ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité Gustave Eiffel
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Civil engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/03/2022 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Nantes
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE03/10/2022
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions COFUND
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER101034248
The Transportation Infrastructure construction sector is aware of its environmental footprint and is thus continuously moving towards more environmentally friendly technologies. Concerning asphaltic pavement, it is necessary to find cost effective solutions for a circular post-fossil fuel society that could promote the wide-spread use of alternative bitumen from renewable raw materials that do not interfere with the food industry, as well as polymer as main ingredients of asphalt mixtures. This could lead towards energy efficient long-lasting road pavement built with the lowest amount possible of non-recycled materials and thus, minimize the footprint of a road infrastructure significantly.
In this context, the PhD project proposes to explore some routes related to the organic matrix which could be used to bind mineral aggregate skeleton (alternative to bituminous mix). It is proposed to work first on finding new solutions to replace bitumen, secondly to work on smarter accelerated ageing procedures for innovative organic pavement materials.
The project is based on a original European partnership composed of University Gustave Eiffel, University of Palermo, Technical University of Wien and Eiffage. The project deals with a concrete problematic in line with nowadays environmental concerns.
The first part will be dedicated to alternative biobinder development. This work will profit from existing solutions which are currently studied by partners such as Biophalt whoch has been developed by Eiffage or more recent project using tire waste associated with Vegetal oil. Moreover, these existing solutions will be used as inspirative concepts to find new promising biomass. They will be chosen according to a literature review and local agriculture residue availability.
Scientific challenges of this first part will be to solve how to chemically transform biomass to produce a sticky viscous material adaptable to asphalt mix production and use. Produced materials will be mainly assess using rheologic properies.
The second part will be dedicated to the ageing mechanism of recently developed binders. Trial sites have been already done with Biophalt vegetal binder and tire waste associated with vegetale oil. They will be served at reference for field ageing. Main works will consist in developing lab accelerated ageing procedures to assess the ageing kinetic of material coming from biomass and tyre residues in relevant environments (e.g. continental or oceanic or mountain climates). In order to undertake fundamental investigation in the aging process, the materials will be aged by varying factors, such as temperature, reactive oxygen species (ROS, e.g. nitrogen oxide and ozone), UV exposure, and also using specialized equipment simulating aggressive environment such as the marine context with high concentration of moisture and salt (University of Palermo) as well as state-of-the-art facilities at TU Wien. TU Wien has been studying ageing of asphaltic materials, developing and improving lab ageing simulation in the past 12 years. With the Viennese Binder Ageing (VBA) device, a highly flexible and sophisticated approach to simulate field ageing in the lab is available. With the use of VBA, binder materials can be aged while varying temperature, concentration of ROS, UV-VIS radiation and moisture. Thus, the simulation in the lab can be adapted to the observed field ageing in the trial sites.
Scientific challenges of this second part will be to determine the main biobinder molecular changes during ageing and the consequences on the mechanical properties (in order to be able to reproduce ageing mechanisms in lab).
- High-quality doctoral training rewarded by a PhD degree, delivered by Université Gustave Eiffel.
- Access to cutting-edge infrastructures for research & innovation.
- Appointment for a period of 36 months based on a salary of 2 700 € (gross salary per month).
- Job contract under the French labour legislation in force, respecting health and safety, and social security: 35 hours per week contract, 25 days of annual leave per year.
- International mobility will be mandatory.
- An international environment supported by the adherence to the European Charter & Code.
- Access to dedicate’d CLEAR-Doc trainings with a strong interdisciplinary focus, together with a Career development Plan.
- At the time of the deadline, applicants must be in possession or finalizing their Master’s degree or equivalent/postgraduate degree. At the time of recruitment, applicants must be in possession of their Master’s degree or equivalent/postgraduate degree which would formally entitle to embark on a doctorate.
- At the time of the deadline, applicants must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research career (career breaks excluded) and not yet been awarded a doctoral degree. Career breaks refer to periods of time where the candidate was not active in research, regardless of his/her employment status (sick leave, maternity leave etc). Short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account.
- At the time of the deadline, applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in France for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
- Applicants must be available to start the programme on schedule (around 1st October 2022).
Please refer to the Guide for Applicants available on the CLEAR-Doc website.
- The First step before applying is contacting the PhD supervisor. You will not be able to apply without an acceptation letter from the PhD supervisor.
- Please contact the PhD supervisor for any additional detail on job offer.
- There are no restrictions concerning the age, gender or nationality of the candidates. Applicants with career breaks or variations in the chronological sequence of their career, with mobility experience or with interdisciplinary background or private sector experience are welcome to apply.
- Support service is available during every step of the application process by email: email@example.com
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- At the time of the deadline, applicants must be in possession or finalizing their Master’s degree or equivalent/postgraduate degree.
- At the time of recruitment, applicants must be in possession of their Master’s degree or equivalent/postgraduate degree which would formally entitle to embark on a doctorate.
- International and intersectoral Mobility:
- A 2 to 3 months secondment at University of Palermo (Italy).
- A 12 months secondment at Eiffage.
- A 6 to 9 months secondment at TU Wien (Austria).
EURAXESS offer ID: 716418
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.