ORGANISATION/COMPANYPaul Scherrer Institut Villigen
RESEARCH FIELDEngineeringEnvironmental sciencePhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/02/2022 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSwitzerland › Villigen PSI
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK41.5
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Aerosol Physics Group within the Laboratory of Atmospheric Chemistry we are looking for a
In experimental research on aerosol optics
Polarimetric measurements quantifying the angular distribution of light scattering by aerosol particles, i.e. the phase function, provide ample information on aerosol microphysical properties. The broader aim of this project is to bridge the gap between ground-based and remote sensing aerosol observations, which rely on polarimetry, by deploying a new laser imaging polar nephelometer for in-situ measurements of phase functions. Acquired data will also be used to assess aerosol property retrieval algorithms.
During your Postdoc you will:
- Support technical upgrade of polar nephelometer and validation in laboratory experiments
- Coordinate and perform laboratory and field experiments to determine phase functions and aerosol physical properties of well constrained and more complex atmospheric aerosols
- Collaborate with data scientist on development, assessment and application of machine learning based methods for solving the inverse problem posed by polarimetry
- Collaborate with internal and external project team members for closure studies based on parallel in situ and remote sensing observations
- Write and contribute to high quality peer-reviewed publications on aerosol polarimetry
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Martin Gysel Beer, phone +41 56 310 41 68. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application online by 20 February 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 5502-03).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland, www.psi.ch
- PhD degree in physics, environmental sciences/engineering, or closely related fields
- Experience with optical, physical and chemical experimental methods to characterize aerosols
- Programming and data analysis skills to handle and interpret large data sets
- Interest in atmospheric processes combined with initiative and enthusiasm to conduct research in a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
EURAXESS offer ID: 713577
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.