ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Twente (UT)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/04/2022 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Enschede
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40.0
Are you enthusiastic about exploring scientific challenges with an industrial application perspective?
Extreme ultraviolet lithography (EUVL) is the latest generation of the semiconductor manufacturing technology. Future EUVL machines require improved wafer flatness during lithography process for enhanced performance. It is challenging to provide the necessary flatness with the current electrostatic wafer stages. An active wafer stage with locally tunable actuators made from piezoelectric thin films is a promising candidate.
We are looking for a motivated and skilled PhD student to carry out research on the fundamental physics questions on the growth and characterization of piezoelectric thin films and usage of these films as building blocks for actuators with multiple degrees of freedom.
The XUV Optics Group at Twente has started a new multidisciplinary research program on these topics. We develop forefront fundamental research, relevant to high tech applications (www.utwente.nl/xuv/). The research will take place in a state-of-the-art thin film laboratory within the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology at the University of Twente, in collaboration with various academic and industrial partners. The XUV group has a track record in developing thin film physics and holds several records in functional film properties, including the reflectivity of thin film multilayer optics.
Your goal is to develop the key material science required for growing and using piezoelectric thin films in actuator configurations. This includes:
- Exploring the layer growth processes and molecular scale process engineering of piezoelectric thin films, using physical vapor deposition techniques such as pulsed laser deposition, aiming for high piezoelectric functional properties on industrially relevant substrates.
- Developing the understanding of the piezoelectric film structures and their functional properties using characterization techniques such as AFM, XRD, SEM and DBLI and detailed data analysis.
- Exploring new actuator geometries enabling movement with multiple-degrees of freedom using piezoelectric thin films.
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include:
- A fulltime PhD position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year.
- Full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits.
- The salary will range from € 2.434 (1st year) to € 3.111,- (4th year) per month, plus a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- Excellent facilities for professional and personal development
Your reaction should include:
- a motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation for this particular project,
- a detailed CV, containing your transcript of B.Sc., M.Sc. education, publications list, and contact details of your references.
An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure.
For detailed information about the position, you are encouraged to contact Dr. Muharrem Bayraktar at email@example.com, +31 53 489 3910. Please do not email but submit your application using the "APPLY NOW" button.
Web site for additional job details
- You have a MSc degree in physics, materials science, physical chemistry or engineering, solid state or surface physics or a related field.
- You have affinity with the physical vapor deposition of piezoelectric thin films and their optical, structural, and chemical characterization.
- You are an excellent team player in an enthusiastic group of scientists and engineers working on a common theme.
- You are creative, like to push boundaries, and are highly motivated to address a major science challenge in thin film physics.
- You are fluent in English and able to collaborate intensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits.
EURAXESS offer ID: 715106
Posting organisation offer ID: 306995
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.