ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe Cyprus Institute
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Electronic engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/12/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Nicosia
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK40
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary research, innovation, and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centres, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
In order to further extend its research activities in the field of heritage protection and monitoring through UAV-based systems as well as to further develop new aerial imaging applications in the field of surveillance to prevent looting and illegal archaeological excavations, the Cyprus Institute is seeking for a Post-Doctoral Fellow in Remote Sensing/Imaging for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) with experience in data acquisition, live data streaming and processing of aerial remote sensing data.
This position is supported by the RIF CPU_0619_0060 project SHIELD (Safeguard Heritage in Endangered Looted Districts) funded through the Joint Programming Initiative on Cultural Heritage (JPICH).
SHIELD Project aims at designing and building an artificially intelligent Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) to patrol archaeological and heritage sites using the latest technologies in imaging techniques, live data streaming, decentralized (onboard) processing, Machine Learning, and flight data management.
The customized surveillance device is expected to be autonomously deployed from a ground station (helipad) on scheduled operations both during night and day routine flights. The system is foreseen to take-off, patrol a targeted area, stream live data, land, recharge the batteries and stand-by for the next scheduled operation. The final goals are represented by the identification of looting activities in real-time, the collection of data for monitoring purposes on the medium and long-term period and the creation of a deterrence strategy to target specific criminal behavior.
SHIELD has been built around the scope and objectives of the JPICH call aiming to address different thematic areas. SHIELD final goal is to develop a new tool purposely tailored for its integration into thematic policies and strategies for the protection of cultural heritage, implemented by the relevant stakeholders such as Departments of Antiquities and Police Corps.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Research and Development Team of the USRL under the supervision of the SHIELD Project Leader.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Processing and Analysis of UAV based remote sensing data using Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence algorithms.
- Flight Planning, Image Acquisition and Processing for 3D reconstruction and change detection using Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence algorithms.
- Cooperate with PhD/MSc students and develop small applications for data acquisition and data manipulation of their scientific instruments.
- Assist in the development of software/hardware for image acquisition and processing systems.
- Participate in scheduled Test Flights for the purpose of the development and optimization of the imaging systems.
- Participate in field deployment (including research campaigns) and demonstrations of UAVs in Cyprus and abroad.
- Remain updated on UAS imaging systems and associated technology and make appropriate recommendations to the team leader.
- Ensure compliance with service guidance, Institute’s policy and procedures and Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three references (including contact information). All documentation should be in English and in PDF Format. For further information, please contact Dante Abate (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- PhD in Electronic Engineering, Remote Sensing or similar
- 2-year experience after completion of PhD
- Knowledge in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Experience in applications using aerial imaging (2D and 3D) using Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence algorithms.
- Integration of Remote Sensing Data (Infrared, Visual, HyperSpectral, Multispectral, LIDAR) in GIS systems.
- Programming Skills
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and project planning skills.
- Excellent knowledge English language both verbal and written.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Knowledge/Experience in Geometric representation
- Knowledge/Experience in Image processing
- Knowledge/Experience in 3D GIS
- Knowledge in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the 2D domain
EURAXESS offer ID: 704118
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.