The Center for Geographical Studies (CEG) is opening a call for the attribution of 2 (two) research grants, below designated as Research Scholarships for Doctoral Degrees, in the areas of Geography, Sustainability Sciences, Migrations, Tourism, and Territory, Risk and Public Policies, under the Research Grants Regulation of the FCT (RBI) and of the Research Fellowship Statute (EBI). The grants will be financed by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) under the Protocol of Collaboration for Financing the Multiannual Research Scholarship Plan for Students of PhD, awarded between the FCT and the R&D Unit Centro de Estudos Geográficas, UIDP/00295/2020.
1. Form of submission of applications:
The call is open between January 10th and January 24th, 2022.
The applications and the documents supporting the application provided for in this Notice of Opening of the Tender must be submitted by email sent/submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Each candidate may submit only one application, under penalty of cancellation of all applications submitted. The provision of false statements or the carrying out of acts of plagiarism by the candidates is reason for cancellation of the appliation without prejudice to the adoption of other sanction measures.
2. TYPE AND DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIPS:
Research grants for PhD studies are intended to finance the realization, by the grantee, of activities leading to the attainment of an academic doctorate degree in Portuguese universities. The research activities leading to the attainment of the academic degree of Doctor will take place at the Center of Geographical Studies, which will be the host institution for the scholarship holders, without prejudice to the work being able to be carried out in collaboration between more than one institution. Research activities leading to the attainment of the academic degree of Doctor of the selected scholarship holders must be included in the activity plan and strategy of the Center for Geographical Studies, and must be developed under the following Doctoral Programs:
• PhD Program in Geography, Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning, University of Lisbon;
• PhD Program in Sustainability Sciences at the University of Lisbon;
• PhD Program in Migration, from the Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning,
Institute of Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Institute of Education, University of Lisbon;
• PhD Program in Tourism, from the Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning of
University of Lisboa, in collaboration with the Estoril Superior School of Hotel and Tourism;
• PhD Program in Territory, Risk and Public Policy, from the Institute of Geography and
Spatial Planning of the University of Lisbon, Interdisciplinary Research Institute (III) of the
University of Coimbra, and University of Aveiro.
The work plan may take place in full or in part at a national institution (scholarship at country or mixed exchange, respectively).
The duration of the scholarships is, as a rule, annual, renewable up to a maximum of four years (48 months), and cannot be
awarded scholarship for a period of less than 3 consecutive months.
In the case of a mixed scholarship, the period of the work plan that takes place at a foreign institution cannot be
longer than 24 months.
3. SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
The PhD Research Grants are intended for registered candidates or for candidates who satisfy the necessary conditions for enrolling in one of the PhD Programs listed in point 2 of the this Notice and who intend to carry out research activities leading to the attainment of the degree PhD student at the Center for Geographical Studies, or at host institutions associated with it.
Can apply for this call:
• National citizens or citizens of other Member States of the European Union;
• Citizens of third States;
• Citizens who are beneficiaries of political refugee status.
To apply for the PhD Research Scholarship it is necessary to:
• Be graduated or have a master's degree in the scientific area of Geography or in related fields;
• Residing in Portugal on a permanent and regular basis, if the work plan associated with the grant runs, partially, in foreign institutions (mixed scholarships), a requirement applicable to national citizens as to foreign nationals.
• Not having benefited from a doctoral or doctoral fellowship in companies directly financed by the FCT, irrespective of its duration.
• Not holding a Doctor's degree.
2. Application Admissibility Requirements
It is essential, under penalty of non-admission to the Call, to attach the following documents to the application:
• Elements of identity card/citizen card/passport;
• Candidate's curriculum vitae;
• Certificates of qualification of academic degrees held, specifying the final classification obligatorily and, if possible, the marks obtained in all subjects taken, or, alternatively, a statement of honor of the candidate in having completed the degree of Bachelor or Master by the end of the application;
• Record of recognition of academic degrees awarded by foreign higher education institutions and recording the conversion of their final rating to the Portuguese rating scale, or, alternatively, a declaration of honor by the candidate that he obtained recognition of the foreign degree equivalent to a bachelor's or master's degree by the end of the application period;
• Motivation letter, justifying the suitability of the candidate's profile to the proposed work plan (expressly indicate the code of the work plan you are applying for);
• Letters of Recommendation (2), with reference to the notice of this call and the context in which the author of the letter knows the job and the characteristics of the candidate, attesting to their qualities and suitability the work plan it proposes to carry out.
