ORGANISATION/COMPANYFaculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa
RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences › Linguistics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/02/2022 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Lisbon
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2022
- Tender open for the award of 1 scholarship for PhD students (Bolsa de Investigação para estudante de doutoramento). This grant is funded by Camões - Instituto da Cooperação e da Língua Portuguesa, under the project “Promoção da aquisição e ensino do Português como Língua de Herança através de ferramentas digitais inteligentes”. This grant is also funded by Portuguese national funds through Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, under the Project of the Centre of Linguistics of the University of Lisbon ref. # UIDB/00214/2020.
- The scholarship will be awarded for 12 months, and may be renewed up to 48 months. The scholarship will be financed in the first 12 months by the Financiamento de Base of the Center of Linguistics of the University of Lisbon (UIDB/00214/2020) and, in case of renewal, by the funds of the project “Promoting the acquisition and teaching of Portuguese as a language of Inheritance through intelligent digital tools” in the remaining months.
- The scholarship will be supervised by Professor Amália Mendes from the School of Arts and Humanities from the University of Lisbon, by Professor Detmar Meurers from the University of Tübingen, and by Professor Patrick Rebuschat from the Lancaster University.
- Workplan: The aim of the PhD project is to develop and evaluate a digital tool supporting the acquisition of Portuguese as a Foreign or Heritage language. The work can build on the existing tools developed by the University of Tübingen for English and German (http://icall-research.de). The goal is to support learners in selecting texts fostering learning and providing interactive feedback on learner writing. The computational linguistic analysis can build on recent findings about linguistic structures that are acquired late by heritage speakers of Portuguese and include an empirical validation of the findings based on texts produced by heritage speakers of the network maintained by the Camões Institute across the globe.
The successful applicant will work on a collaborative project co-supervised by Professor Amália Mendes (FLUL/CLUL, Lisbon), Professor Detmar Meurers (University of Tübingen) and Professor Patrick Rebuschat (Lancaster University). The project will require research stays at the University of Tübingen. The student will be integrated in the Heritage Language Consortium (HL2C), a strategic partnership between six European universities and the Camões Institute, a branch of the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Further details on the HL2C can be found on our website: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/heritage-language/.
The PhD which must be carried out within the scope of the PhD Program in Linguistics (School of Arts and Humanities of the University of Lisbon) and could be developed under a co-tutelle agreement with the University of Tübingen (with the right to the degree on the part of each of the universities). However, this would depend on the applicant’s interest and would be subject to internal approval at both institutions.
- The applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Applications must include a cover letter and the following documents:
- Cover letter stating the motivation for the apllication;
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae (written in either Portuguese or English);
- Proof of degree (duly certified by a Portuguese Authority if it is a foreign degree);
- Document proving acceptance or enrolment in a PhD program (if the applicant was already enrolled);
- Oher materials relevant to the application.
For application purposes, diplomas, certificates and trancripts need not be submitted. In lieu, a statement of compliance is required (see FLUL website). Official transcripts must be submitted prior to the signing of the contract.
Fellowships applicants must show that they meet the necessary conditions to enrol in the program leading to the attainment of the requested academic degree. Proof of acceptance will be required prior to the signing of the contract.
Stipend in accordance to the Portuguese Science Foundation salary scale, 1104,64€ per month (net) (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/Tabela_Valores_SMM_LOE_2021.pdf), paid by bank transfer.
Insurance costs (Seguro Social Voluntário and Seguro de Acidentes Pessoais) are supported by the employer.
Acceptance of the fellowship is exclusive of any other professional or research activity (Art. 5 of the Research Fellowship Holder Statute).
The following applicants are eligible:
a) Portuguese citizens or citizens of other Member States of the European Union;
b) Citizens of other countries;
c) Stateless persons;
d) Political refugees.
The Selection criteria are the following:
1. Curriculum Assessment (CA) (weight 70%) expressed on a scale from 0 to 20 values will be evaluated accordingly the following criteria:
1.1. Academic Qualification or level of qualification certified by the competent authorities (weight: 70%), expressed on a scale from 0 to 20 values;
1.2. Preferred Factors (weight: 70%) will be evaluated and include: proven knowledge of Natural Language Processing and work methods with corpora; declared and/or proven experience in software development and informatics system creation; declared and/or proven experience in the analysis of Portuguese or other Romance language; and proven knowledge of English and Portuguese;
2. Interview (I) (weight 30%).
Final classification = CA (70%) + I (30%)
Applications evaluated below 15 values (0-20) will not be eligible for funding.
Only applicants with 12 or more in the Curricular Assessment criteria will be called for the Interview, while all other candidates will be excluded from the process.
Chair: Professor Amália Mendes
Panel: Professor Detmar Meurers and Professor Patrick Rebuschat
Alternate: Professor Hugo Cardoso
Preliminary decisions will be posted at the at the FLUL website. Selected candidate(s) will be notified by e-mail.
Applicants may submit queries or complaints about the decisions within a ten-weekday period.
Final decisions must be announced within 90 weekdays of the application deadline and up to 60 weekdays after the end of the query and complaint deadline.
In case of non-acceptance by the selected candidates, the grant may be offered to any of the other ranked applicants within 18 months of the final announcement.
Job offer in Portuguese, Statement of Compliance, Final Report and Contract templates available here.
This grant is regulated by:
Portuguese Research Fellow Charter/Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica (Lei Nº. 40/2004, Decreto-Lei n.º 123/2019, Decreto-Lei n.º 89/2013, Decreto-Lei n.º 233/2012, and Lei n.º 12/2013); Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia Fellowship Bylaws / Regulamento de Bolsas de Investigação da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, IP (2019) and Universidade de Lisboa Fellowship Bylaws /Regulamento de Bolsas da Universidade de Lisboa (Despacho nº 6238/2020).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELLanguage sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
Applicants must be enrolled as PhD Students (Bolsa de Investigação para estudante de doutoramento) in Linguistics
Applicants must hold a BA or MA degree in linguistics, computational linguistics or information technology and must be students of the PhD Program in Linguistics (School of Arts and Humanities of the University of Lisbon) or willing and have the conditions to be enrolled in one.
Applicants must have proven knowledge of Natural Language Processing and work methods with corpora as well as proven knowledge of English and Portuguese.
Upon completion of the grant period, the scholarship holder has up to 60 weekdays to submit to firstname.lastname@example.org (a) a final report on the activities and results (in electronic format); and (b) the supervisor(s)'s evaluation of the final report.
The final report will be evaluated by the supervisor(s) according to the following criteria:
- Quality of the work developed - 60%;
- Results achieved (publications; conference presentations) - 30%;
- Integration and adaptation skills – 10%.
Each criterion will be graded 0-20. The final evaluation will be 0-20.
EURAXESS offer ID: 733640
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.