ORGANISATION/COMPANYSchool of Medicine of the University of Minho
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE22/11/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Braga
NOTE: To consult the extensive English version of this notice and also the Portuguese version, please consult the pdf attached to this announcement on "Where to Apply".
A call for applications is now open for the attribution of 1 (one) Research Fellowship for Master Student or for Bachelor Enrolled in a Non-Academic Degree Course within the scope of the R&D project “Social memory and its neural correlates in multiple sclerosis”, with the reference EXPL/MEC-NEU/0888/2021, financed by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) I.P, exclusively by national funds through OE [financial support from the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) I.P /MCTES through national funds (PIDDAC)], under the following conditions:
Workplan and objectives to be achieved:
a) The plan aims to develop and consolidate the scientific training of the scholarship holder, through involvement in research work, carrying out the following R&D activities:
- Assessment of social memory in multiple sclerosis patients and respective controls;
- Acquisition and bioinformatic analysis of structural and functional neuroimaging data from magnetic resonance imaging in multiple sclerosis patients and respective controls.
b) Successful outcomes are defined as follows:
- Execution of the aforementioned tasks according to the internationally accepted criteria of technical quality and assuring own and participants’ safety
- Detection of less than 10% of failures in execution of the aforementioned tasks.
Fellowship duration: The grant will take place for a period of 12 months, with a provisional starting date on January 2022. The fellowship grant may eventually be renewed, after a positive evaluation, not exceeding the maximum duration of the project that is expected to end 16-07-2023 and the maximum duration of the scholarship:
- 2 years: Master students
- 1 year: graduates enrolled in non-conferring courses that do not award an academic degree (the total duration of the scholarship cannot exceed an accumulated period of 2 years, consecutive or interpolated; resuming, a fellow cannot accumulate more than 2 years in this typology of research fellowship).
Application deadline and submission: The call for applications is open from 09/11/2021 till 22/11/2021.
Applications must be formalized by sending an application letter with the following documents (in PDF format preferably):
- Curriculum vitae (preferably https://cienciavitae.pt/);
- Qualifications certificate (Bachelor's degree) indicating the final grade obtained or declaration of the applicant*;
- Motivation letter;
- Declaration of honor proving that meets the conditions for the grant typology, according to the application requirements (namely the requirements of subparagraph b) and c) of the point “Candidates profile”);
- Other documents that the candidate considers as important to the evaluation process.
Applications must be sent by email to (firstname.lastname@example.org), indicating the reference of the call for applications [ICVS_BI_2021_012(1)] in Subject. Applications submitted by other means will not be accepted, as well as failure to comply with the deadline for submission, and the lack of submission of the aforementioned documents, determines the exclusion of the application.
* The academic degrees and diplomas documents, or their respective recognition when awarded by foreign higher education institutions are not mandatory in the application phase, being replaced by a declaration of honor of the candidate with the contents of academic results. The documents of academic qualification or respective recognition will be required in the contracting phase and must attest facts that occurred on a date prior to the application. In situations of divergence between the information contained in the declaration and the documentation submitted for contracting the grant, only the information contained in the latter will be consider. If the documents proving the ownership of the academic degree and diploma, or the respective recognition under the terms of Decree-Law No. 66/2018, of August 16, do not correspond to the classifications awarded in the evaluation of the academic path, which can change the candidate's ranking, the fellowship won’t be contracted.
Notes: Applicants with degrees obtained abroad must present proof of recognition of qualifications in Portugal and conversion of the final classification obtained in them to the Portuguese classification scale or declaration under the terms indicated in the previous point. Candidates who do not comply with one of these provisions, the selection panel will assign “0” in the grade of the graduation and/or master course. Candidates will be evaluated on the remaining parameters.
Documentation for contracting: proof of enrollment in a Master Degree Course or in a Non-Academic Degree Course integrated in the educational project of the institution (UMinho); proof of academic qualifications completed at the deadline for applications, including those resulting from academic degree recognition processes; and other documentation according to article 14 of the RBI of FCT and required by the contracting entity.
Applicable legislation and regulations: Research Fellowship Holder Statutes, approved by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current version published by Decree-Law no. 123/2019 of august 28; Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in “Diário da República”, 2nd serie, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021 and Regulation of Research Studentships and Fellowships (RBI) of the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. - in force.
Host/Contracting institution and scientific supervision: The workplan will be carried out in the Life and Health Sciences Research Institute (ICVS), of the School of Medicine (EM) of University of Minho, located in the Campus de Gualtar, under the scientific supervision of the Doctor Torcato Duarte Novo Meira.
