ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat de Barcelona
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/12/2021 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK30
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2022
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
The ARTSOUNDSCAPES project deals with sound, rock art and sacred landscapes among past hunter-gatherers and early agricultural societies around the world. The potential of sound to stimulate powerful emotions makes it a common medium for conferring places with extraordinary agency. Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources indicate that these sites are often endowed with a sacred significance and, in many cases, they also receive special treatment, including the production of rock paintings. Despite the aural experience being an integral component of the human condition and a key element in ritual, archaeology has largely been unable to study it systematically. Rock art landscapes are no exception and, although some studies have been made, they have largely been reproached for their lack of scientific rigour and subjectivity. ARTSOUNDSCAPES will fully address this weakness by investigating the perception of sound in rock art landscapes from an interdisciplinary approach reflected in its five Research Lines:
- Research line 1: Characterising the acoustic properties of rock art landscapes.
- Research line 2: The psychoacoustics of rock art landscapes.
- Research line 3: Neuropsychology and emotion in rock art landscapes.
- Research line 4: Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources.
- Research line 5: Phenomenological analysis of sacred emotion and rock art soundscapes.
KEY RESPONSABILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Work closely with the project PI, the Senior Post Doctoral Researcher(s) and the other team members;
- Assist project members with basic research in artsoundscapes, with the research and dissemination tasks associated to the project;
- Unless on fieldwork, attending meetings, conferences or travelling for archival and literature research allowed by the PI, a key responsibility of the researcher will be to work in the Department of History and Archaeology, University of Barcelona.
FUNCTIONS AND/OR TASKS OF THE POSITION
Related to the whole project
- Collaborate with the PI, the senior PD and other team members for all required tasks and RLs in the project.
- Attend to all weekly meetings and seminars as possible being organised by the project
Related to Research Line 1
- Join fieldwork if needed and assist the project PI and the Senior postdoctoral researcher(s) in the field;
- Assist team members associated to this research line to the research and dissemination tasks associated to it.
- Actively work in academic dissemination by assisting with the writing of at least one article to be published in a peer-reviewed publication.
- Actively participate in non-academic dissemination for wider audiences agreed by the PI.
- Perform other related duties as required.
FBG project number
The sound of special places: exploring rock art soundscapes and the sacred
Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu García
Història i Arqueologia
Gross salary per year
Negotiable between 15.500 - 16.500 gross salary
Proof of experience in academic work
Proof of experience in the organisation of conferences
Proof of experience in academic writing
Proof of experience in outreach activities
1 academic reference letter
All these documents should to be sent to email@example.com by the deadline. Large documents may be sent by alternative media such as Hightail or similar. Please, ask for acknowledgement of receipt
Send your application to:
Prof. Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu
Application for a Research Assistant in Artsoundscapes
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELHistory: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: GoodSPANISH: Good
We are looking for highly motivated, creative, inter-disciplinary
senior researcher with a background in rock art
The candidate is expected to possess:
- Positive and strong attitude in teamwork and great commitment to research;
- Organisational skills
The candidate is expected to have:
- An undergraduate degree in History or Archaeology;
- experience in archaeological survey
The following specific requirements are considered as assets:
- Experience in academic work
- experience in the organisation of conferences
- experience in academic writing
- experience in the organisation of outreach activities
- Having contributed to academic conferences on a subject related to archaeology;
- Relevant experience in archaeological fieldwork;
Developed speaking skills for communicating with audiences ranging from the general public to international scholars;
EURAXESS offer ID: 714228
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.