ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstituto de Sistemas e Robótica - Porto
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Electronic engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/03/2022 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPortugal › Porto
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE21/03/2022
A post-doctoral research fellowship is now open for the MLDLCOV project - Impact of COVID-19 containment measures on mobility, air pollution, health and macroeconomic indicators in Portugal: a Machine Learning approach, with reference DSAIPA/CS/0086/2020, funded by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), through the Northern Regional Operational Program (NORTE2020), under Portugal 2020, of the Research Unit SYSTEC - Systems and Technology Research Center of the Institute for Systems and Robotics - Porto (ISRP).
The hiring of the Post-Doctoral Fellow is aimed at R&D and Dissemination activities that fall within the research areas of the MLDLCOV project, in order to satisfy a double purpose:
- The first aim aims to quantify the impact of different confinement measures imposed in Portugal on the following predefined variables: mobility, air pollution and health, macroeconomic indicators (tourism, consumer price index, situation of Portuguese companies, trade balance and wages).
- The second objective is to classify or predict the evolution of several predefined variables as targets for the models developed, with special emphasis on predicting the evolution of the Portuguese economy by developing models based on recurrent neural networks (RNN) with attention mechanism incorporation, convolutional neural network (CNN) models such as WaveNet with optimization to study multivariate time series and CNN with multiple attention mechanism.
The researcher will be integrated in the research team of the project coordinated by Professor Fernando Manuel Ferreira Lobo Pereira and will contribute to the following activities/tasks of the project, foreseen in the application:
Task 1. Data collection, processing and organization
Task 2. Resource engineering
Task 3. Econometric modeling
Task 4. Deep learning modeling
Task 5. Structure formalization and validation
Task 6. Dissemination, exploitation and communication
SCHOLARSHIP COMPONENTS: The monthly amount of the grant corresponds to € 1,686.00, according to the table of values of grants awarded directly by FCT, I.P. in Portugal (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). The grant may also include other components, under the terms set forth in article 18 of the FCT RBI and at the values established in its Annex II. All grant recipients are covered by personal accident insurance for research activities, borne by the ISR. All grant recipients who are not covered by any social protection scheme may exercise their right to social security by joining the voluntary social insurance scheme, under the terms of the Social Security Contributions Code.
SCHOLARSHIP COMPONENT PAYMENTS: Payments due to the grantee are made by bank transfer to the account identified by the grantee. The payment of the monthly maintenance allowance is made on the 23rd of each month, or if this coincides with a weekend or holiday, on the previous business day.
SCHOLARSHIP DURATION AND ACTIVITY REGIME: The fellowship will last for 12 months, starting in March 2022, on an exclusive basis, possibly renewable for up to 3 years, and never exceeding the maximum duration of the project.
The following documents must be submitted, at the time of the eventual awarding of the scholarship, for the purpose of contracting it:
- Copy of the document(s) or elements contained in the civil and tax identification documents;
- Copy of the qualification certificates of the academic degrees held;
- Presentation of the record of recognition of the foreign academic degrees and conversion of the respective final classifications to the Portuguese classification scale, if applicable;
The award of the scholarship is also dependent:
- of the fulfillment of the requirements foreseen in this Opening Notice;
- the result of the scientific evaluation;
- the absence of unjustified non-compliance with the duties of the grant recipient under a previous grant contract financed directly or indirectly by FCT;
- the budgetary availability of the project.
Failure to submit any of the documents required to complete the grant contractualization process within 6 months from the date of communication of the decision to award the grant conditionally will result in the expiration of the grant and the termination of the process.
- Motivation letter;
- Certificate proving academic qualifications;
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae;
- Declaration under oath that you comply with the requirement in c) of the admission requirements (model below);
- Other documents considered relevant by the candidate.
In order to ensure that all documents can be read, the preferred format is Portable Document Format (.pdf).