Amount of the research grant: 835,98 euros per month - stipends values published by the FCT I.P. Payment is made on the 23st of each month, through bank. Other benefits: Reimbursement of Voluntary Social Security and personal accident insurance.
Selection panel: President: Doctor Torcato Meira; Effective Members: Doctor Tiago Gil Oliveira; Doctor Patrício Costa; Substitute Members: Doctor João Sousa; Doctor João da Silva. Selection criteria: scale of 1 to 5 values: Applicant Merit - AM (70%): ML) Motivation letter: content of motivation letter is considered, 10%; AP) Academic path: reflects appropriate academic path to the workplan and classifications of academic degrees, 45%, being considered the following: AP.1) Fitting of academic path to the workplan, 40%; AP.2) Classification of academic degrees, 60%; CV) Currículum vitae: reflects scientific background and professional path (including volunteer work, internships, laboratory rotations and others), 45%. Formula: AM = (ML×0,10) + (AP×0,45) + (CV×0,45). Candidates who obtain a score below 2.5 on the AM will be immediately excluded from this tender procedure. The INT will only be carried out to candidates who obtain a rating equal to or greater than 2.5 values in the AM, with a maximum of 3 (three) candidates with the highest ratings in the AM being summoned. Interview - INT (30%): MT) Motivation: the level of motivation is considered, 40%; CC) Correlation capacity: reflects the candidate's ability to correlate their experience and interpersonal skills in relation to the work plan, 40%; TW) Teamwork: comprises the demonstration of the ability to work in a team, 20%. Formula: ENT = (MT*0,40) + (CC*0,40) + (TW*0,20) Candidates who obtain a score below 2.5 on the INT will be immediately excluded from this tender procedure. The final classification formula: FC = (AM*0,70) + (INT*0,30). Disclosure of results: The provisional results of applications, based in the selection panel minutes, will be send to the applicants by email, according to article 12 of the RBI of FCT. If case of unfavourable results, the candidates have a period of 10 working days to comment, if desired, in a prior hearing to interested parties, pursuant to articles 121 and 122 of the Code of Administrative Procedure. Constitution of a selection reserve list: The applicants ranked in the next positions on the ordered list will be included in a selection reserve list, which can be used until 16/01/2023. Complaint and appeal procedures: The final decision can be contested within 15 working days, by sending to the President of the jury the corresponding claim. Interested parties may also submit an optional hierarchical appeal, addressed to the Pro-Rector for Research and Projects.
Fellowship contract: annex IV of the RBIC of UMinho, published in Diário da República, 2nd Série, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021, as indicated in 2.4 of the FCT. Final report: Annex I of the RBIC of UMinho.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELOther: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Mandatory requirements:
- Bachelor in the areas of Health Sciences, Biology, Biochemistry, Engineering or related areas;
- Not benefited from a non-conferring degree research grant for a cumulative period of 2 years followed or interpolated – applicable to the typology of fellowships for bachelor enrolled in a non-academic degree course;
- Contracting requirements:
- Enrollment in a Master's Degree in Health Sciences, Biology, Biochemistry, Engineering or related scientific areas - applicable to the typology of fellowships for students enrolled in master; Enrollment in a Non-Academic Degree Course integrated in the educational project of the institution (UMinho) developed in association or cooperation with one or several R&D units – applicable to the typology of fellowships for bachelor enrolled in a non-academic degree course; Proof of academic qualifications completed at the deadline for applications, including those resulting from academic degree recognition processes.
 Requirements verified on the date of contracting the fellowship. Through the declaration of honor, the candidate must certify that meets the conditions for the type of fellowship.
Requirement for granting the fellowship:
- The applicants may apply without prior registration in the course for which the fellowship is open. The requirement to enroll in a degree course or non-academic degree course will be verified on the date of contracting the fellowship; Only fellowships whose selected applicants present a valid proof of enrollment in a degree course or non-academic degree course will be contracted, according to the type of the fellowship, issued by the academic services of the Higher Education Institution, indicating, respectively, the academic year or its duration (star and term); Enrollment in non-certified courses (without curricular units) will not be considered as proof of enrolment (if applicable).
Applicants eligibility: Applicants must comply with the eligibility conditions laid down in article 9 of the Research Grants Regulation of the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (2019).
EURAXESS offer ID: 705543
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.