ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Salamanca
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Computer systemsComputer science › ProgrammingEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineeringTechnology › Computer technologyTechnology › Energy technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE05/05/2022 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Salamanca
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/06/2022
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER953442
IoTalentum is a European Training Network (ETN) funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action (MSCA). The MSCA ITN programme offers a highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. The overarching objective of IoTalentum is to provide high-level training in the field of next generation IoT (Internet of Things) to a new generation of ESRs. The global research objective of IoTalentum is to develop the next generation of IoT producing coordinated advantages in the area of infrastructures and cybersecurity and use it for the development of any application of next generation of IoT, and, in particular, those of smart grids. That global research objective is divided into three subobjectives:
- To develop an integral, autonomous and flexible control (assisted by artificial intelligence techniques) for a heterogeneous infrastructure for next generation of IoT based on 5G with an optical backhaul and equipped with the distributed computing and storage resources of the Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) paradigm.
- To propose new cybersecurity solutions to keep the integrity of the highly-distributed infrastructure of IoTalentum by acting on different layers.
- To develop smart grids using the infrastructure and the services of the next generation of IoT. To test the breakthroughs on infrastructure and cybersecurity in the smart grids sector. The global and interdisciplinary approach of IoTalentum ensures that their outcomes can be used by other sectors.
IoTalentum will train the recruited ESRs through an outstanding training program that includes coordinated research in different IoT fields. All ESRs will enjoy 10 months secondment in the workplace of other consortium partners (ensuring that each ESR stays at least eight months at industry). Moreover, IoTalentum also offers a continuous educational backbone over the whole duration of the project.
Available ESR position at the University of Salamanca:
Title: Smart Grids: Secured management of energy resources in smart neighbourhoods by mean of IoT devices (ESR14).
Main supervisor: Prof. Juan Manuel Corchado.
Objective: To design a collaborative environment able to monitor and measure the energy produced and consumed by different users and create an automated system for the “invoicing” of a balance, resulting from the interaction of the user with this pool of energy. To demonstrate the application of blockchain and IoT for handling an energy hub (microgrid). Integration and testing of IoTalentum infrastructure in DREAM-GO mock-up.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for full-time fixed-term positions (36 months) as an Early Stage Researcher (ESR).
- Selected candidates will have a full-time employment contract for the duration of 3 years (36 months).
- The ESR will be contracted according to Spain national rules with full social security benefits.
- 37.5 hours/week with flexible schedule.
- In accordance with the MSCA regulations for ESRs, the salary for selected candidates is constituted by a generous living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (depending on family situation).
- Gross salary: around 35,000 €/year (including living and mobility allowance) plus 4,000 €/year (for those who comply with the family requirements*)
*‘Family’ means persons linked to the researcher by marriage (or a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognised by the legislation of the country where this relationship was formalised) or dependent children who are actually being maintained by the researcher.
IoTalentum is financially supported by the European Commission under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA). The benefits of being an ESR of IoTalentum include:
- You will work in a stimulating, creative and internationally learning environment through an unique interdisciplinary research training program.
- You will be enrolled in top-quality PhD programs.
- IoTalentum training program offers unique, leading edge infrastructure and expertise, which is not available at a single place.
- You will be advised by excellent group leaders – they are all outstanding in their research and trainings.
- The IoTalentum consortium was generated with the firm purpose of training ESRs so that you can enter the labour market both in academic and non-academic environments.
- You will be exposed to very different and complementary research environment in both academia and industrial participating organisations.
- You will spend 30% of their recruitment time in different institutions of the network. While ESRs recruited at a university will enjoy secondments of at least eight months at industrial beneficiary or partner organization, those recruited by industrial beneficiaries will take part in secondments in academic beneficiaries to participate in PhD training as well as working with other PhD students.
- Strong involvement of industrial partners in training activities.
- You will have the opportunity to acquire outstanding complementary training in transferable skills (e.g. presentation techniques, networking, publishing, and outreach activities) as well as leadership, innovation and entrepreneurial skills.
- You will have the opportunity to acquire lifetime skills and optimum opportunities to build and extend your international network available to you throughout your professional career.
The applicants must, at the date of the call deadline, comply with the following eligibility criteria:
- To hold a MSc degree (or equivalent) in Engineering (ICT, Telecommunications, Electronic, Electrical or Computer), Mathematics, Physics or a related field.
- To have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organization, you should be in the first four year (full-time equivalent research experience*) of your research career.
- You must comply with the European Commission’s mobility rule, meaning at the time of recruitment by the host organization, they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the starting employment contract date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
- The positions are open to all nationalities.
- To be proficient in English language.
*Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when you obtained the degree entitling you to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which you are recruited or seconded), even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. Part-time research experience will be counted pro-rata.
How to apply:
- Read the Euraxess job offer.
- Read the Guide for Applicants in the IoTalentum webpage (http://www.iotalentum.eu/vacancies).
- Complete IoTalentum Application Form (http://www.iotalentum.eu/vacancies).
- Send your application, as well as the evidence of merits, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligible candidates will be ranked by the recruitment committee according to the following Recruitment Criteria:
- Academic Formation (40%): Evaluated from applicant CV (included in the Application Form) and certificates/evidence of merits. The participation of the applicant in European mobility programs (e.g. ERASMUS+) will be positively considered.
- Professional and/or research experience (30%): Evaluated from applicant CV (included in Application Form), certificates/evidence of merits and (sometimes) face-to-face interview.
- Languages (10%): Evaluated from applicant CV (included in Application Form), certificates/evidence of merits and (sometimes) face-to-face interview.
- Letter of motivation (10%): Each applicant has to submit a letter of motivation showing the interest in the project and indicating her/his research interest. The letter of motivation is included in the Application Form.
- References (10%): Each applicant can indicate two references and submit a letter of support from them. Selection committees can contact references.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentTechnology: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
The following merits will be assessed (if there is documentary evidence):
- Knowledge about communications networks.
- Knowledge in the field of Artificial Intelligence techniques.
- Experience in programming and knowledge of programming languages.
- Journal/conference papers related to the job topics, or in other fields from the area of engineering or mathematics.
- Other research merits.
EURAXESS offer ID: 775474
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.