ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre for Research in Economics and Management (NIPE)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/12/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Braga
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK35
- A call is open for 1 Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, within the scope of the R&D project "CLICTOUR - Climate change resilient tourism in protected areas of Northern Portugal", reference no. NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-000079, co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund, through the Operational Programme of the North Region - NORTE 2020.
The call for applications is open from 19/11/2021 till 15/12/2021. Applications must be formalized by sending an application letter with the following documents: curriculum vitae; qualifications certificate or declaration of the applicant; motivation letter; statement proving that meets the conditions for the grant typology, according to the application requirements; other documents necessary to the evaluation process.
Applications must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the reference of the call for applications in the email subject "CLICTOUR_POSTDOC_NIPE”. Applications submitted by other means will not be accepted.
Scientific Area: Economics
Recipient category: The post-doctoral research fellowship is intended for candidates with a PhD in Economics or related areas.
Requirement for granting the fellowship:
- Hold a doctoral degree obtained within the three years before the date of application submission;
- Have carried out the research work that led to the award of the PhD degree in an entity other than the host unit (Centre for Research in Economic and Management - NIPE);
- Not exceed, with the signing of the contract in question, including possible renewals, an accumulated period of three years in that type of scholarship, consecutive or interpolated.
- Admissibility requirements
- Hold a PhD in the area of Economics or related fields;
- Hold a PhD degree obtained within the three years before the date of submission of the application;
- Proven knowledge in input-output models and/or general equilibrium models, including social accounting matrices and/or other aspects related to general equilibrium models;
- Knowledge of GAMS or other mathematical programming and optimisation language;
- Ability to manage research projects and teams;
- Oral and written fluency in English;
- To have carried out the research work that led to the award of the PhD degree in an entity other than the host unit (Centre for Research in Economic and Management - NIPE).
Candidates who do not meet all the above requirements will be excluded.
Application Admissibility Requirements
It is essential, under penalty of non-admission to the call, to attach to the application the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Certificates of the previous academic degrees held, specifying the final classification mandatorily and, if possible, the classifications obtained in all the curricular units performed. Alternatively, the candidate must submit a declaration of honour, declaring that he/she has completed the Phd Degree required in this call, at the time of the application deadline;
- For degrees obtained abroad, proof of recognition of academic degrees assigned by foreign higher education institutions and registration of the conversion of the final classification (GPA) to the Portuguese classification scale, or, alternatively, the candidate's declaration of honour declaring that he/she has obtained the recognition of the foreign degree equivalent to that of a Degree and the Master Degree required in this call, at the time the application deadline;
- Motivation Letter.
Workplan and objectives to be achieved:
Aim: Develop research related to socio-economic analysis to frame protected areas in the new context and concept of tourism, specifically targeting climate extremes, forest fires, and coastal erosion. Develop research on the general equilibrium model of the project. Support to the coordination of the project and the work teams.
The fellowship holder will carry out activities in support to the organization and technical-scientific development of the project, namely:
- Validation of the literature review on the expansion of the social accounting matrix for tourism activities;
- Validation of the literature review on the application of climate impact coefficients in economic activity sectors;
- Support to the coordination of the collection of information for the construction of the social accounting matrix and the IO / CGE model (in particular, factor endowment and elasticities);
- Research development for the development of a regional social accounting matrix and development of the CGE model;
- Support to the coordination of fieldwork in the study areas and supervision of the data collection process;
- Support to the project and team management;
- Preparation of technical and scientific reports;
- Participation in project monitoring meetings;
- Development of dissemination actions for the project and its results;
- Other tasks to support the development of the project.
Host/Contracting institution and scientific supervision: The workplan will be carried out at the Centre for Research in Economics and Management (NIPE), University of Minho, located in the Campus de Gualtar, Braga, Portugal, and in other places necessary, under the scientific orientation of Assistant Professor Rita Sousa.
Criteria and procedures for applications assessment and selection: The applications assessment will focus on the Applicant's Merit, following evaluation criteria, valued on a scale of 1 to 5 values:
Applicant Merit - AM (100%):
- Academic path (considering the classifications of academic degrees), with a weighting of 50%;
- Academic and professional curriculum (considering professional and scientific background), with a weighting of 40%
- Experience in projects similar to the project CLICTOUR, with a weighting of 10%.
The final classification of the applicant’s merit with the achieved through the following formula:
AM = (a*0,5) +(b*0,4) +(c*0,1)
Candidates placed in the first three places, who obtain a minimum score of 3 points, will be called for an interview (INT), in which the Jury will assess the following sub-criteria:
Interview - INT:
- Interpersonal skills (30%);
- Demonstrated knowledge in the area of the competition (40%)
- Motivation (20%);
- Language Skills (10%).
The Jury also decided to value the Interview, according to the following levels: High - 5 points; Good - 4 points; Sufficient - 3 points; Low - 2 points; Insufficient - 1 point.
The classification of the Interview (INT) will be obtained by applying the following formula:
INT = (a*0,3) + (b*0,4) + (c*0,2) + (d*0,1)
The final classification (FC) of the Applicant Merit (AM) and Interview (INT) will be obtained by applying the following formula:
FC = (AM×0,7) + (INT×0,3)
In the absence of the interview, the final classification (FC) will correspond to 100% of the evaluation obtained in the Applicant Merit (AM).