The selection of the scholarship holder will be based on a curricular evaluation that will focus on the merit of the candidate and an interview will be held for candidates whose classification in the curricular evaluation is equal to or higher than 4 points for this component of the evaluation process. The evaluation criteria for the curricular component are:
Grading Curriculum Evaluation (AC) = 40% * AC1 + 25% * AC2 + 25% * AC3 + 10% * AC4
AC1 - Academic profile of the candidate:
PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering (5 points)
PhD in related areas (3 points)
Other doctorates (0 points)
AC2 - Participation in R&D projects
in area relevant to the research project (5 points)
in related areas for the research project (3 points)
AC3 - Relevant publications (1 to 5 points)
AC4 - Motivation letter that will allow to evaluate the English proficiency and motivation of the candidate (1 to 5 points).
After reviewing the submitted documentation, the Selection Jury will interview the 2 top-ranked individuals, where they will be verified:
Interview grading (CE) = 50% * E1 + 25% * E2 + 25% * E3
E1 - Knowledge and motivation to perform the job:
Excellent knowledge and motivation - 4 to 5 points
Good knowledge and good motivation - 2 to 3 points
Lack of knowledge or motivation - 0 to 1 point
E2 - Attitude (evaluates the candidate's behavior in terms of teamwork skills, conflict management skills, persuasiveness, presentation and confidence)
Excellent attitude - 4 to 5 points
Adequate attitude - 2 to 3 points
Inadequate attitude - 0 to 1 points
E3 - Ability of expression and verbal fluency in Portuguese and/or English (coherence and clarity of speech, richness of vocabulary, ability to understand and interpret the questions asked).
Very good ability of expression, communication or interpretation - 4 to 5 points
Good capacity of expression, communication or interpretation - 2 to 3 points
Difficulty of expression, communication or interpretation - 0 to 1 point
The ranking of the candidates interviewed will be based on the following criteria and weights:
Final Grade (CF) = 60% * AC + 40% * CE
AC - CV evaluation - weight 60%.
CE - Interview (1-5 points) - weight 40%.
Applicants whose application is evaluated with a final rating of less than 4 (four) points are not eligible for a scholarship.
APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS: The call is governed by this Opening Notice, by the FCT Research Grant Regulations, approved by Regulation No. 950/2019, published in the II Series of the DR of December 16, 2019, by the Research Grant Holder Statute approved by Law No. 40/2004, of August 18, as amended, and by other applicable national and EU legislation.
PLACE OF WORK: The work will be developed at the Institute for Systems and Robotics, under the scientific supervision of Professor Fernando Manuel Ferreira Lobo Pereira.
Model Affidavit of Honor
I, (identification of the grant holder), bearer of Citizen Card / Visa / Residence Permit nr. , valid until , declare under oath, in accordance with paragraph e) of no. 3 of article 7 of the Research Grants Regulations of FCT, I.P. - Regulation no. 950/2019, of December 16, that I will not exceed, with the conclusion of the grant contract in question, including possible renewals, an accumulated period of three years in this type of grant, consecutive or interpolated.
(Signature of Applicant)
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electrical engineering
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESPORTUGUESE: Excellent
Preference is given to candidates with experience in developing models based on recurrent neural networks (RNN) with incorporation of attention mechanisms, convolutional neural network (CNN) models such as WaveNet with optimization for studying multivariate time series, and CNN with multiple attention mechanism.
This post-doctoral research fellowship can only be awarded provided that the following requirements are cumulatively met:
- The PhD degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering or PhD in related areas has been obtained within the three years prior to the date of submission of the application for the fellowship;
- The postdoctoral research is carried out in a host entity different from the entity where the research work leading to the doctoral degree was carried out;
- Not exceed, with the conclusion of the grant contract in question, including possible renewals, an accumulated period of three years in this type of grant, consecutive or interpolated.
If the qualification has been conferred by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the provisions of Decree Law no. 66/2018, of August 16th , and any formalities established therein must be fulfilled by the time of the contracting act.
EURAXESS offer ID: 743503
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.