ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Tartu
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/06/2022 18:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tartu
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2022
- Research, development and creative (RDC) activities in the field of evolutionary genomics including but not limited to curation and analysis of matching genetic, environmental and biomedical datasets and writing publications.
- Internationally recognized research in five years at least in the volume equivalent to that of 1.5 doctoral thesis.
- Development of skills necessary for RDC activities, and professional development.
- Teaching, using modern teaching methods and educational technology, primarily supervising students, incl. PhD students.
- Professional development to enhance teaching and supervising skills.
- Popularisation of the specialisation.
More information: job description.
PhD or an equivalent qualification
More information: requirements for teaching and research staff.
Essential skills and experience:
- Internationally recognised knowledge and emerging reputation in population or evolutionary genetics/genomics.
- Experience in working with large omics-datasets (DNA, RNA).
- Proficiency in programming and command line scripting. Knowledge of at least one programming language (R, Python, C-like)
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- International-level research in the specialisation, the volume of which so far is equivalent to at least one doctoral thesis.
- Track record of contributions to international research conferences.
- Track record in supervising undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Capacity to engage, mentor and motivate colleagues.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience in human population or evolutionary genomics (genome-wide coalescent analysis, natural selection scans, modelling, GWAS).
- Experience of gene co-expression network and pathway analysis from gene expression datasets. Knowledge of genome annotation tools and recourses.
- Experience with high performance computing systems (SLURM, etc,.).
- Success in applying for research funding.
- Experience in classroom teaching and tutoring.
- Advanced computational skills and experience in the analysis of large genomic and phenotypic datasets would be ideal.
Very good command of English. According to the Language Act, academic staff with foreign citizenship working in Estonia must have acquired at least B1-level Estonian language skills after five years of work. The Centre for Professional Development offers foreigners and their family members the opportunity to participate in Estonian language courses.
More information: UT salary rules.
Project website: https://cgem.ut.ee/avaleht
Anders Eriksson, firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be considered for the position, the candidate must submit the required documents to the email address email@example.com; employees of the UT should submit their documents via intranet) following documents:
- a letter of application to the Rector;
- a curriculum vitae in the established format;
- a list of research publications (if necessary, enclosing copies or offprints of more important publications);
- a copy of a document (including its annexes) which shows the candidate to hold the required qualification (with authorized translation into Estonian, English or Russian if the credential is not in Estonian, English, Russian, Finnish, Swedish, French, Italian, Ukrainian and Belarussian languages). A candidate can be required to submit the original or a certified copy of the document (including its annexes) showing the candidate to hold the required qualification. If the candidate has acquired the higher education in question abroad, he or she may be required to submit an assessment issued by the Academic Recognition Information Centre (the Estonian ENIC/NARIC) of his or her qualification in respect of the qualification requirements for the position;
- other materials considered relevant by the candidate (a list of such materials must be included in the application or annexed to it).
Number of copies: 1
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 780889
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.