ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Wroclaw
RESEARCH FIELDAstronomy › Astrophysics
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/06/2022 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Wrocław
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKTbd
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2022
University of Wrocław invites applications for the Postdoctoral position (2) in the "Centre of Scientific Excellence - Solar and Stellar Activity" project at the Faculty of Physics and Astronomy, University of Wrocław.
Competition number 44.2022.IDN.WFA of May 2, 2022
Department: Faculty of Physics and Astronomy, University of Wrocław
Position: Postdoctoral position
Type of position: research
Research area / discipline: astronomy (specialization: solar physics)
Deadline for submitting documents: June 16, 2022
The expected date of the results: June 24, 2022
Estimated job starting date: July 2022
Type of contract: full time, closed period
Estimated period of employment: closed period until September 30, 2024., with the possibility of extension to the end of project until December 31, 2025.
Salary: PLN 88,000 gross per year
Centre of Scientific Excellence – Solar and Stellar Activity operating within the Faculty of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Wrocław is looking for a candidate for a post-doc (assistant professor) position. The successful candidate will be employed for two-year period, with the possibility of extension, and will conduct research on solar physics, particularly related to the reduction, analysis and interpretation of the observational data from to quiet and active atmosphere of the Sun and stars. These data will be prepared in order to enable their comparison with the results of numerical modelling and simulations of these phenomena. This project aims to develop a research group conducting modern scientific research concerning magnetic activity of the Sun and stars, and related space weather. The team consists of experienced and young scientists whose activity focuses on the analysis of observations and the modelling of solar and stellar active phenomena, and on the use of advanced computational methods and existing numerical codes to interpret observations and construct models of these phenomena at various spatial and temporal scales. The data used are obtained with both ground-based and space instruments. Numerical codes enable to construct static and time-dependent models of active solar and stellar structures using radiative transfer under NLTE conditions in 1D and multidimensional structures.
The candidate is required to have:
- PhD degree in solar physics, astrophysics, space physics or in a closely related fields obtained not earlier than in 2014.
- Scientific achievements in the field of solar physics or astrophysics, documented by peer-reviewed publications, with particular emphasis on the topics related to reduction and analysis of the observations of solar and stellar activity and the interpretation of the obtained data.
- Experience in programming in IDL (or Python) and Fortran languages and knowledge of issues related to the data processing – calibration and analysis of solar images and spectroscopic solar and stellar data obtained from the ultraviolet to infrared range, containing observations of active phenomena on the Sun and active stars. Knowledge of the SolarSoft package. Ability to learn new programming languages and create computational and data analysis codes.
- Experience in acquiring/searching observations of solar and stellar active phenomena obtained in various ranges of the electromagnetic spectrum with instruments located in ground-based observatories and on-board space missions.
- Highly focused research activity and participation in research projects, including international ones.
- Fluent knowledge of English, both spoken and written.
- Publications in international scientific journals within the discipline of solar physics. Interest in other cool stars is welcomed.
- Conducting research as part of the “Centre of Scientific Excellence – Solar and Stellar Activity”.
- Scientific work in the field of solar physics, particularly in the field of data reduction and analysis of observations obtained in a wide range of the electromagnetic spectrum. Calibration of ground-based and space observational data, including spectroscopic observations of active phenomena. Preparation of data for use in spectral inversion techniques applied in the analysis of high spatial and temporal resolution observations and their comparison with the results of modeling and theoretical simulations. This can extended also to other cool stars.
- Participation in scientific meetings, seminars, preparation of scientific publications, active participation in international scientific conferences, collaborative visits.
- Participation in the preparation of grant applications and proposals for solar observation with the modern ground-based and space instruments.
- Strong international collaboration with institutes and scientific organizations in the area of issues related to the subject of the Centre of Excellence.
The application for the call should include:
- Curriculum vitae.
- Personal questionnaire of the person applying for employment (download Personal Data Form).
- A photocopy of the diploma certifying the academic degree of habilitated doctor.
- Written declaration that in case of employment of a candidate, the University of Wrocław will be his or her primary place of work (download Workplace Statement).
- Declaration as to the discipline in which the candidate will conduct research, and in the case of people conducting research in more than one discipline: the percentage of their involvement in each of these disciplines (download Scientific discipline declaration).
- Self-presentation containing the characteristics of the scientific and teaching experiences as well as the description of other achievements. Self-presentation clearly indicating how the candidate meets the call requirements, referring separately to the criterion of scientific activity, the criterion of international cooperation and the criterion of organizational activity.
- List of scientific publications of the candidate for a period not exceeding 10 years with the number of citations (without self-citations).
- Electronic versions of the two most important publications that the candidate considers representative of his or her scientific achievements, or an explanation of the lack of them, assuming that the Chairman of the Recruitment Committee may expect all or selected scientific publications or other documents to be submitted.
Submitted CV should include the following note: “I consent, within the meaning of Articles 4 and 7 of RODO, i.e. Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) (Official Journal of the EU L of 4.05.2016, pp. 1-88), to the processing of my personal data by the University of Wrocław, pl. Uniwersytecki 1, 50-137 Wrocław, for the purpose of recruitment for employment at the University of Wrocław. I am aware that the consent given may be withdrawn at any time in a manner appropriate to its giving.”
Documents should be sent by June 16, 2022 only in electronic form to the following address: email@example.com with the heading: “post-doc 2.IDN.WFA”
Additional information can be obtained from the Head of the Excellence Centre, dr hab. Arkadiusz Berlicki (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The University of Wrocław reserves the right to contact only selected candidates.
- Selected candidates may be required to undergo an interview by means of electronic communication allowing audio and video transmission.
- The University of Wrocław reserves the right to close the competition without selecting a candidate.
- The University of Wrocław reserves the right to cancel the competition.
- The University of Wrocław does not provide housing.
Information clause for people participating in the recruitment process:
Pursuant to Article 13 of Regulation 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of the European Union of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation, RODO), we inform you that:
- The administrator of your personal data is the University of Wrocław based in Wrocław, pl. Uniwersytecki 1, 50-137 Wrocław, hereinafter referred to as the Administrator.
- The Data Protection Officer at the University of Wrocław is dr Krzysztof Ziemba, email address: email@example.com
- Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of recruitment to work at the University of Wrocław. The legal basis for processing your personal data is Article 22 section1 of the Polish Labour Code, Article 119 of the Higher Education and Science Act and your consent.
- Your personal data will not be made available to other recipients, with the exception of entities with which the controller has entered into appropriate agreements for the entrustment of processing and cases provided for by law.
- Your data will be stored for the duration of the recruitment process, not longer than 12 months from the date of your application.
- You have the right to:
a) withdraw consent to the processing of personal data, without affecting the lawfulness of processing carried out on the basis of consent before its withdrawal,
b) demand from the Administrator access to their personal data, rectification, erasure or restriction of processing of personal data, data portability, however these rights may be restricted by a specific legal provision,
c) make a complaint to the supervisory authority – the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection.
- Providing personal data is voluntary, however, failure to provide data such as: first name(s) and surname, date of birth, place of residence (correspondence address), will result in inability to participate in the recruitment process.
More about the employer:
The University of Wrocław is among the largest and bests Polish universities, teaching more than 250 thousand students and employing about 2000 scientists (https://uni.wroc.pl/en/). The Wrocław city is a large, open and continuously developing city well communicated (airport, railways) with the world (https://www.wroclaw.pl/en/).
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELAstronomy: PhD or equivalentPhysics: PhD or equivalent
EURAXESS offer ID: 779795
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.