• Write the application and all associated documents, including motivation letters and recommendation, in Portuguese or in English.
Regarding the above mentioned admissibility requirements, the following should be noted:
• In the case of academic degrees awarded by foreign higher education institutions, and in order to ensure the application of the principle of equal treatment to candidates holding academic degrees, foreign and national, the recognition of these degrees and the conversion of the respective final rating for the Portuguese rating scale.
Recognition of foreign academic degrees and diplomas as well as conversion of the final classification for the Portuguese classification scale can be requested at any higher public education institution, or in the Directorate-General for Higher Education (DGES, just in the case of automatic recognition).
Regarding this matter, it is suggested to consult the DGES portal at the following address: http://www.dges.gov.pt
• Only candidates who have completed the cycle of studies leading to a Bachelor's or Master's degree until the end of the application period.will be admitted. If they still do not have the certificate of completion of the course, a declaration of honor from the candidates that they have completed the necessary qualifications for the purposes of the competition until the end of the application period will be accepted. The grant is always dependent on the presentation of proof of ownership of the necessary academic qualifications.
5. WORK PLANS AND SCIENTIFIC ORIENTATION OF THE SCHOLARSHIPS
6. Selection criteria
The candidate evaluation panel is made up of the following elements:
• Professor Doctor José Luís Zêzere, CEG-IGOT (panel coordinator)
• Professor Doctor José Manuel Simões, CEG-IGOT
• Professor Maria Lucinda Fonseca, CEG-IGOT
• Professor Mário Vale, CEG-IGOT
• Professor Doctor Gonçalo Vieira, CEG-IGOT
• Professor Margarida Queirós do Vale, CEG-IGOT
The evaluation panel will evaluate the applications in accordance with the evaluation criteria set out in Notice, considering the elements of appreciation.
All panel members, including the coordinator, make a commitment to respect a set of essential responsibilities to the evaluation process, such as the duties of impartiality of the declaration, of any potential conflict of interest situations and confidentiality at all times of the assessment process, confidentiality is fully protected and ensured in order to guarantee the independence of all opinions produced.
For each application, a final evaluation form will be produced by the panel where in a clear, coherent and consistent are presented the arguments that led to the classifications assigned to each of the evaluation criteria and sub-criteria.
Minutes of the responsibility of all its members will be produced from the meetings of the evaluation panel.
The minutes and their attachments must include, obligatorily, the following information:
• Name and affiliation of all evaluation panel members;
• Identification of all excluded applications and their respective reasons;
• Final Assessment Sheets for each candidate;
• Provisional list of classification and ranking of candidates, in descending order of final classification,
of all applications evaluated by the panel;
• CDI statements from all panel members;
• Possible delegations of votes and powers due to excused absence.
8. DISCLOSURE OF RESULTS
The results of the assessment are communicated via email to the email address used by the candidate for submission of the application.
9. TERMS AND PROCEDURES FOR PRIOR HEARING, COMPLAINT AND APPEAL
After communicating the provisional list of evaluation results, candidates have a period of 10 working days to, if they wish, make their views known during a prior hearing of interested parties, under the terms of the articles 121st et seq. of the Code of Administrative Procedure.
The final decision will be rendered after the analysis of the statements presented at the prior hearing of interested parties. A complaint may be filed against the final decision within 15 working days, or, alternatively, an appeal was filed within 30 working days, both counting from the respective notification. the candidates who choose to submit a complaint must address their statement to the member of the FCT Board of Directors with delegated competence. Candidates who choose to file an appeal must submit the same to the FCT Board of Directors.
10. SCHOLARSHIP GRANT REQUIREMENTS
Research fellowship contracts are signed directly with the FCT.
The following documents must obligatorily be sent, when granting the scholarship, for the purposes of contracting:
a) Copy of the civil, fiscal and, where applicable, social security identification document(s)1;
b) Copy of the qualification certificates of the academic degrees held;
c) Presentation of the registration of recognition of foreign academic degrees and conversion of the respective
final ratings for the Portuguese rating scale, if applicable;
d) Document proving enrollment and enrollment in one of the Doctoral Programs identified in the this Notice;
e) Statement by the supervisor(s) assuming responsibility for supervising the work plan, under the terms Article 5-A of the Research Fellowship Statute (draft of the declaration to be made available by the FCT);
f) Document attesting the candidate's acceptance by the institution where the activities of investigation, ensuring the necessary conditions for its proper development, as well as compliance with the duties provided for in article 13 of the Research Fellowship Statute (draft of the declaration to be made available by FCT);
g) Updated document proving compliance with the exclusive dedication regime (draft statement made available by the FCT).
h) Work plan.