The academic degrees and diplomas documents, or their respective recognition when awarded by foreign higher education institutions, are not mandatory in the application phase, being replaced by a declaration of honor of the candidate with the contents of academic results. The academic qualification documents or respective recognition will be required in the contracting phase and must attest facts that occurred on a date prior to the application. In situations of divergence between the information contained in the declaration and the documentation submitted for contracting the grant, only the information contained in the latter will be consider. If the documents proving the ownership of the academic degree and diploma, or the respective recognition under the terms of Decree-Law No. 66/2018, of August 16, do not correspond to the classifications awarded in the evaluation of the academic path, which can change the candidate's ranking, the fellowship won’t be contracted.
Notes: Applicants with degrees obtained abroad must present proof of recognition of qualifications in Portugal and conversion of the final classification obtained in them to the Portuguese classification scale or declaration under the terms indicated in the previous point. Candidates who do not comply with one of these provisions, the selection panel will assign “0” in the graduation and/or master course grade. Candidates will be evaluated on the remaining parameters.
Disclouse of results: The provisional results of applications, based in the selection panel minutes, will be send to the applicants by email until 90 working days from the applications deadline.
If case of unfavourable results, the candidates have a period of 10 working days to comment, if desired, in a prior hearing to interested parties, according to articles 121 and 122 of the Code of Administrative Procedure (DL no. 4 / 2015 of January 7th).
Complaint and appeal procedures: The final results of the evaluation will be published through an ordered list, posted in a visible and public place of the host unit, as well as by email to all applicants, enclosing for that purpose the minutes of the jury deliberations.
The selected candidate must inform its willingness to accept the grant in writing. In case of rejection, the fellowship will be awarded to the next candidate in the ordered list of applicants.
The final decision can be contested within 15 working days by sending the corresponding claim to the President of the jury. Interested parties may also submit an optional hierarchical appeal addressed to the Pro-Rector for Research and Projects, Professor Filipe Vaz.
Fellowship contractualization: The fellowship will be attributed by signing a fellowship contract between the University of Minho and the fellow, accordingly with the contract minute (annex IV of the Regulation of Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in Diário da República, 2nd Série, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021, as indicated in 2.4 of the FCT document: “Rules for Granting and Management of Grants within the scope of R&D projects, including infrastructure projects, the multi-annual financing program for R&D units and other FCT financing instruments (Version 2021)”.
The contract may only be concluded after all the documentation required is collected, which must take place within a maximum period of 6 months.
Once all the documentation has been received, the contracting entity has a period of 60 working days to conclude the scholarship contract. Once received, the fellow must return the contract duly signed within 15 working days.
The activities under the fellowship contract can only began after proper authorization by the contracting entity.
Term and cancellation of fellowship contracts: Without prejudice to the other causes provided the fellowship regulations (FCT and UMinho) and in the Statute of the Research Fellow, the fellowship ends with the completion of the work plan, as well as with the expiration date for which it was granted or renewed.
At the end of the fellowship, the grantee is obliged to present a Final Report of the work carried out, in accordance with the objectives and evaluation criteria defined with the scientific advisor, within 30 days after the end of the scholarship.
The final report must be prepared in accordance with Annex I of the Scientific Research Fellowships Regulation of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in Diário da República, 2nd Série, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021.
Fellowship duration: The grant will take place for a period of 12 months, with a provisional starting date in January 2022.
Amount of the research grant: The value stipend (Monthly Maintenance Allowance) is 1646,00 euros per month, following the stipends values published by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT I.P.) in the country (Annex I – Monthly Stipends Values for the maintenance allowances of the FCT Regulation for Research Studentships and Fellowships) and Annex II of the Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in “Diário da República”, 2nd serie, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021, according to the applicable regulation.
Payment is made on the 23rd of each month through bank transfer to the Bank Identification Number of the fellow identified in the contractualization process.
Other benefits: Reimbursement of Voluntary Social Security (Social Security contributions), corresponding to the 1st level of discounts (for research grants with a total duration of 6 months or higher) and personal accident insurance.
Exclusivity regime: The grantee will perform the activities under exclusivity, as foreseen in article 5º of the Research Fellow Statutes and applicable regulations.
Applicants Eligibility: Applicants must comply with the eligibility conditions laid down in article 9 of the Research Grants Regulation of the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (2019).
Applicable legislation and regulations: Research Fellowship Holder Statutes, approved by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current version published by Decree-Law no. 123/2019 of august 28; Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in “Diário da República”, 2nd serie, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021 and Regulation of Research Studentships and Fellowships (RBI) of the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. - in force.
Please consult the “OFFER DESCRIPTION” section to see all the selection methods.
Selection panel President: Rita Sousa, Assistant Professor at the School of Economics and Management of the University.
Effective Members: João Cerejeira, Assistant Professor at the School of Economics and Management of the University of Minho; Linda Veiga, Full Professor at the School of Economics and Management of the University of Minho.
Substitute Members: António Vieira, Assistant Professor at the Institute of Social Sciences of the University of Minho; Luís Aguiar-Conraria, Full Professor at the School of Economics and Management of the University of Minho.
The first effective member will substitute the President of the selection panel in case of impediment, being nominated the first substitute member in the place of the first effective member.
Contract template and final report template (link).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEconomics: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Please consult the “OFFER DESCRIPTION” section to see the skills and qualifications required.
- Experience in research projects in the area of environmental economics, tourism, or other relevant areas.
EURAXESS offer ID: 708913
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.