ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Iceland
RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/12/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONIceland › Reykjavík
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
The Language and Technology lab at the University of Iceland, led by associate professor Dr. Anton Karl Ingason, is seeking to hire a full time post-doctoral researcher in Language Technology. The position is initially for 12 months and can be extended by 18 additional months.
The position is a part of the project Assessing Cognitive Decline Through Automatic Language Analysis (ACoDe); this is a three-year research project which is backed by the The Strategic Research and Development Programme for Language Technology and which is in collaboration with the Memory Clinic in Reykjavík, the company Mentis Cura, and the Árni Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies. The goal of this project is to develop automatic language analysis software that can monitor and identify cognitive decline as associated with dementia and its preclinical stages.
The person that will be hired will be using NLP tools to extract features from speech samples and they will develop a system that uses these features, combined with an analysis of EEG recordings, in order to predict a clinical diagnosis.
Our group works at the intersection of Language and Technology. In addition to our work on Cognitive Decline, we focus on automated assistance for language use (such as proofreading), corpora (especially treebanks) and parsing, Language Technology infrastructure, and the interfaces between language, society, and technology. We emphasize work that is related to the Icelandic language but the methods we use are in general language-independent.
Application deadline is 01.12.2021
The positions start date is as soon as possible.
The application materials must be submitted before the application deadline. The application must be in English or Icelandic and must include:
- A letter that explains why you are the right candidate for the job.
- A detailed CV with a list of publications and other relevant items.
- Full text of your most important publications (in your opinion). In the case of co-authored work, describe your role in the work in question.
- Documentation of academic degrees (degree certificates).
- Names and emails of two references.
In recent studies, Iceland ranks #1 out of the countries evaluated by the Global Gender Gap Index (most equal) and the country also ranks #1 on the OECD Index for LGBTI inclusiveness. Iceland also has Universal Healthcare.
Salaries follow the standardised wage agreements between the Association of University Teachers (Félag háskólakennara, www.fh.hi.is) and the Ministry of Finances.
All applications will be answered and applicants will be informed about the appointment when a decision has been made.
Appointments to positions at the University of Iceland are made in consideration of the Equal Rights Policy of the University of Iceland.
The University of Iceland has a special Language Policy. Note that for this position, previous knowledge of Icelandic is not required.
Contact information for inquiries
Inquiries regarding the application process and practical matters linked to working at the University of Iceland can be addressed to Dr. Eiríkur Smári Sigurðarson, Director of Research at the School of Humanities, email@example.com.
Inquiries regarding the work carried out at the Language and Technology lab can be addressed to Dr. Anton Karl Ingason, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must hold a PhD in a discipline related to Language Technology, such as Computer Science or Linguistics or have an expected PhD award date (with evidence) before the start date of the position.
- You must have experience and/or interests that are a good fit for our group.
- You must have good programming skills. We often use Python and related technologies.
- You should be able to make use of modern approaches to Natural Language Processing and you should be able to analyze quantitative findings from experimental studies. Be clear in your application about any background in Machine Learning, Statistics, and related fields.
- You need to have good written and spoken English language skills.
- You should be able to actively participate in preparing grant proposals.
EURAXESS offer ID: 702844
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.