The granting of the scholarship is still dependent on:
• compliance with the requirements set out in this Notice of Opening;
• the result of the scientific evaluation;
• the lack of unjustified non-compliance with the grantee's duties under the previous contract of scholarship funded, directly or indirectly, by the FCT;
• FCT budget availability.
Failure to deliver any of the documents necessary to complete the contracting process of the scholarship, within 6 months from the date of communication of the decision to grant the scholarship conditional, implies the expiry of the referred concession and the closure of the process.
The payment of scholarships will start after the return, by the candidates, of the scholarship contract duly signed, which must occur within a maximum period of 15 working days from the date of receipt. The scholarships awarded in the scope of this competition will be financed by the FCT with funds from the Budget of State and, when eligible, with funds from the European Social Fund, to be made available under PORTUGAL2020, through, in particular, the Northern Regional Operational Program (NORTH 2020), Operational Program Centro Regional (Centro 2020) and the Alentejo Regional Operational Program (Alentejo 2020), in accordance with the regulatory provisions established for this purpose.
12. SCHOLARSHIP COMPONENTS
Scholarship holders are allocated a monthly maintenance allowance in accordance with the table in Annex I of the RBI.
The exchange may also include other components, under the terms set out in article 18 of the RBI and for the values provided for in its Annex II. All scholarship holders benefit from personal accident insurance for research activities,
supported by the FCT. All scholarship holders who are not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the exercise of the right to social security by joining the voluntary social insurance scheme, under the terms of the Code of Contribution Regimes of the Social Security Social Security System, ensuring the FCT the charges resulting from contributions under the terms and within the limits provided for in article 10 of the EBI.
13. PAYMENTS OF SCHOLARSHIP COMPONENTS
Payments due to the scholarship holder are made via bank transfer to the account identified by the scholarship holder. Payment of the monthly maintenance allowance is made on the first working day of each month. Payments for the registration, enrollment or tuition fees are made by the FCT directly to the national institution where the scholarship holder is enrolled or enrolled in the doctorate.
14. SCHOLARSHIP RENEWAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The renewal of the scholarship always depends on the request submitted by the scholarship holder, within 60 working days prior to the date of start of renewal, accompanied by the following documents:
a) opinions issued by the supervisor(s) and by the host entity(ies) on the follow-up of the scholarship holder's work and the evaluation of his/her activities;
b) updated document proving compliance with the exclusive dedication regime;
c) document attesting to the renewal of enrollment in the study cycle leading to a doctoral degree.
15. INFORMATION AND ADVERTISING OF THE FINANCING GRANTED
In all R&D activities directly or indirectly financed by the grant, namely, in all communications, publications and scientific creations, as well as theses, carried out with the support provided for in the grant, mention must be made of financial support from the FCT and the European Social Fund, through, in particular, the Northern Regional Operational Program (NORTH 2020), Central Regional Operational Program (Center 2020) and the Alentejo Regional Operational Program (Alentejo 2020). For this purpose, they must be registered in the documents referring to these actions the insignia of the FCT, the MCTES, the FSE and the EU, in accordance with the graphic standards of each operational program.
The dissemination of research results funded under the RBI must comply with access rules data, publications and other research results in force at the FCT. In all scholarships, and in particular in the case of actions supported by community funding, namely of the ESF, monitoring and control actions may be carried out by national and in accordance with the applicable legislation in this matter, existing on the part of the scholarship holders supported by obligation to collaborate and provide the requested information, which covers the performance of surveys and evaluation studies in this area, although the grant has already ceased.
16. NON-DISCRIMINATION AND EQUAL ACCESS POLICY
The FCT promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, whereby no candidate can be privileged, benefited, harmed or deprived of any right or exempt from any duty on account of, namely, of ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, economic situtation, education, origin or social condition, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, home territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
17. APPLICABLE LEGISLATION AND REGULATIONS
The Contest is governed by this Opening Notice, by the FCT Research Grant Regulation, approved by Regulation No. 950/2019, published in the II Series of the DR of December 16, 2019, by the laws of the Research Fellowship approved by Law No. 40/2004, of August 18, in the current wording, and by the other applicable national and Community legislation.