ORGANISATION/COMPANYmdw - University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna
RESEARCH FIELDArts › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE14/01/2022 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONAustria › Vienna
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2022
Since its establishment in the late 1980s, the music theory branch of study at the mdw has seen itself as the intersection of musicology, instrumental playing, and composition, thus representing a discipline that is both scientific and artistic. It relates various methods of historical and systematic music research to all aspects of the production and perception of music, and is dedicated, in no small way, to the post-creative exploration and development of music. Based on knowledge of the current state of international music theory research, the history of composition and music theory is examined in all its breadth. The view extends beyond the core area of Western music theory and includes music theories of non-European traditions. In addition to traditional academic research on music theory and in close relation to artistic comprehension, music theory practice is also justified in the context of artistic research. In the connection between scientific reflection and artistic activity, a fruitful field of tension opens up in research and teaching, which is characterised by interdisciplinary thinking.
- Representation of the subject and the branch of study Music Theory in research and teaching, as well as in the area of artistic research.
- Supervision of qualification theses in the pre-graduate area as well as supervision of music theory dissertations and participation in the supervision of artistic dissertations
- Collaboration in the development and implementation of scientific and artistic educational goals in the music theory branch of study
- Participation in the tasks of the department in the area of teaching and research organisation
- Collaboration in organisational and administrative tasks as well as in evaluation tasks
Gross salary, according to the collective agreement, amounts to € 5.321,70 per month (14 salaries per year). A possible higher salary, depending on qualifications and previous experience, is subject to appointment negotiations.
Applications must be submitted in electronic form via the mdw application portal https://www.mdw.ac.at/bewerbungsportal. All application material should be sent in PDF format.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna is committed to the equal treatment of all qualified applicants regardless of sex, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, world-view, age, or disability.
The University is particularly interested in increasing the percentage of women working in the artistic, scientific and general university personnel ranks. It therefore expressly encourages qualified women to apply.
It should be specifically mentioned, however, that applicants who are invited to the audition will not receive remuneration from the university for incurred travel and hotel expenses.
- A degree in musicology or music theory from an Austrian university or equivalent foreign university and a relevant doctorate in musicology.
- Outstanding qualifications in research, teaching and practice in the field of music theory
- Proof of methodically reflected analytical engagement with a broad historical spectrum of music of various genres, as evidenced by international publications.
- Proof of profound knowledge of the current international state of artistic research [by reference to published articles or articles written especially for this application or own artistic research projects]
- Proof of artistic activities corresponding to the application
- Pedagogical and didactic experience in post-secondary education
- Pedagogical and didactic aptitude appropriate to the position to be filled, to be verified by means of a demonstration lesson
- German: Excellent
- Extensive engagement with questions of composition, improvisation, especially the invention and development of music of different epochs and cultures, and with the understanding of artistic action on which they are based
- Experience in academic teaching as well as in scholarly organisation
- Experience in the conception and acquisition of third-party funding projects
- Relevant experience abroad (lecturing, research, or teaching)
- Leadership qualifications
EURAXESS offer ID: 719877
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.