomalies in traffic patterns, techniques for generating alerts/alarms for safety and performance violations, techniques for performing explainability analysis of AI architectures for situational awareness and making more robust machine learning and tools to support continuous validation and monitoring of AI-based solutions for navigation.
Maritime keywords: Cybersecurity, Autonomous navigation, Autonomous systems, Situational awareness, Robust Machine learning, Explainable AI.
- Undertake research duties (pursuing research, contribution into labs and simulators development and implementation as well writing paper in high impact journals and conferences);
- Participate in mentoring and teaching MSc and PhD students;
- Provide general and specialist support for project proposals in the context of MariCybERA project.
The successful candidate is expected to build networks with both academic and non-academic partners, publish in indexed journals, but also to contribute to the project training and development activities.
Skills and experience
The successful candidate shall have:
- PhD degree in one of the fields of: information and communication technologies, computer science, maritime systems engineering, autonomous systems or equivalent;
- knowledge of cybersecurity and protection of computer systems;
- experience with machine learning will be a key asset;
- excellent level of spoken and written English, good interpersonal and communication skills, curiosity and creativity, also, willingness to learn and work as part of an international team;
- knowledge of the maritime domain is an advantage.
The position is in the Maritime Cybersecurity Research Group of Estonian maritime Academy. Expected starting date of the contract is 1 September 2022, but no later than 1 January 2023. The contract is fixed-term, 1-2 years. For further information, please contact Kave Salamatian, Research Professor, ERA Chair Holder email@example.com.
Further information about working and living in Estonia: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/, http://www.workinestonia.com/
- Excellent opportunities for performing high quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers and engineers.
- An informal and inclusive international working environment, green campus approach, a flexible schedule and modern office facilities located in Tallinn.
- Opportunities to build international networks, through established collaboration with industry, exchange programs and research visits to other universities, and support to attend research conferences.
- Innovative, ambitious and multidisciplinary cooperation-oriented research groups in the Estonian Maritime Academy as well in TalTech.
- Professionally provided administrative support (project applications writing, submission and projects implementation, HR, HPC, etc.).
- One of the most compact and sufficient maritime community in Europe that is surrounded by technology, digitalization and many high-tech companies and start-ups (Skype, Starship Technologies, Bolt, Pipedrive, etc.).
- To support the high-quality research, it is possible to use the numerous possibilities offered by our state-of-the-art Simulator Centre and modern laboratories’ infrastructure such as of engineering, refrigeration, process automation, pneumatics and hydraulics, electrical engineering, electronics, and marine electrical equipment.
- Our digital and small society – everything is doable digitally and on smart quick way.
- Individual development and training opportunities.
- A competitive salary.
- Relocation assistance.
- Wellness and work-life balance.
To apply for this position please send the following documents in English by 10 July 2022 at the latest by using the link “Apply”:
- cover letter (motivation for applying, research interests and how the candidate meets the preferred qualification of the position);
- documents proving that the candidate holds the required academic degree (PhD) and has acquired the required education;
- Curriculum vitae (educational background; relevant academic or industrial work experience; list of scientific publications, etc.);
- postdoctoral project idea (up to 3 pages);
- contact information of two references, including the PhD supervisor(s).
Regarding further information on the application documents and recruitment process please contact TalTech HR firstname.lastname@example.org.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: PhD or equivalentEngineering: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
EURAXESS offer ID: 789280
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.